Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showman vs RL

+7
lynnr
Steam Traction World
Graeme81
sonick45
Steve Traill
craig@STW
Flasback
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Showman vs RL Empty Showman vs RL

Post  Flasback Mon 21 Mar 2011, 7:05 pm

Okay I have got to ask this question. Which is better the 'Showman' or the 'RL' from STW. I have read the forum and seen the pictures, not pictures of a showman yet because they have different kit builds (nearly).

The reason I am asking the question is because I heard a rumour that the showmans where being built by the real engineers because of the skill required and the RLs are for the lesser skilled Twisted Evil

As I said its only a rumour because showmans are the best looking engine by far in anyone's eyes. Just look at the topic headers in the production section. Craig always refers to the DDC build as showman "......" (Good on yer Craig Very Happy).

That will get highpressure back for calling us CHAVS, I have also sent highpressure's post to my mother and she will find out where you live and get you back pale Sad

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Showman vs RL Empty Re: Showman vs RL

Post  craig@STW Mon 21 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

im my defence... i dont know any better Rolling Eyes
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Showman vs RL Empty Utter Tosh!

Post  Steve Traill Mon 21 Mar 2011, 8:47 pm

What utter tosh about the Showmans being for real engineers and the Road Loco for lesser ones! The two engines will run with the same running gear which needs an eye for detail and care in assembly. As I see it the Road Loco will be more practical for road runs and generally moving about whereas the Showmans will look good generating either during the day or especially at night outside the beer tent. Road runs with a Showmans have some issues with visibility due to the large roof so it helps to have two sitting at the back looking down each side. As for which one is better, 'you pays your money and makes your choice', they will both be superb engines and I'm sure a welcome addition to any rally field! sunny
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 12:20 am

I have to say Flasback that I agree with Steve's comments.

The two engines are very similar in mechanical parts. The only major differences been the boiler extension and addition of two dynamos. Not forgetting the extended roof.

Other than that the choice is wether you prefer to sit outside a tent generating light or you want to race you way down the local boozer for a few before trying to get back before the sun sets.

It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. The argument about engineers preference is flawed as technically they are the same engine with cosmetic differences.

I've chosen the RL as it's the road runs and general driving around which I look forward to.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:04 am

showmans owners should invest in a set of fancy brass coasters because their engines make fantastic extra 'beer counters' outside the beer tent while the road locos put on a show in the playpen!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Wink
let the backlash begin!!!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Tue 22 Mar 2011, 8:00 am

i like the Foden !!! Razz Razz Razz

(runs for the hills Cool )
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

Lol, Why have mince when you can have steak.......Showman's here i'm afraid......................I'm having the Showmans but i can't say too much as Steve Traill is building it for me and as he is a R/L customer! lol

Steve Baldock is having the R/L though so you can be assured both engines will be the muts nuts.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Showman vs RL Empty Showman

Post  lynnr Tue 22 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

Ho Ho

Showman for me. Road Loco is a cut price item. Just look at the roof. Only goes half way. Wink
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Tue 22 Mar 2011, 4:41 pm

ooops love the discussions, Steve please do not think I am questioning any ones skill with regards to building the engines or the differences between the engines. The fun bit is the banter between the RL and showmans on other threads therefore its time the showman community to stand tall and proud and marvel at the king of all ENGINES ..... The great and good a SHOWMAN. At beer tents all around this grand country we will have the crowds around us so they can see with all our lights their beer and they might buy us a beer or two because we are the SHOWMAN COMMUNITY OF STW I love you cheers GOD BLESS THE SHOWMAN.

and the RL will be cold and out of stream and all alone:( Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

With writing that I might stand for the next elections who will vote for me my slogan could be 'I don't just blow hot and let off stream; I have lights too'

Flasback

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:09 pm

showmans owners wont be able nor have they time to have a beer - they'll be too busy polishing all that brass then their arms will be too tired and sore to lift the pint glass!!!!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Tue 22 Mar 2011, 5:26 pm

AAARRRRHHHH good point, building a showman we have already thought of that and that's why god invented STRAWS....another one for the showman boys Laughing

Flasback

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 22 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

Danny LaRue was a showman - only came out at night and in disguise, usually hanging around a bar wanting attention!! Razz Razz Razz Twisted Evil

Up the Road Locos cheers
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm

Flasback wrote:AAARRRRHHHH good point, building a showman we have already thought of that and that's why god invented STRAWS....another one for the showman boys Laughing

we'll get you a bottle of pop for that straw as well !!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:27 am

Graeme81 wrote:
Flasback wrote:AAARRRRHHHH good point, building a showman we have already thought of that and that's why god invented STRAWS....another one for the showman boys Laughing

we'll get you a bottle of pop for that straw as well !!

Lol, excellent response Very Happy

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Wed 23 Mar 2011, 7:06 pm

I feel what can I say....sad Sad , the last post was from showman builder and family member at that. I know that my showman will be regeared to operate at 50 mph with my go faster strips Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil but for Brian not to be on my side; he was going to buy a RL till I showed him the error of his ways and brought him back from the dark side. It looks like my job of training the young student is not yet complete..... Rolling Eyes No Suspect

Flasback

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:55 pm

That's ok flashback....if I won the lotto and was given the choice of buying a full size Burrell super scenic showmans engine and a Burrell Road Loco I imagine I would choose the Showmans.... Wink
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Showman vs RL Empty There is hope

Post  lynnr Thu 24 Mar 2011, 8:17 am

Graeme81 wrote:That's ok flashback....if I won the lotto and was given the choice of buying a full size Burrell super scenic showmans engine and a Burrell Road Loco I imagine I would choose the Showmans.... Wink

You may yet be rescued from the dark side and be shown the mystical wonders of the new fangled electricity and its instant switch-ability. No more using smelly coal gas to light your way.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 10:01 am

mclaren road loco captain scott has a electric lights to guide her way and she is not a showmans engine! Razz
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

Okay I think I have a way to make this issue final. At STW Dean is Showman and Steve is RL. Therefore the casting vote on which is best has to be from Craig. If Craig says RL are the best I will agree and buy a T-Shirt with I LOVE RL (and cancel my order Sad Sad , only joking Very Happy Very Happy ) If Craig says Showmans are better the RL boys and girls have to wear I LOVE SHOWMANS T-Shirt Razz Razz Razz
The reason the Captain RL had lights was because it was:

A) LOST.
B)Wanted to be a SHOWMAN Suspect I love you

Flasback

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:17 pm

Haha,

Well Craig has already said he likes the foden Cool which means the RL builders now have to wear the showmans t-shirts and the showmans builders have to wear the RL t-shirts.

and of course Craig is correct the Foden is better Laughing i am away to go hide now lol

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:24 pm

you know what... for me i think its really gonna come down to the paint job. the models not so important but a good paint job makes all the difference Cool

figure that one out Razz Razz Laughing
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 25 Mar 2011, 5:31 pm

Craig

You must have splinters in your arse sitting on the fence for so long Razz Razz Razz

Brian (RL)
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 25 Mar 2011, 5:53 pm

ha ha Laughing

no really, steam was never my thing, i used to like the WW2 airplanes, cars and bikes (push bikes). but i do love models of any kind, used to do plastic airplanes, cars and SI FI models and its here that the presentation really comes into it... so honestly, a good paint job would probably get my vote Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sat 26 Mar 2011, 12:16 am

Craig

I have to agree, a superb model can be ruined by a bad paint job. I am very aprehensive about painting my Road Loco. Really enjoying building it but the painting scares me - especially when I see the quality of work on these forum threads.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sat 26 Mar 2011, 1:08 am

Brian, if it's any consolation I've never painted an engine before and I was amazed that if you follow a few golden rules like. Good paint. Good sable brushes. Always prepare the surface using wet and dry. Use tack cloths or similar to clear fine dust and put on several good coats you will get good results.

Mine isn't a master piece but I'm proud to say I haven't cheated and used spray.
My finish looks good and I've had nothing but good things said.

Best of luck with it and take your time.

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next