Water Gauge Glass

Go down

Water Gauge Glass Empty Water Gauge Glass

Post  Monty on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 10:34 pm

I have recently had two Gauge Glasses fracture (in fact the last one disintegrated) on my 4" Burrell Agricultural.
I have checked for misalignment between the top and bottom Gauge Glass Bodies and this looks to be ok, during further investigation I noticed the two bolts for retaining the supporting bracket on the second shaft required attention, clearly any movement generated could have caused a highly stressed piece of glass to fracture.
My main concern however, is how these loose bolts came to light, the revolving flywheel was restrained (hand pressure) therefore simulating engine load, I do not understand why this action should effect the supporting bracket. Please don't ask why we restrained flywheel.
I would appreciate any comments to assist my understanding.

Monty

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-09-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water Gauge Glass Empty Re: Water Gauge Glass

Post  Mark the spark on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 10:40 pm

In most cases its movement between the boiler and the horn plates
Make sure the horn plate bolts are tight and check them regularly

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2015-04-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 11:05 pm

Any movement between the hornplates and the boiler will result in the glass breaking. To eliminate this the paint between the hornplates and the boiler should be removed where they touch prior to assembly. Also make sure there is no paint in the bolt holes that the bolts go through. When the engine is on its wheels & 98% complete remove one bolt at a time, degrease and apply a collar of JB Weld around the shaft of the bolt. Screw this in tight and do the same for the rest. Once this has gone off there will be no movement as the JB Weld fills the void between the bolt and the slightly oversize hole. Any paint goes soft with the heat so what you think is tight is then loose when it's hot.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant on Tue 03 Sep 2019, 12:53 pm

I had the same issue at a rally this year. The bracket on the 2nd shaft was loose. One bolt was gone and the other had stripped its threads and was loose. Luckily the threads in the shaft were fine and I was able to put two new bolts in and get the engine running again. Thanks to Lynn who had a couple of spare bolts on her! As to how one bolt came out and the other had it's threads stripped I have no idea, I can only assume constant vibration, not enough loctite and not checking enough!

The other occasions the gauge glass has broken has been down to the bolts on the hornplates. These do slacken off and need to be checked regularly.

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Water Gauge Glass Empty Gauge Glass

Post  Monty on Tue 03 Sep 2019, 3:42 pm

Thank you all for your assistance will certainly check the Hornplate bolts.

Monty

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-09-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down