Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future plans

+2
Steam Traction World
Vapor
6 posters

Go down

Future plans Empty Future plans

Post  Vapor Tue 23 Dec 2008, 4:42 pm

Steve/Dean

I noticed on the STW web site future plans for a Foden J Type, did I miss something do you have any more info?? or is it just a posiblity??, be interested in what scale I assume it would be 4". confused

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty Re: Future plans

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 23 Dec 2008, 5:22 pm

Hi Ian,

We are planning to do a Foden J type plus a timber tractor, both in 4.5" scale. There isn't any further information at present as Steve is just finalising the design, however i have posted a photograph below of the Foden we will be basing our J type on. Pricing and diamensions should be available in the New Year.

The owner, Stuart Ritchie who is based in County Durham very kindly let us visit his workshop earlier in the year, crawl all over his engine and take 100's of photographs.

A deposit will be accepted before Christmas if you fancy one. Very Happy

All the best

Dean

P.S. I've also added the 3D Graphics for the design at it's current stage.

Future plans Ritchi10

Future plans Unit__10

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 23 Dec 2008, 9:22 pm

Dean,

Very nice will give you a call in the morning to get some more info you never know it could be my next proect/christmas present Very Happy

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty is there any news on the Foden J Type yet??

Post  C D Hall Tue 20 Jan 2009, 9:14 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if steam traction world has set dwn a price and leaflets yet for there future project - the Foden J Type.

thanks

Chris Very Happy

C D Hall

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 09 Mar 2009, 8:08 am

Hi Chris,

I know it's been a while answering but we do have a price now for the two new lorries we will be releasing. The reason for the delay was, we were trying to see if we could bring the price down slightly and therefore wanted to cost the parts. Reducing the price compared to the 'C' type has not been possible mainly due to the extra detail we will be providing in the two new releases. Both the new lorries will have cab windows, cylinder covers, improved front axle and brake arrangement, double rear wheels plus the the extra towing parts and additional water tanks on the short wheel base version. The trailer for those who decide to purchase the artic version will be additional. (A best guess at the minute is 4 kits at approx £500 each). We anticipate that both engines would be able to be interchangable meaning that once you have committed to one it would be still possible to purchase parts for the other style engine enabling you to present it a rallies as either version.

The models will be available over 26 kits with a deposit of £699 and each kit priced at £550. Total price including VAT and UK delivery is £14999.00. The first ten orders will save £300 on their deposit price, reducing it to £399 and the overall cost to £14699.00

I shall be adding some further photo's of both engines plus some technical details to both the forum and website shortly.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty 2" models

Post  Big Al Tue 10 Mar 2009, 7:15 am

What about us people that haven't got the room for 4" models?
I would certainly be interested in any new 2" model range, the Fodens look good! I would love to build a 4" but space is the restricting factor with only a single garage to work with. Still don't know where the 2" Burrell is going to go when finished. I am hoping to put it on a plinth in the conservatory, when its not being fired up, as a centre piece, only got to convince the good lady it would look good.
If STW do not produce a new 2" then they have lost one potential customer, shame. Crying or Very sad

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 10 Mar 2009, 7:55 am

Hi Alan,

With the limited resourse we currently have it would be impossible to produce a new batch of lorries, a batch of Showmans plus complete the current range and then try to additionally fit in another 2" model. The Foden C Type's are down to the last couple and the 4" Burrell only has a dozen of the fifty left. In comparison, of the 100 2" Burrells manufactured there still are 40 to sell. If we released another 2" engine too soon there is always the danger it could detract from the current model of which we have stock. Stock unless it sells is not only expensive to manufacture it is also expensive to hold on to.

As our current range finishes and the complete sets of kits then start to deplete another 2" engine of course would be considered. I see no why a 2" Showmans version or possibly a 2" Foden couldn't be released in the future, as our next release, if demand was sufficient.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 10 Mar 2009, 10:21 pm

HI DEAN,
THE HIGH BATCH NUMBER OF 100 UNITS FOR THE 2" BURRELL IS SOMETHING YOU HAD 'LEFT OVER' FROM THE MW DAYS, OF COURSE. I REMEMBER TALKING TO YOU EARLY IN THE PRE-ORDERING DAYS OF THE 2", WHEN YOU MENTIONED THAT THE BATCH WAS TO BE 35, BUT AS SALES WERE APPROACHING THAT FIGURE THE BATCH HAD BEEN INCREASED TO 100 (!). AT THE TIME I EXPRESSED SURPRISE AT THE LARGE INCREASE, SAYING SURELY EVEN DOUBLING THE BATCH WOULD BE ENOUGH. WITH 40 STILL TO SELL, 60 MUST BE SOLD, SO THAT WOULD STILL HAVE LEFT 10 SETS TO SELL/STOCK. MORE THAN ENOUGH MONEY TO HAVE TIED IN STOCK FOR ONE ITEM OF YOUR RANGE.

I GUESS THAT NOW YOU AND STEVE HAVE CONTROL, THAT SORT OF BASIC ERROR WOULDN'T HAPPEN NOW.

WE'ED BE UP FOR A 2" SHOWMANS TOO PROB.

REGARDS
BRUCE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 11 Mar 2009, 7:43 pm

Hi Bruce,

Deciding a batch size is never easy. For example the Likamobile which was manufactured in a batch size of 50 had an order book of 25 when production commenced. In the 18 months the car was in production just about all were sold and a further 30 or 40 could have been sold if they had been in stock. Steve and I have had at least 10 potential customers contact us since we've been in business who all wanted to purchase a full set of kits in one hit. Imagine the cash in the bank if they had been available. One of the issues we know we are going to encounter, due to the past, is that a lot of people are now more comfortable purchasing all the kits in one go, eliminating their risk.

In my other business, www.steamfittings.co.uk (free advertising Very Happy ) it is actually cheaper to source 1000+ of certain items than try to manufacture even a small quantity of 50 ourselves.

What we are hoping is that between Steve and I, we work together, using both our experience to manufacture a batch size that is suitable for that particular component, rather than that particular model or run size. This means that some items we may hold a large quantity due to that item being either cheaper to purchase as a large batch or easier just to run a few extra off on the bar fed lathe. Some items though we may just manufacture the quantity required for the order book (plus a couple) and then revisit them when a new order is placed. A cylinder block and a boiler are good examples of this.
Hopefully you will also have noticed that we have added a shop to the website. Any extra parts above the order book we manufacture, we do intend to add to the shop. This will hopefully then generate cash for indiviual items sitting in stock rather than it just sitting on shelf waiting for the relevant kit to be made up or ordered. This has already proven very popular with numerous scratch builders already ordering parts like worms and wheel, chimney caps, crank axles for varius models.

Hopefully this gives you a bit more of an insight to what we are currently doing plus our intensions. (more importantly i hope it makes sense! Smile )

All the best

Dean

P.S. I think a 2" Showmans would also prove very popular only problem is my eldest (he's 14) is building the 2" Burrell and if we release the showmans too early he'll stop and try to pursuade me to let him do the showmans instead. It's good to hear it's an engine you'd consider, hopefully that means you feel we are heading in the right direction. Keep well. Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:54 pm

HI DEAN, YES YOU OUTLINE MY COMMENTS FULLY. I DO AGREE WITH THE COMMENT ON THE PAST PROBS STEERING CUSTOMERS TOWARDS BUYING FULL BATCHS OF KITS (ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY - IS THE PHASE I THINK !). FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW, THAT IS THE WAY WE WOULD DO IT - WE HAVE DICUSSED IT OTHER THE LAST FEW MONTHS, OFF AND ON. Neutral
NOW THAT IS NOT A REFLECTION ON YOU, OR STEVE, IN ANYWAY. JUST A SAFETY KICK BACK, ON PAST EVENTS. Rolling Eyes
IT OF COURSE DOESN'T HELP YOU GUYS WITH TURNOVER SHOULD A LARGE NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS FEEL THAT WAY - CATCH 22 ! Crying or Very sad

REGARDS
BRUCE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty 4.5" Foden SWB

Post  Vapor Thu 12 Mar 2009, 9:49 am

I want one and I want it now"" Very Happy
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty 2" Burrell Scenic Showmans Engine

Post  TonyT Mon 16 Mar 2009, 11:00 pm

After having a good long chat with my wife and kids,we would be very interested in one of these engines.

cheer's Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Wed 22 Jul 2009, 5:14 pm

Hi guys

Anymore thoughts on what the next 2" engine will be?

thank's Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty Future

Post  Big Al Wed 22 Jul 2009, 6:19 pm

Steve/Dean

I'm with Tony on thatl

Also, will the size of the 2" wagon accommodate storing the 2" burrell in it for ease of storage in the garage?

Cheers

Alan (I'm losing weight so will soon be Not So Big Al) Very Happy

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down