Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 3 Instructions

Go down

Kit 3 Instructions Empty Kit 3 Instructions

Post  thehawk Sat 22 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

I have a few comments on the instructions and a few comments on the kit itself!

Smokebox door ring and Hinge Lugs - the instructions were fine but the Hinge Lugs have M6 threads and the holes in the smokebox ring were only 5mm so had to drill them out to fit the screws. Then I found that the recess in the door ring for the cap heads was too tight so needed some fettling there. The square on the dart bolt needed some filing to get it to fit. Not a big deal any of it.

Fitting the Smokebox Door Ring - Thank you STW but mine was already fitted with the six M6x30 already fitted. As stated above the holes for the door lugs had to be drilled out. With respect to fitting the rivet bolts the instructions say "use the rivet snap supplied in kit one" but I never had a rivet snap supplied with kit 1, but luckily used the one I had for my Burrell single cylinder from 10 years ago! So STW need to either change the instructions or deliver a rivet snap with kit1 (It's not on the parts list).

Chimney Base - There were a few casting holes but I filled them with exhaust paste, which seems to have worked ok. Again the 'not supplied' rivet snap is mentioned when fitting the copper bolts.

Perch bracket - I decided to go for nuts on the outside. The bolts were way too long and had to be shortened - 35mm supplied should have been 25mm. With respect to the front hole of the Perch Bracket being a dummy - my smoke box ring came drilled to accept a bolt in the front hole, however it needed to be longer than the 35mm bolts supplied and I ended up using a piece of studding with a nut on each end. So the counter sunk screws weren't needed.

Chimney - No problem here, but one comment as when I built my single cylinder the instruction was to secure the copper cap with araldite, especially where there is a gap between the chimney and cap, but the instruction now is that the cap is secured only by the taper of the chimney. Is this instruction consistent across all models? One further comment - when fitting the chimney to the base ring I would advise using good sized washers under the nuts to spread the load and protect the chimney tube metal from the exhaust heat and subsequent corrosion. The reason I say this is after 10 years of steaming my single cylinder the constant heat has weakened the chimney material around the holes to the extent that I may have to replace the chimney in the not too distant future.

There we are nothing too contentious just a few minor issues!
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

milford59 likes this post

Back to top Go down