Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4" SCC build so far

+12
Mark the spark
LiveSteam
Steve Traill
Kevster
Ian
chas12154
lynnr
Mick1020
Jim the Shovel
ChriX
TimV
Simon B
16 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Empty 4" SCC build so far

Post  Simon B Sun 03 Sep 2017, 6:41 pm

Hi All

The seat supplied with the engine, hooked over the top of the tender and then rested on the back of the tender, also the seat required the top part of the coal bunker to be removed. I've altered the seat by extending it downwards and rigidly bolted it to the tow bar and fitted a piece of rubber sheet under the top part that hooks over the top of the tender, so hopefully the seat unit cannot now damage the paint.

When first fitted the seat was a bit high so I removed the steel hoop to lower the seat by about 75mm, the seating position works for me.

The engine is now finished apart from the nameplates which should arrive any day now.

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_4812

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_4810

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_4811

Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Empty Re: 4" SCC build so far

Post  TimV Sun 03 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

Nice work Simon, how's it steaming did you get your start valve problem sorted.

Cheers Tim
TimV
TimV

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sun 03 Sep 2017, 7:53 pm

Looks good, nearly everyone adjusts the seat as you have done, it was designed to fit on the back of the tender with the bunker extension going off afterwards, hence the extra loop to get the height right. In reality just hooking it on the bunker extension with a bit of rubber where it touches the paint works fine. The weight limit is preset as anyone over 14 stone will end up with no steering and doing wheelies (on the 4" agricultural anyway!) With the SCC that shouldn't be a problem, just check that the top flange on the seat, rests on the sides of the tender not just the back plate as I have seen some buckle under the strain. Also the button cushion benefits from a couple of M6 bolts in the front edge underneath as leaning back in the seat could snap the central bolt attachment point. Great looking engine though, I saw one up at Dorset this year and it looked really good.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  poachermas Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm

Looks terrific Simon,the livery will make it stand out from the crowd as well,bet your well chuffed.
Starting on my scc build soon.
Steve I'm in trouble then with the seat,I'm 20 stone,better find some lead to put in the belly tank affraid

poachermas

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Mon 04 Sep 2017, 12:11 am

At that weight it's a helluva strain on the horn plates! I'd be looking at a water bowser or wagon to fit the seat on to split the load. With the wagon what several of us have done is make a new draw bar and fit the seat 2/3rds back towards the wagon so roughly splitting the weight between the back wheels of the engine and the wagon. The water bowser comes with a seat. Being a bit further back also makes a better (in my opinion) driving position if you are 6' ish as you can see the gauge glass easier and your legs aren't 1/2" off the back wheels.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Mon 04 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

I'm in the process of modifying a DCC seat frame for my SCC. I didn't really like the one supplied and it didn't lend it's self for the fitting of my sprung solo motorcycle seat. So I purchase the DCC frame and have begun modifying it. The top cross member needs to be lowered by 55mm and the two lower lugs changed to suit the pin centres on the tow bar. The towing bracket on the frame also needs to be lowered.
I notice the weight limit that Steve has put as being 14 stone and thought I'd check mine. Ooooops 15 stone. Where did that come from. Think the next modification might well be a wheelie bar.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:55 pm

Hi Tim

I've not had a chance to steam since I modified the starter valve, in the end I just blanked off the starter valve with a piece of beer tin. The glorious bank holiday weekend, that you all enjoyed at the GDSF, didn't extend as far as west Cumbria where the weather was a bit miserable but hopefully I'll be steaming this weekend I'm away at the end of September and for most of October but have PM'd Tim Watson about the new year rally at Portsmouth, it will be great to finally attend a rally now that's its finished.

Steve

I looked at fitting the seat and then fitting the bunker top as others have done but didn't want to cut a slot in the bottom of the bunker, when I first modded the seat it was too high and when I lent forward to steer or open the fire door I felt I was going to topple forward, but now that the seat has been lowered no problem falling forward, just keep knocking my left shin on the winch roller bracket, shin pads next then !!

Jim

I'm nearly 15 stone, but the SCC has a longer boiler and is a bit heavier at the front than the agricultural due to the cylinder, belly tank coupled with the slightly longer boiler, so I don't think the front lifting should be a problem plus I've seen one with a double seat, hopefully next weekend, if the weather is better I'll take it for a spin down the lane and will post an update if I pop a wheelie Shocked

Thanks everybody for your kind comments and advice, all is most welcome.

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  TimV Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:23 pm

Hi Simon. I moved my fairleads bracket in another hole , I drilled a extra hole in the angle brackets bolted it back on to the tender then ran a drill through and made an extra hole if that makes sense in otherwords my fairleads now have 8 bolts holding them on instead of 6, it brings them in by about 30mm or so.

Cheers Tim
TimV
TimV

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Mon 04 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm

Hi Simon

When and where is the rally at Portsmouth. I might just nip across the Solent for a look see.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:03 am

Hi Jim

I miss read the date in my post above, it's the 1st - 3rd December, look at Tim Watson post in the letting off steam section. I don't know any more details yet but will let you know when Tim replies to my message.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Tue 05 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm

Thanks Simon.

I had a look in Old Glory last night but couldn't find anything. Now I have the date I'll have another look.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Tue 05 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

Jim,
A couple of years ago, we went to this, and saw Tim, it was a Victorian Christmas theme in the Dockyard, snow and everything, actually very good, especially when the Pipers did their bit very near where Tim was, stirring stuff.

It could be the same event.

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Wed 06 Sep 2017, 10:44 am

Festival Of Christmas 1st -3rd December
http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/victorian-festival-of-christmas-2017

Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Wed 06 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
One for the diary me thinks.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Wed 04 Oct 2017, 9:06 pm

Hi All

Nameplates finally arrived and fitted, now the engine is complete and waiting for its first rally Smile

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_5310

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_5311

4" SCC build so far - Page 6 Img_5312
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down