Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KIT 1 Instructions

4 posters

Go down

KIT 1 Instructions Empty KIT 1 Instructions

Post  thehawk Wed 12 Aug 2020, 10:19 am

13 years ago I built a 4inch single cylinder, I survived the Modelworks demise and the STW Phoenix like rise from the ashes and my little engine still runs like clockwork! However, one dreams of better things and given my age I thought it was about time I re-engaged while I still can(!) and so with nothing other than Covid19 to occupy my mind I sought advice from Dean and decided to build a DCC - time for some real power! So I've received a number of kits (very impressed so far on STW deliveries) and am working my way through.

Anyway, that was an intro and my real reason for writing is make some comments about the instructions for the kits, which I will comment on as I build. I think some of the instructions could do with an update/refresh and I just have a few comments about kit No1 in this post, but there will be more to come!

First thing I note is that the writer of the instructions (probably dear departed Steve) says "please read the instructions", which is great advice, and I think that should also be done by STW as some of the things have changed a little!

The paragraph "Technical Help" needs an update as STW now has a newer phone system and we have to press 1, 2 or 3 depending on which dept. we want.
The first section section of the instructions I'm commenting on is "Proprietary Items that are not included! This should be modified to allow for those of us (most of us?)  who opt for vulcanised tyres as there are several non-supplied items that we don't need.
Next section - "Wheel Rim Preparation" whereas when I built my 4 inch the rim was only welded in places the new rims I have are welded all round with a fairly decent fillet so much of that instruction seems unnecessary.
Elsewhere in the instructions there are three references to 1/4 inch BSF bolts which actually are now M6 types.
"Final Wheel Assembly stage 5" the outside cover did not need M4 screws to stop resin as the holes are now blind, ie; not drilled through.

I know this is a lot of blurb for a few little things but I'll be back with comments on the other kits as I go. I've certainly got a few for kits 3, 4 and 5 but later..............
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

KIT 1 Instructions Empty Re: KIT 1 Instructions

Post  elwood-59 Wed 12 Aug 2020, 10:50 am

Hi,

I like to think of such things as „subject to change without notification“. Yes the instructions might need a update, I‘ve found some remarks on things that were different on my parts as compared to the instructions. Usually I don‘t mind that much, as it‘s usually self explaining. In most cases the bolts, nuts and screws, are packed together with the part, i.e. attached to it, so easy to identify.

And, yes, most of the threads are metric with only a few non - metric thown in or (pipe fittings) are common standard.

But on my wheel covers the holes were drilled through so I had to add some dummy bolts to keep the epoxy from oozing out of the bore and thus blocking the threads. So your‘s is already improved (my wheels are from batch before last one Very Happy )

And lastly there is the forum to help you along, if you are struggling.

Many happy hours with your kits.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Synergyn9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Wed 12 Aug 2020, 12:01 pm

Hi all

Thank you for flagging up these issues, I will have a look at the kit one instructions to see what needs changing (in terms of the bits that are only relevant for non vulcs, I will probably put a note at the top saying that it isn't applicable for anyone with vulcanized tyres). Steve did write the instructions, and at times could be a real pain for not altering things like the instructions and the ISO's, so as I am fully occupied with the little Samons and the 6 inch Burrell I tend to update the instructions as I get told about required updates (with 10 years worth of work there is a lot to go through). As you find the discrepancies please let me know, and I can't stress enough, if you find any problems please let me know (I can't count the number of times I have been asked if anyone else has had a problem and I've had to say not to my knowledge before finding out a couple of days later that many others had had a similar problem and dealt with it themselves), if I don't know about the problem I can't help you or future builders (even if you do solve it yourself please let me know so I can correct it for the future).

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

KIT 1 Instructions Empty RE Kit 1 Instructions

Post  thehawk Wed 12 Aug 2020, 10:09 pm

Hi Will, - I'm glad you approve of my comments. Having been an engineer most of my working life I have learned that good design is important but so is good documentation and sometimes the designer is not the best person to do the documentation, because its all in their head and so why write it down! So I intend to let you know as I find things. what this space, Ha!
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Thu 13 Aug 2020, 9:00 am

thehawk wrote:Hi Will, - I'm glad you approve of my comments. Having been an engineer most of my working life I have learned that good design is important but so is good documentation and sometimes the designer is not the best person to do the documentation, because its all in their head and so why write it down! So I intend to let you know as I find things. what this space, Ha!

I completely agree, the other problem we occasionally have with the instructions is that due to his long experience in steam from a young age Steve found some parts as obvious, but those aren't also necessarily obvious to someone who has just joined the hobby, so we have occasionally had some very confused customers on the phone unsure of what they are supposed to do.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 23 Aug 2020, 2:01 pm

Will@STW wrote:
thehawk wrote:Hi Will, - I'm glad you approve of my comments. Having been an engineer most of my working life I have learned that good design is important but so is good documentation and sometimes the designer is not the best person to do the documentation, because its all in their head and so why write it down! So I intend to let you know as I find things. what this space, Ha!

I completely agree, the other problem we occasionally have with the instructions is that due to his long experience in steam from a young age Steve found some parts as obvious, but those aren't also necessarily obvious to someone who has just joined the hobby, so we have occasionally had some very confused customers on the phone unsure of what they are supposed to do.

Many thanks

Will@STW

In my view, this is a fundamental problem with the product and may well stop people buying it.  I am sure all prospective builders will pore through the forums and do their reading before pulling the trigger and when they read something like this, it will put them off.  What you could do is to employ one or more of the old hands that are so very helpful on this forum and ask them to review and re-write all of the instructions from the point of view of an absolute novice.

It’s far better to have too much information than not enough, and if you add up all the time that you will have spent on the phone explaining stuff to people (that could have been carefully explained in the written instructions) then I bet in the long run it will be cheaper to have someone else do the review and re-write job and pay them. In the times we now live in, here is a job that could easily be done “remotely”.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Nigncoz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down