Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman

+3
Julia
Tony King
lynnr
7 posters

Go down

Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman Empty Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman

Post  lynnr Sat 18 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

Hi All

Been doing a bit of Trigonometry today. Yes I know it is a saturday.

Well I have been measuring up for trailer fitting.

Widest point. Rear wheels = 840mm track width.
Rear wheels width = 150mm

Front wheels = 640mm track
Front wheel width = 70mm
Inside min track = 500mm

Wheelbase = 1260mm

Total height = 1223mm (May be highter with the extension chimney)
Total length = (Unknown at the moment. Arms not long enough)

Using a standard IIfor Williams trailer.
Bed height 620mm with 2400mm ramp length.
Gives a crest over angle of 14.9deg.

Rear departure angle is 34deg.

The crest over angle of the engine (Showman as longer) is 13.6deg. This is due to the stearing worm.

This gives a interferance of 1.5deg approx. BUT that is with the trailer perfectly flat and solid. In practice the trailer will dip due to the weight on the ramps and rear of the bed.

Road loco should be clear as it is a few inches shorter on the wheelbase.

If the angle is a problem in practice I will be making some combination chocks. So the chock will be for the wheels while on the trailer but also will have a longer back end to allow the ramps to rest on and provide a extension to length to reduce the crest angle. Also will stop the ramps digging into soft ground.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman Empty Trailer trig!!

Post  Tony King Sat 18 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

Lynn, you've obviously run out of things to do on your engine!!................. Have you got a winch in mind to pull your engine up into the trailer?
Tony.

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman Empty Re: Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman

Post  lynnr Sat 18 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

Hi Tony

Yes going to mount a winch on the trailer with a rotating snatch block. That will allow the winch to be used to pull the engine on and also to pull the trailer to the car for single handed hitching up and to pull the trailer up the drive.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman Empty Re: Trailer measurements. Burrell 4" Showman

Post  Julia Sat 18 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

Lynn
I can't quite see the sum you have done presumably checking that the centre on the engine does not ground on the transition from ramp to trailer bed. Don't forget to check that the back of the tender does not ground on the transition from ramp to grass. This can be a problem when your ramp ends end up in a dip.

The C of G of you engine will vary depending on how much water you have on board (wet or dry engine). If you want to have your nose weight just right design you trailer loading so that you can adjust. Having some heavy movable items such as coal can save the effort of moving the engine and resecuring.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 18 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

Hi. Julia. Rear end clearance is not a problem it is at 34deg. how is your 6" build going? not seen you on tt for quite a while.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

Hello Lin,

I too have started to think about my trailer. What I have considered is:

it wide enough
it long enough
will it take the weight
will it come with a winch?

Oh and do I like the look of it Laughing.

(And yes before anybody asks, I bought my last car because I liked the colour.)

All the best,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

Brian M wrote:Hello Lin,

I too have started to think about my trailer. What I have considered is:

it wide enough
it long enough
will it take the weight
will it come with a winch?

Oh and do I like the look of it Laughing.

(And yes before anybody asks, I bought my last car because I liked the colour.)

All the best,

Brian M

Width 5'5" engine and trailers should fit side by side.
Length 8' will take the engine but 10' is better.
Gross all up. Mine will be 2.7t but will be run at 2t = car limit. Lots of extra strength for off roading.
Also makes the position of the engine across the way not critical as any single wheel set will be rated to take the full load.
Winch fitted to take 2t easily.

Colour that is what spray guns are for. Bright day glow pink sounds interesting.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

Hi Lin,

Therefore,

weight of the trailer + engine + water and miscellaneous, such as coal = 2.5 tonne.

I think I need a new car, my dry kerb weight is 1.6

Cheers,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:13 pm

I'm the same, working on finding a 2nd vehicle to cope with a breaker trailer weight of 2.5t. At the moment Land Rover and Range Rover are coming in that bracket, there is the Merc ML and G wagon and a BMW but very limited.

Once someone has had the engine on a weigh bridge will decide which way to go.....I may be back to the idea of a bus, but not so good off road.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 20 Jul 2019, 5:09 pm

Hi,

Just came across that thread as I am just now planning for my trailer.

Lynn stated and measured her engine to have a wheelbase of 1260 mm. From what I think to remember the length overall should be around 2200 mm or thereabouts.

Just been out to garage aka workshop and measured wheelbase of 1150 mm and a total length of about 2050 mm. Not much of a surprise to me as I learned that Showmans have a longer boiler and of course the generator up front.

Could anybody with Road Loco (DCC) please have a look at their engine with a measuring tape and cross-check my measurements.

The trailer I‘ve been looking at is a combination of caravan and goods trailer with a „garage“ ( the space for goods) either in 2500 or 3000 mm long. As I have to decide upon ordering which one I‘d need, a good idea of what to go for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers

Elwood

Last edited by elwood-59 on Sat 20 Jul 2019, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos corrected)
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiburrell Sun 21 Jul 2019, 1:37 am

Hi all, my trailer is 1550mm internal and 2400 long. I got the trailer built for shifting around my mg6 crawler tractor. Yes it has 300 high sides but I wanted a trailer that is also useful for other things, like garden waste etc.
my car is a Holden commodore and with the engine on the trailer I come just under 3t total weight ( was checked at my work due to having a weight bridge there)

Kiwiburrell

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down