Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RH Bearing Housing

4 posters

Go down

RH Bearing Housing Empty RH Bearing Housing

Post  Waterways Fri 03 Apr 2009, 9:12 am

Just a note for builders to check your housing fits between specticle plates before painting. Mine required 2mm filing off each side Crying or Very sad may be stw should have machined these faces or just missed this one. Fits Now perfect Very Happy

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

RH Bearing Housing Empty Re: RH Bearing Housing

Post  milford59 Tue 29 Sep 2020, 10:22 pm

Yes - that would be a good idea. !!

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Wed 30 Sep 2020, 8:29 am

Waterways wrote:Just a note for builders to check your housing fits between specticle plates before painting. Mine  required 2mm filing off each side  Crying or Very sad may be stw should have machined these faces or just missed this one. Fits Now perfect  Very Happy

Keith

Hi Keith

Can you tell me which faces haven't been machined, any faces that could prevent the bearing housings from fitting properly should have been machined, so I'm sure that they've just missed it this time, but we obviously need to know so that we can prevent this from happening in the future.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 30 Sep 2020, 8:44 am

Will@STW wrote:
Waterways wrote:Just a note for builders to check your housing fits between specticle plates before painting. Mine  required 2mm filing off each side  Crying or Very sad may be stw should have machined these faces or just missed this one. Fits Now perfect  Very Happy

Keith

Hi Keith

Can you tell me which faces haven't been machined, any faces that could prevent the bearing housings from fitting properly should have been machined, so I'm sure that they've just missed it this time, but we obviously need to know so that we can prevent this from happening in the future.

Many thanks

Will@STW

Will,

I don't know whether Keith will reply - this thread started 11 years ago !!

I added my comment to highlight the fact that this is not a new issue - there are several threads about it and as I have mentioned in another thread, it was also highlighted in one of the videos that was done by ChrisX about 5 years ago.

Here is a thread from 2 years ago, that I have also replied to  https://traction.forumotion.com/t2819-kit-10-bearing-housings

It is the face that buts against the rear spectacle plate - there are photos showing this in other threads.  It should be milled by at least 2 and probably 3 mm to ensure easy clearance.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 02 Oct 2020, 6:55 am

Will@STW wrote:

Keith

Hi Keith

Many thanks

Will@STW

Hi Will
The post 2 years ago was By NMS on his roller build, At the time I had the same issues with my RHS bearing housing.
All of the fitted faces and holes were perfect it was the width of the casting spectacle plate to spectacle plate that was too big to fit in the gap.
At the time I came to the conclusion that this casting was a 1 size fits all and would just need fettling to fit the particular engine.
You confirmed this at the time so fettle it we did and no paint was harmed as the assembly was dry fit first as the instructions suggested.
If any thing is to be changed a 1 liner in the instructions for kit 10 would say "This part may need filing to fit"
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 02 Oct 2020, 8:09 am

Simon C wrote:
Hi Will
The post 2 years ago was By NMS on his roller build, At the time I had the same issues with my RHS bearing housing.
All of the fitted faces and holes were perfect it was the width of the casting spectacle plate to spectacle plate that was too big to fit in the gap.
At the time I came to the conclusion that this casting was a 1 size fits all and would just need fettling to fit the particular engine.
You confirmed this at the time so fettle it we did and no paint was harmed as the assembly was dry fit first as the instructions suggested.
If any thing is to be changed a 1 liner in the instructions for kit 10 would say "This part may need filing to fit"
Simon C

Thank you Simon (For some reason my computer isn't giving me a year, so when I see a post that says it was posted today or yesterday, I naturally assume it is a more recent thread). I believe the problem is caused by the foundry that makes the casting (as they are also supposed to do the machining). We have told them multiple times where they are going wrong on parts but they don't seem to take any of it in.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down