Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

+25
MrStationHouse
richspoo
mikero
Steam Traction World
ejparrott
the coleman
iain
IanL
Robfishman
northburrell
Flasback
craig@STW
Graeme81
highpressure
Tim Watson
Brian M
Rickster
LilyJack
Steve Traill
hughb
sonick45
Kevster
lynnr
Tony King
bjwlancashire
29 posters

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Empty Nameplate on for first time!!!!

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

First fitting of one of the nameplates, a proud moment. Motion cover is now off again and at the powder coaters, brass already polished ready to go back on.

See if any of you spot the deliberate mistake (Lynn).

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Wp_00019
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Empty Re: Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

Post  lynnr Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

That will be the front brass trim had been left out and holes welded.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:28 pm

I should know better than to issue a challenge!!! Very Happy Holes were actually filled with 1/8" csk rivets though, not welded - welding is a skill I have yet to acquire and there is no risk of distortion when I use a rivet even though it is fiddly.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Not as bad as my silly mistake. Putting the star on the wrong side of the panel!
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Empty More Progress

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

Been working on the water pump during the week and into the weekend, just final trial assembly of ram to do, about to go in the workshop to do it.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_38

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_39

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Empty THE BIG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

I couldn't wait any more, I finally put some water in Blackbeard, right up to the water lifter valve hole on the cylinder block and checked for leaks - none! Shocked

I then lit the fire and warmed the engine on a wood fire and after some while I let out some water to bring the level back into the gauge class and continued firing until the water boiled. As the secondary whistle hole is not yet plugged and the water lifter and blower valve still need fitting I could not raise pressure but it was so satisfying to finally have steam coming out of it and a fire burning brightly.

I let the fire go out and left the engine to cool slowly, I did not drop the ashpan but left it all together to avoid any cool air getting onto the firebox tube plate.

WHAT A GREAT DAY!! cheers

Sorry about quality of some of the photos the light was fading fast.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_40

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_41

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_42

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_43

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_44

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_45
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:36 pm

Well done buddy, in the background you have a snow shovel in one picture, much snow in your neck of the woods? We were going to fire up this weekend but it been very cold and the snow is still on the ground so did not do it Crying or Very sad . Fitted the side covers instead and got the seat assembly back from the powder coaters, hopefully next weekend Razz how's Nicks engine coming along as I have not seen him post for a while?

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:38 pm

Very well done. Very nice feeling first fire in the belly!

Did she fire well?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

That really is a sight for sore eyes.............. another mile stone achieved........ beautiful seeing smoke & steam coming out of Blackbeard!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

It breathes! its alive!

Well done must be a wonderfull feeling.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

Hi Dwain

Not much snow at all, the shovel was more in hope than necessity. Just a light dusting as you might notice from the side shot od the engine, even 4 miles away a couple of inches fell. We did get some ourselves overnight but it would nothave stopped me lighting up - the engine stayed warm for hours in the garage afterwards and the house smelt of burnt wood all evening as I fired on wood only and the garage door goes directly into the living room.

Are you definately taking your engines to the Manchester exhibitiona nd if so when is it this year?

Nick has been very busy with the extension on his house and "The Mistress" is probably feeling a little left out. He has fitted that huge three chime whistle though, I was down there over Christmas dropping off my belly tank and his engine is looking well, just needs some more motion on it.

Lynn

Firing was fine once I got it going, the wood I started with was probably slightly damp so switched to some old scrap folding chairs which were superb to burn. Also, I did not notice for the first 10 minutes that I had knocked the damper lever and closed the damper Embarassed I also used a stove chimney on top of mine to give it a little more pull. It's amazing how quickly it reacts whe it is boiling once you put some fresh wood on. As we were running with the boiler effectively open, as soon as you put the wood on the boiling became much more vigerouse in a matter of seconds.

BTW what size of tube brush do we need for these engines? The end of the tubes is larger due to the expanding process - anyone bought a tube brush already and if so from where?

After posting the pictures last night I was back in the workshop until 1am this morning putting the other things on the cylinder like the one way oil valve, water lifter valve etc.. to close off the block with a view to steaming under pressure next time. I just need a 1/4" bsp blanking plug for the second whistle hole and we are good to go. Gear change, regulator, motion plates and water pump bits now all at powder coaters, once that lot is back you will notice a difference when it goes back on - just the valves to set then, plus fit the drain cocks and the gear guard which is still under the bench.

A very happy Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:53 pm

Got mine from heritage steam supplies

12 gauge, 3/4" or 20mm. Brass for general running and cleaning. Stainless steal for deposit build up.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 21 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

the house smelt of burnt wood all evening as I fired on wood only and the garage door goes directly into the living room.
It will smell much better on coal and it will burn much slower and longer meaning you can set a fire and leave it for a while and it will still be alight, especially if you get some WDS. Did you experience the rain in the fire box?? Wierd how there seems to be so much condensation in new boilers, it doesnt do it after the first few times.

You wont be able to resist the temptation of trying it if you have all the gear on, you must get all that fitted, when you see it run you'll pop. Dont be suprised if the start valve lets by, easy enough to check with the LP cover off and then it wont make the engine run uncontrollably. Fire it up a few times and get used to it running etc and check all the fittings and then get some tests booked in and get a ticket!!!! I ran mine last week just cos I can now and might do that tomorrow or Wednesday if it doesnt snow/sleet just to get a fix.

Excellent to see another engine coming to life, seems hard to believe there are nearly 50 on this first batch with a further 35 or so in the second run and yet there feels like there is only 10 or so of us who actually post anything. Where is everybody Question Question
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

Hi Kev

I don't think I did get the firebox rain, I certainly never noticed anything and I was looking for it in the first 15 minutes. Are you buying "full size" steam coal or smaller pieces and did you get it from Andy the coalman? I do want to get some for some controlled steaming rather than the frantic wood firing.

Already plugged most of the holes, just the whistle to fit or blank the hole. I also got something to blank the tender balance pipe entry while the belly tank is with Nick as I want to try the injector as soon as I have some pressure.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 21 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

Hi Brian,

Andy does two sizes big stuff for full size and stuff about the size of kiwi fruit ( Couldnt think of anything else close ) which are spot on for us. The 1/4 BSP plug is standard from any plumbers supplies. Put the back end of the balance pipe on with the tap if you want a simple solution for the tender. Have you got the moving stuff on? Is it easy to put that on if not? You must try the motion it'll blow you away.

Take a short video.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

Kev

I got the 1/4" bsp plug today and it is already on. Balance pipe is out being powdercoated with the rest of th bits, tap and all (stripped it down first). I want to put the water pump bits on before I put the LP rods back on but that should all be back for the weekend.

Before I can turn the engine over I have still to set the valve gear, the reason I have not done so far is that I had a problem of the valve rod end hitting the front of the steam chest with the rod fully screwed into the valve crosshead. Steve gave me a couple of half nuts to try and give me the additional 2-3mm of travel I need but when I looked at the job I realised I would not get the nuts off as they are put on the rods before the weighshaft goes on as they do not fit therough the weighshaft and I am not about to try filing the cornere of the nuts off. Therefore, I requested a couple of custom made spacers half the thickness of those that go on between the valve crosshead and the nut, that should do it and they will be posted to me tomorrow. By the time the weekend comes I will have so many things to do/put back on the engine I will not know where to start.

Oh and as well as all that, I have a DVLA appoinment on Wednesday to take my engine so they can prove it exists and is a new engine then I will have my license plate and tax disc. I am planning to have the boiler test in late February so it will give me a couple of weeks of steaming and a trial hydraulic test of my own first.

I will contact Andy about the price of coal in the meantime.

yours excitedly Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:11 pm

I had the same issue with the valve rod but got over it by just using a slitting disc on the end and taking off a turn or so, its still very close but just clears enough. Strange how it varies across the different DVLAs, my first engine had to be veiwed but for this one they just took a photo, still its only a formality and then road runs are totally legal!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm

Chuffin' well done Brian - Blackbeard does look good and so good to see another engine come to life.

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Mon 21 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes we I believe we are taking the engines, its being organised through AMTEC, its run on the 2-3rd March. We are also going down to see Peter Thomas as he has his STW RL up and running and has been running around his village on it for the last few months (does not come on the forum which is a shame). Peter only lives 5 miles from me so its a quick trip in the car.

Best regards,

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:18 am

highpressure wrote:I had the same issue with the valve rod but got over it by just using a slitting disc on the end and taking off a turn or so, its still very close but just clears enough.

Kev

I did not fancy trying that with my dremel, those little discs break easily as I found out trimming the cleading to fit, plas all the cutting dust would go everywhere.

Because of this perceived variance in the cylinder block position my RH motion cover does not fit either, did you have any issues with the RH cover? When I mount it at the cylinder end the mounting holes for the hornplates are a full hole out - the motion cover holes go past the hornplate holes. I tried a cover on the control model at STW which fitted fine and borought it back home, same issue, ideally a cover with no holes would be ideal then I coud drill to suit but they are laser cut prior to bending. Did you have any problems? I was going to try and roll the radius a little tighter in my bending rolls to pul the holes back but then I will have a different problem with the brass beading that is already formed to follow the designed radius of the cover.

Blanking plate for govenor hole made, fitted and first coat of paint last night, another job done. I do not plan to put the govenor on as it is a road loco and quite a few did not have them. Also polished and fit the side exit adaptor on the bottom of the water gauge as mine was to close to the axlebox lubricator to get the gauge glass blow down pipe on, another little detail out of the way. Just the safety valve chimney to paint black with the same pait as the cylinder block and top of cylinder is done. I will fit the STW whistle for now and work out how to fit the big onel later.

Tube brush arrived this morning too!!

Brian

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_46

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' - Page 6 Small_47

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Hi Brian

Glad you are getting there. Does the tube brush fit well?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:52 am

Not tried it yet, I asked my daughter to do it as she is not at colledge today, why have a steam apprentice in the house and do it yourself? Wink
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:39 am

I had a bit if a challenge fitting the curved right hand motion cover to Frederick, which I fitted after painting it - should have checked first! I massaged it with a touch of the Yuri Gellers and put a slight re-curve onto it to effectively shorten the nose to tail length. It then fitted fine. The brass was easily adapted: I didn't bother with the front screws and added an extra bit to complete the bottom beading nearer to the cylinder. I'll post a picture when I am on a proper 'puter (and you'll see it Wednesday evening).

Tim

Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

Tim

It will be good to see what you did to yours, it is the only thing I have not solved yet or it would also be at the powder coaters right now like the rest of the bits. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow evening.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

Blackbeard is now on a trailer in my garage ready for his 11am appointment with the DVLA tomorrow - just a formality as all the documents are accepted so wish me luck.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next