Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 4/5 Instructions

Go down

Kit 4/5 Instructions Empty Kit 4/5 Instructions

Post  thehawk Fri 28 Aug 2020, 10:10 pm

This kit is fairly straight forward to assemble as it all looks fairly obvious. The instructions are none the less quite helpful. The one piece of advice in the instructions that worried me slightly was the issue about potential wheel wobble. A 2mm wobble on wheel that is around a metre in diameter doesn't seem much. I hope that is the case because the instructions about making a jig are more easy said than done and bending the spokes accurately in a vice is not the easiest thing given their fundamental strength and residual spring. I am not sure how the accuracy to prevent a 2mm wobble can be achieved with ones own vice and a hammer if it can't be achieved in the factory with all that sophisticated tooling.  
Wheel Rim Preparation - I thought the wheels were fairly well prepared as delivered. I presume that because I purchased the wheels with vulcanised tyres all the rivets in the rim were already fitted (phew - that saved some time!)
Wheel Assembly - I found it useful to use not only normal M6 nuts but also at least one longer M6 bolt to pull the spokes in tight to the rim. Stage 1 assembly gives you some idea of whether the spokes are bent to the right amount and whether they need a thump! During final Stage 4 assembly it was still useful to use one long normal bolt and nut so that the spade was pulled in tight and therefore minimised any tension on the short rivet bolts which are being tightened on a minimal amount of thread with those delightful rivet nuts. Once 2 or 3 of the rivet bolts were done up tight then the long bolt and nut could be replaced with the proper rivet bolt and nut.
Also to try to ease tension in the wheel I assembled the spokes opposite to one another: the two A spokes then the C spokes then the B's etc to even out any stresses, rather then just go round the wheel one spoke after another.
I've mentioned this in my previous posts but the instructions call up the non existent "rivet snap from kit 1"
I think this kit should probably have a health warning(!) due to the weight of the wheel when complete which is in excess of 50kg (you might find that the wheels will cost you another £50 - that is for the chiropractor appointment to reset you back after lifting!!)
The only real problem I had was trying to buy Aradlite slow setting epoxy glue, I went to four hardware stores, who only had Araldite Rapide, before I gave up and ordered some on the internet!
The next kit is Kit6, dead easy to assemble, you just need deep pockets!!
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down