Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us?

+24
Rich13
northburrell
clippy
AndrewR
burrell2
andyfletch
bjwlancashire
Tim Pennett
TonyT
Steve Traill
Frostie
Watts&Son
IanL
HStannard
Robfishman
iain
MrStationHouse
sonick45
hippy dave
highpressure
atomenter
burrell1
lynnr
Steam Traction World
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us?

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

Right then......

After a few too many beers in the beer tent at Old Warden Rally this weekend we've come up with our next challenge. After the successful completion of the Lykamobile Challenge we have now decide to try the following:

4" Burrell Road Loco Relay from John O Groats to Lands End

Yes we are flaming NUTS but i believe we'll be the first to attempt it and every one who succeeds in being the first to do something tends to be a bit mad!! (i mean sailing off the edge of the world must have took a right fruit loop!!) Shocked Shocked

A Date, Time and Schedule is yet to be decided (and it's likely to be a year or so in the organising) but the plan will be something like this:

1 Engine - a 4" Steam Traction World Road Loco.

1000ish Miles (taking in to account we won't be able to go on really busy main roads).

100 Drivers (maybe 50 if we can't get 100).

Each driver completing a 10 mile relay and then changing to the next driver. (if only 50 drivers then each driver would do 2 x 10 mile stints but not consecutively.)

All for charity (which one to be decided) with every driver having to raise a minimum £100 for each stint they take part in. The total raised therefore would be £10k minimum with hopefully extra money and sponsership raised on route.

Ideally we would need the drivers to have considerable experience firing a minature as this will be needed with some of the hills we will be tackling so this will not be just open to STW customers (although they will have priority).

We estimate it'll take at least a month but each of the drivers only needs to be involved for their stint (near where they live) and not for the whole journey. This means you would only need to give up an estimated day of your time (less than a normal rally weekend) to be involved in what could be a Guiness book of records attempt!! Very Happy Very Happy

Who's up for it??

Names below would be awesome.

All the best

Dean & Steve drunken drunken drunken

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Re: Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us?

Post  lynnr Mon 17 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

I guess I will be doing some driving in the highlands and Inverness area?
Count me in as by the I will be practiced on highland steaming.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty I agree MAD!!

Post  burrell1 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

Whats the point in getting old if you can't have a few mad moments. Yes you can put my name down, it sounds like a great challange. So what's the challange going to be when we have completed our 6" Foden lorries?

Bill

burrell1

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Mad or what!!!

Post  atomenter Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:42 pm

Hi all
Sounds like a great challenge, put me down for a stint in the Central Belt (I will show you a quicker way to the Forth Bridge this time!!)

All the best

Tom A
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Re: Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us?

Post  highpressure Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

I quite like the idea of breaking someone elses engine for a change and the back up crew would sort it!!! I'd certainly like a crack at a good long road run, and if it has a double seat then two man firing/driving would be a nice way to spend an hour or two. I can confirm with absolute ceratinty it can support and steer with two full grown adults on.

Andy... ( The Coleman) would you want to join me??? We can share the van to get to the meet up point, probably somewhere between Birmingham and Exeter at a guess. Cool
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Proper Fun

Post  hippy dave Mon 17 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

Count me in ,what time of year are you thinking Very Happy
hippy dave
hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

Not December! Very Happy

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 8:50 pm

MAD idea
its a yes again from me..
bounce

Without Robin who would rather do it on rails... Very Happy

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

Hi Nick,

Robin should come also. He could be the entertainment & should we struggle to sleep at night he could tell us one of his loco stories......lol

Only joking, personally think he's a top fella & itd be great if he came along too.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

I'm up for for it.

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

depending when it is I may well be up for doing a stint and some support too.

I have done 100's of miles on full size engines along with ploughing, threshing and generating for fairground rides but the only miniature i've driven is our 3" suffolk dredging tractor round the rally field when I was younger, and a 4" foster that belonged to someone else.

Can certainly see it being a challenge.

I think the coast to coast with the Foden's would be fun!

Smile

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm

LAJOG is a coast to coast run Exclamation

Coast to coast in an east to west can be as little as 40 miles Smile

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:29 pm

I've got no experience in firing and driving so probably can't help there, but if you need help in back up support for a day or two count me in and hopefully I can clear the diary.

It's mad but I like it. drunken
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 18 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

A thought that is probably not possible, but if you have a two seat arrangement you could offer driving lessons to customers for a fee / donation to the chosen charity, or to SAC members to complement their current build project.

Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HStannard Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

Mad idea but I'm up for it Laughing Wink
HStannard
HStannard

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 18 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

Robfishman wrote:A thought that is probably not possible, but if you have a two seat arrangement you could offer driving lessons to customers for a fee / donation to the chosen charity, or to SAC members to complement their current build project.

Dont see why not, the engine can easily cope with two fair sized adults on road surfaces. Those of us that have driven engines regularly could give advice to those who have less experience, having spent the weekend with The Coleman its nice to have someone to talk to and show the controls to, he will certainly be well versed with driving his engine when its finished.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Wed 19 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

Robfishman wrote:I've got no experience in firing and driving so probably can't help there, but if you need help in back up support for a day or two count me in and hopefully I can clear the diary.

It's mad but I like it. drunken

Happy to ride shot gun and help where I can as I have same experience as Rob.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty Re: mad or just plain stupid

Post  Watts&Son Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

Brilliant idea, love to have a go. Regards to all, David Watts.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Sat 22 Sep 2012, 4:38 pm

Frostie is defo up for it !!!
Put me down for the cornish corner..

Mal
Frostie
Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Mad or just plain stupid!!....but who's joining us? Empty The final leg

Post  Steve Traill Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Hi Mal

I'd already pencilled you & Buzz in for some of the Cornish leg, the engine should be nicely 'run in' by the time we get a drive! Should be a good laugh, especially on some of the Cornish hills. cheers
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 6:01 am

Steve,

Good move buddy, I wonder whose engine will be used for the run ??? 1000 miles will be a good test, and, wear gauge of the rotating parts for future reference at least.
I also offer to be part of the back up team for Devon/Cornwall if needed.
I managed to get a caravan almost the same as yours last month, so I can now attend rallies in the comfort that sooty gentlemen of our years deserve LOL.
I had a good first steam up last month, and am looking forward to 10 days time when I can have another go. I did manage to trundle up the road for 100yds and back. the rotating bits ran beautifully.
Look forward to seeing you soon, all the best
Mal.
Frostie
Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

I think is a good idea, and should be fun.

I would like to be considered for this as well as I have a little experience.

Tony.
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

The engine that is planning to travel from John o groats to Lands End is the Road Loco I am building for Steve which is in the 'Presidents' colour scheme. I've been preping the back wheels today ready for assembly, the steel hub castings are so smooth, these steel castings coming through now are really impressive.

I think Steve & Dean would like as many STW customers as possible to drive the 1000 odd miles. Nearer the time the route will be split into 10 mile slots and names allocated to each slot. I think if you can drive a 2" engine then that easily qualifies you for a 4" as it's much harder driving the little engines. I'd be more worried about a full size engine driver having a go as they are used to thing changing more slowly.

Are you coming to the 'social' tommorrow night Tony?

Glad you found yourself a nice caravan Mal, having done the small tent, big tent, small caravan, big caravan the big caravan is best! especially when it's raining
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:12 pm

Surprising how fast some things can happen pull a few hundred amps or pulling a big load Very Happy but would have to agree if just trundling round a rally field. A lot of owners/drivers don't do much more but I prefer a challenge.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Pennett Mon 24 Sep 2012, 5:57 pm

Hi All,

More than happy to get involved in any leg travelling through the NE/Yorkshire Area.

Tim
Tim Pennett
Tim Pennett

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next