Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Filling boiler

2 posters

Go down

Filling boiler  Empty Filling boiler

Post  Tenbore Wed 06 May 2020, 6:29 pm

Still can’t get pump to get water in to boiler tried what Mark suggested but no go pump works ok little bit coming out of by pass so made new pipe with globe valve so could completely switch off even took off clack to see if water comes out it does seems that as soon as the boiler gets above about 40 psi there’s not enough go in the pump to overcome the pressure would be very grateful for any suggestions as haven’t realy had a good run yet.

Tenbore

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-09-04

Back to top Go down

Filling boiler  Empty Re: Filling boiler

Post  Simon C Wed 06 May 2020, 8:04 pm

Hi Tenbore
I am a 4" builder but have had my share of problems with the crank pump.
After cleaning and reseating the balls several times with no improvement I removed the return/bypass pipe from the pump whilst running the engine on air. I found that the bypass valve was passing when fully shut so I stripped and reseated it the pump performance improved but was still very slow to pick up. the next thing was the suction pipe from the manstand fitting to the pump was letting air in so this pipe was emptying back in to the tender hence the slow pick up. On the 4" the pipe in the tender is a separate peace bent at 90 deg with a filter on it dont know if that's the same for the 2" but I found that I had disturbed the joint on the underside of the manstand fitting also. the result of this disturbance was that once the water level dropped below the joint the pump would lose suction if the engine was slowed down or just not pick up in the first place.
From your description it sounds like you could have one or more of these problems with your engine, if you can run on air until such time as you can find the problem then that I think is the way to go forward.
hope this helps.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down