Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st day of new build

5 posters

Go down

1st day of new build Empty 1st day of new build

Post  tony.wheels Wed 29 Sep 2021, 12:14 am

Having picked up my first set of kits from Daventry last Friday, and having had a tour of the amazing factory hosted by Dean, I started on the front wheels yesterday. Having retired last year I am looking to work almost full time on the build so when possible will post some photos.

tony.wheels

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-09-29

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

1st day of new build Empty Re: 1st day of new build

Post  Nigel Wed 29 Sep 2021, 7:02 am

Hi

Started my build January 4" Showman's, enjoy, Take your time try parts together to get a feel for how they go together and what screw, bolts etc, are required not always obvious from the instructions, Drawings very good and if all else fails contact Will, I prefer E-mail as he can be very busy, This Forum is a great help, But overall enjoy the build it is fun.

Regards

Nigel

P.S. I notice you are in Brixham, I used to Holiday at Goodrington Sands many years ago, nice part of the world.

Nigel

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2020-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 29 Sep 2021, 5:50 pm

Best of luck with your build - you can see that I have started a number of threads which are specific to the various SCC kits, so please feel free to add your experiences and photos to those threads if you like.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tony.wheels Wed 29 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replies and help, will try and post as I move along and put up some photos. Got both front wheels and axle etc ready for final assembly after two days of cleaning up. Would like to paint smokebox and chimney in gloss, any suggestions please.

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 29 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm

Hmm.. it’s personal taste isn’t it…. I used VHT Satin Black aerosol paint for my smokebox and chimney and I am pleased with the finish…I don’t have a recommendation for a gloss paint - sorry.

1st day of new build Cac08410

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  tony.wheels Wed 29 Sep 2021, 9:26 pm

Thanks, that looks quite good, I might be tempted, what make is that.
Tony

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 29 Sep 2021, 9:33 pm

1st day of new build 7670ab10

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  tony.wheels Wed 29 Sep 2021, 9:36 pm

Thanks

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 30 Sep 2021, 9:25 am

Hi Tony
I use satin black stove paint in rattle cans from Calfire it goes on very well and is rated up to 650C.
Others on here have used Barbeque paint rattle cans but I have only found that in matt black around me.

www.gratefireplaceaccessories.co.uk/stovebright-high-temperature-paint-1990-400ml-aerosol-satin-black

Craftmaster do something they call smokebox paint in the gloss black you were looking for but it is only rated at 200C.

https://craftmaster.myshopify.com/collections/heat-resistant-paints/products/heat-proof-black-240

I haven't used Craftmaster paint but the lower temperature rating would give me some concerns.
On my showman's engine I painted the door ring with red engine enamel, good for 200C and it discolored after only a few steaming's
Your smokebox will get hotter than the devils bedroom when working your engine hard and you will have the ash pan to paint later on in the build this will also get very hot.
I see from your location that you live in a part of the country with some serious hills so working your engine hard is inevitable.
Hope all this helps with your decision making.

I started my SCC build Christmas day, building the front wheels in the morning before dinner.
Good look with your build and have fun doing it like I have.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 30 Sep 2021, 12:21 pm

Hi

Paint on the smokebox and chimney are consumable items. If you do not burn it off a few times a season your not driving much.

On a certain Mellorbrook hill climb. I had the smokebox front and chimney casting glowing red.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  tony.wheels Thu 30 Sep 2021, 6:41 pm

Thanks again for the information. Going to go for the Satin black. I have just finished rebuilding a poorly 3 inch Burrell so have some experience of building, painting and steaming a model. Selling that one to help fund the SCC.
Regarding the hills, I live at the top of one which you would not attempt with a full size engine but luckily there are other ways up.

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

1st day of new build Empty Boiler Inspector

Post  tony.wheels Sun 14 May 2023, 10:07 pm

Build complete and now hydraulic and steam test passed. Thanks for all the help, have learnt quite a bit from the forum and Lynn. Now for some action.

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down