Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At last, it's all done...

+2
Steve Traill
miller
6 posters

Go down

At last, it's all done... Empty At last, it's all done...

Post  miller Thu 22 Apr 2010, 6:47 pm

the final design that is cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

after a lot of work, Steve is now confident that he has tweaked and adjusted the design to a point where we can go ahead and produce certain parts without the risk of things not fitting.

the horn plates were the main concern as any mistakes here would to a pain, as well as costly to sort out latter.

so to celebrate Steve plans to include a CD of all available E drawings and the software needed to view them in a future kit cheers

here's a couple of images for you to dribble over till then...

At last, it's all done... Showmans

At last, it's all done... Roadloco
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

At last, it's all done... Empty Rubbing pads

Post  Steve Traill Thu 22 Apr 2010, 8:59 pm

I just had a thought as I looked at the drawing of the Road Loco, will the front wheels on full lock touch the cleading/belly tanks & if so will there be a rubbing block like I've seen on some of the full size engines? It just looked a bit close, unlike the Showmans that has a longer boiler. bounce
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

At last, it's all done... Empty Re: At last, it's all done...

Post  sonick45 Fri 23 Apr 2010, 10:05 am

Fantastic drawings Steve, quite an achievement.
I hope you can get the CD's done sometime soon as i'm interested in seeing the finished product from every conceivable angle.

I think its more the viewing angle that makes it look like the wheels will touch the belly tank on the RL.
I do think the cleading needs some rubbing pads thou.
We wouldn't want those big wheels rubbing off our nice paint jobs everytime we turn a corner...

At last, it's all done... 04the-11

I also noticed on the drawings the piston ends on the RL don't have plates on them like the showmans.

Will the RL have plates? and if this wasn't planned can they be added as they look really nice on show.

At last, it's all done... Tracti10

cheers
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 23 Apr 2010, 3:50 pm

Its a good job Steves on the ball. After seeing his comments about the RL belly tank I checked the distance between the edge of the wheel and the belly tank front plate. It was 96mm which would have significantly reduced the available steering lock. It would have meant that rubbing blocks were not needed though Laughing

The distance is now nearly 160mm. We were thinking of supplying some black rubber sheet for the rubbing blocks. To answer Nicks question, we will be supplying cylinder end covers, they just won't have the stars in them.

There are still a few things to sort out with the designs, but now they're to this stage we can at least think about producing the hornplate kit to help fill in the gaps caused by casting delays.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

At last, it's all done... Empty Rubbing blocks

Post  Steve Traill Fri 23 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm

The rubbing blocks are a last resort really as the limiting chain on the steering chains should stop the wheels touching the cleading. However when negotiating a rally field it's not unusual to end up cross axled and then the wheels can end up going a bit further. Has the belly tank been moved further back to create the space or has a few inches been added to the boiler? keep up the good work!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 24 Apr 2010, 7:17 am

I'm parked up fairly close to 'Ex-Mayor'at the SAC do at Old Warden.
The rubbing blocks are substantial bits of rubber that look to be bolted to the cleading with two fixings. These are covered in mastic, so difficult to tell exactly what they are. I would think that some studding held captive in the cleading with a nut on the outside would be an option: you probably wouldn't want the bolt head touching the boiler as it would transfer heat to the rubber.

These rubber blocks are very common on Burrells with big front wheels.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 24 Apr 2010, 8:59 am

Thanks Tim. It might be better if we supplied some rolled steel plate, say 3mm thick that can be rounded at the edges. It could be attached from the inside and protruding threads filed to the steel surface. The insulation on the DCC will be ceramic fiber so we'll need to provide support for the cladding as well as under the rubbing blocks.

To answer Steves question about the mods to improve steering clearance; I reduced the distance between the boiler and belly tank, reduce the belly tank size (the RL & Showmans are now different) and increased the boiler length. I've compared these new profiles with side views of both Ex-Mayor and The President and that do look pretty good. The is actually quite a big difference between the forward faces of the belly tanks on the two engines which is now replicated in our design.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 24 Apr 2010, 10:25 am

Not for the first time I was talking out of the wrong orifice!

On looking at Ex-Mayor in day light and speaking to her carer, the pads are solid steel held onto the boiler with four rivets. The cleading goes around the pads. Rubber would not, apparently last five minutes. I would think that suitably shaped thick steel pads fixed to the cleading with bolts tapped into the steel from behi d would work well. I think rubber would be a liabilty as it would have friction and would 'grab' and then strain the cleading when touched by the wheel.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Sat 24 Apr 2010, 2:40 pm

Has the crane turret been left off for ease of driving or has it just not been added to the drawing yet ?.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 24 Apr 2010, 2:51 pm

Hi Andy,

We will not be supplying the crane turret or anything to do with the cranne. It is not practical for driving.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

At last, it's all done... Empty Showmans crane

Post  Steve Traill Sat 24 Apr 2010, 8:29 pm

If anyone wanted a showmans crane purely for display purposes then it could be fabricated from wood (for lightness) and just fitted on for display. To have it made in steel it would be a 'right old lump' to lug around to rallies and built carefully in ply & hardwood it could be difficult to tell the difference. Just an idea anyway! Basketball
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum