Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

+25
MrStationHouse
richspoo
mikero
Steam Traction World
ejparrott
the coleman
iain
IanL
Robfishman
northburrell
Flasback
craig@STW
Graeme81
highpressure
Tim Watson
Brian M
Rickster
LilyJack
Steve Traill
hughb
sonick45
Kevster
lynnr
Tony King
bjwlancashire
29 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 08 Feb 2011, 12:36 am

Well I finally worked out how to put photos on here so here goes my first formal post in the owners photo section. Included is a photo of my 13 year old nephew (SAC member) after he finished putting the dummy rivet in one of the front wheels.

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Front_10

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Dec_wi10

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Smokeb11

I will put some more on from the rear wheel assembly after next weekend, this is my 14 year old daughter's chance to get her face on here too (also SAC member), there a are a lot of dummy rivets to put in the two rims yet Razz

Last edited by bjwlancashire on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Blackbeard roadloco

Post  Tony King Tue 08 Feb 2011, 7:28 am

Wow, that's one impressive clean tidy workshop your'e working in!!
Mine is the absolute oposite, with "stuff" everywhere, as I have various projects & jobs on the go all at the same time. The Showmans engine being the most exciting, of course!!
Loved your pictures, I also have fabricated brackets for lights as you have.
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty First exposures

Post  lynnr Tue 08 Feb 2011, 8:11 am

Hi bjwlancashire

Glad to see you on the photo thread. Keep them coming.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Re: Road Loco - 'Blackbeard'

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 08 Feb 2011, 2:41 pm

It's amazing how clean and tidy things look when you take care to frame the shot - you cannot see the 71/4" gauge BR Standard 5 chassis covered up on a building stand, my other project on hold!! Or the crap behind me like my wife's mobility scooter and garden tralier modified to attach to it for the rallys plus mountain bikes, engine hoist (to help assembly) etc. Shocked

I must confess the garage was lined/insulated at the end of last summer just in time to start the engine in September after signing up at Dorset. I will try and get it dirtier and get more pictures/shelves etc on the wall. The whiteness can help when taking photos though but can be to bright - most important thing is the radio for the Saturday football results and Planet Rock for Friday nights workshop nights. bounce

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Springs

Post  lynnr Tue 08 Feb 2011, 3:12 pm

Hi

Just a small note. When you are putting the spring back together on the front axil. Make sure all the round sides are on the same side as it no half looks better.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 08 Feb 2011, 6:54 pm

Lynn

Not sure what you mean, are you decribing the edges?? With the powder coat they are very round.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty spring edges

Post  lynnr Tue 08 Feb 2011, 6:58 pm

bjwlancashire wrote:Lynn

Not sure what you mean, are you decribing the edges?? With the powder coat they are very round.

Brian

Ah Ok. My springs came with one side a square cut off and the other edge was the roundness you get with hot rolled steel. Sort of a flattened out D shape.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Tue 08 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

All looking very good indeed ,I have some catching up to do!
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Lamps holders

Post  sonick45 Wed 16 Feb 2011, 10:45 am

Brain,

I have a set of lamps just like yours however I need to make up the lamp bars and drill the holes etc.

Would it be possible to take a few close up photos of the bars and rough dimensions.

Many Thanks

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 17 Feb 2011, 7:10 pm

Nick

I already had a request but it was in another thread, I should have created another one for clarity but I am not used to this forum lark just yet. Please check out my scribblings and see if this enough.

If not I will provide some more info if you tell me what you need.

https://traction.forumotion.com/t740p15-powder-coat-vs-spray-paint#4837

Regards

Brian

PS: Are you German?? All my German colleagues seem to call me Brain too Laughing
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 24 Feb 2011, 12:34 am

Here is a back wheel just needing the rest of the rivets fitted, not much more to show I know but it is progress - more this weekend!!

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1050611
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 25 Feb 2011, 10:44 pm

Hi I like your tred
Keep it coming .Just one thing as I have built the 2" and not the same.
I see you have not put in the two rivets in the middle??

The reason I ask is a work mate has asked and I now can not rember how the wheals were done.
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sat 26 Feb 2011, 12:33 am

It is specified in the wheel build instructions to fit the outer ones first. This is because they will set the spoke position more acurately. Once these are in and the countersunk screws are in the hub then it should be possible to fit the last two rivets without pulling the wheel out of line. It is important to maintain the distance from the back of the hub to the wheel rim accurately as specified on the drawing - not more than 5/8" or 16mm.

I have actually just got in from the workshop after putting all rivets in properly on one side plus fitting the inner hub cover, fingers are a little raw from fastening all the special nuts in the confined space between the T rings Shocked . I also tried the recomendation from elsewhere in the forum of using baby wipes to remove excess glue around the spokes/hub and it works pretty well - much easier than trying to get it of when it is dry.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 20 May 2011, 12:29 am

Just thought it was about time I put a couple more pictures on, just to prove I have not been idle. I also have the hornplates and bearing housing kits in the garage to get on with. I have two steam apprentices that need to get started putting dummy rivets in Twisted Evil

Front Wheels painted (not by me i'm afraid) sprayed by professional but still some runs to sort out awaiting lining by me Shocked
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1140512

Rear Wheels as above
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1140513

Tender nearly done now, bunker extension to finish and beading to profile. It's amazing what you can get done when there is a wedding on Laughing
All platework was surface prepared prior to assmebly as it is a lot easier thant trying to clean the sheetmetal around the rivets, draw bar straps etc..
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1060313
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1060314
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1060315[url][/url]
Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' P1060316[img][/img]
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Tender

Post  Tony King Fri 20 May 2011, 7:18 am

Hi Brian,
Nice to see some pictures, the forum is a bit quiet at the moment, as everyone is waiting for their next kits.
Got to say that the bare metal looks so impressive & almost seems a shame to paint it & cover up all that "detail"!!
I think I have a metal fettish!!
I'm still waiting for "right time" to start lining my wheels!!
Best regards
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 20 May 2011, 10:25 am

Tony

I still have to pluck up the courage to paint the tender and line the wheels - I am genuinely uncomfortable about it, lack of confidence I guess. The engineering part is no problem.

I have fitted the draw bar straps and draw bar for good, the nuts are inside and sealed with fuel tank sealer. There are some fiddly bits to paint like the gaps behind the beading and the draw bar straps at the corners where the side and rear pieces overlap. I think, in hindsight, I should have put the nuts on the outside then once the tank was sealed I could have removed the nuts and the parts to enable me to paint a large flat surface - we live and learn.

Engine is going to be all gloss black and I wll be brush painting the tender as it is in the photos. Lining (if I do any on the tender) will have to be done up to the fittings rather than under them before they are fitted.

Any further progress on your magnificent engine?

What size are the slats you cut to make your wooden floor insert? I will have to look for some suitable wood for mine, I don't have any oak floorboards lying around. Very Happy

Cheers

Brian

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:39 am

Brian,

It maybe worth investing in an engine stand and bolting the tender to it.

You will find the tender will be seated at an angle when attached to the stand however if you wedge up the wheels you can get a nice level.
when you paint the flat surface the paint will pull out flat without runs and find it's way right up to the beading and the little rivet heads.

Once dry you can rotate the tender on the stand and paint the other side in the same fashion.

I found the rear plate the hardest due to it's shape however with the tender upturned on it's front end you can also wedge the tender to get the optimal angle to stops excessive runs.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 20 May 2011, 2:30 pm

Thanks Nick

I like the idea of an engine stand but it is finding the space for it, I may have to get creative with string and the garage roof What a Face

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty engine stands

Post  Steve Traill Fri 20 May 2011, 2:46 pm

Most engine stands unbolt in the middle so that the two pieces can be put flat against a wall when not in use. If you get one go for a 4 wheeler not a 3 as the 3 wheeler isn't very stable. I use the stand for painting the wheels by making up a spike to fit in the middle so that I can spin the wheel when spraying.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Fri 20 May 2011, 3:47 pm

Brian,

The effort the stand will save you is well worth the effort making room for one.
I don't have lots of room and found it easy to use in confined spaces.

Like Steve said they tend to dismantle into two bits which can be hidden under a bench or hung on the wall..

Best £50 I spent on tools for the engine build.

The other was an engine crane but that was borrowed. It has made getting wheels and such on and off the bench very easy and i will use it when all the big bits get fixed together.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Road Loco - 'Blackbeard' Empty Wooden slats

Post  Tony King Sat 21 May 2011, 8:38 am

Brian,
I simply made my slats 1/2" wide X 1/4" deep then just spaced them to "look about right", which for me, put an 1/8" (ish) gap between the slats.
I completely understand your "nervousness" re painting & finishing, but preparation is key, plan it before you paint it, take care when applying paint, but work quickly.................. & it'll be fine!!!
Put plenty of pictures on the forurm.............. good luck!!
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 22 May 2011, 12:31 am

Tony

I have a copy of Chris Vine's book "How Not to Paint a Locomotive" and it is very good. This is why I have made sure platework is well prepared. I have decided that I will paint the belly tank covers as practice pieces. I suppose once I get started all will be fine.

Maybe have something painted during June and will take some photos as I progess on the painting.

See you all at the open weekend hopfully.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sun 22 May 2011, 8:12 am

Hullo BJW,

I know mine is only a baby 2" BUT, as a thought, got any bits of scrap plate about anywhere? It's generally a good way to practice if you've any crap laying around to spray or brush or whatever, gives you a better idea of how much primer to use, what mix to thinners ratio is better for you etc and drying time prior to lining works. Then at least when it comes down to lining, you'll have had some practice with some half decent results coz it dont matter if ya cock it up Wink Then apply your new found skills to the real deal.
Was just a thought is all.
Mine aint exactly a wonderful amazing brilliant job but, it aint half bad, I did it, I chose the colours and its my engine so I dont give a rats what anyone else thinks Cool
Best of luck either way mate..

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Sun 22 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Hi Brian,

If it helps, I can bring some scrap I practised with, paint, lining tape and brushes, to show you how I did my lining - I have spare tape so you can get a feel for it yourself. I will be there on the Sunday. I'm not saying my way is the only way, just that I'm offering to try to help if you need it.
Let me know.
cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Sun 29 May 2011, 9:54 pm

Rickster wrote:Hi Brian,

If it helps, I can bring some scrap I practised with, paint, lining tape and brushes, to show you how I did my lining - I have spare tape so you can get a feel for it yourself. I will be there on the Sunday. I'm not saying my way is the only way, just that I'm offering to try to help if you need it.
Let me know.
cheers

Rick
What a great idea, if the Sunday is for customers anyway, why not hold informal workshops (between the beer drinking Very Happy ) on best practice. I would certainly listen any speakers on their advice (as I am about to build my belly tank Very Happy) .

All the best,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next