Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gauge glass

2 posters

Go down

gauge glass Empty gauge glass

Post  jjtjr Mon 01 Apr 2024, 2:50 pm

Been having a problem with my gauge glass. Been driving the since 2009 with no problems with gauge glass. But lately its been breaking. I running 250 PSI on boiler. The first time I replaced the glass the rubber glass seals got pushed out and the glass exploded. I tried again the same thing happened. Did some internet searching and purchased grafoil seals which solved the seal problem. But the glass keeps exploding after about 10 mins. Not sure if its just poor quality glass, purchased them from Amazon. The alignment looks good. In the end I decided to go to a reflex gauge. In the process of machining one from SS. The valves for the gauge glass are not what came with the car it was replaced with a 10" glass with shut off valves.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

gauge glass Empty Gauge Glass

Post  Roller Man Sun 28 Apr 2024, 5:16 pm

Have you or anyone else ever tried or considered using fused quartz tube as a replacement for glass tube?
Fused quartz is remarkably strong and has a very small temperature coefficient of expansion.

Last edited by Roller Man on Sun 28 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I omited a word)

Roller Man

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-10-19

Back to top Go down