Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining the club

5 posters

Go down

Joining the club Empty Joining the club

Post  gwr1475 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking of taking on a DCC build, but before I jump fully in I just have a few question.

While a fully expect to run into one or two problems along the way, how do the kits go together. Do they for the most part just bolt together or does every part need filling and adjusting to make fit.

How is the machine finish on the parts? Like the valve gear. What is the best was to remove these marks.

If you had all the kits and could work on it 2 or 3 nights a week and the odd weekend how long would it take to build one of these kits to a good finish?

I hope these question do not sound bad, by the look of things STW provide fantastic kits and I have nothing to be concirned about.

I will say Dean has been great to deal with.

Mark

gwr1475
gwr1475

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Joining the club Empty Re: Joining the club

Post  lynnr Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm

Have a read of my thread. Crystal

It is a full as it came build log.  

De burr, smooth and shine is 99.9995 % of the build. 
Valve faces and blocks. I use a very flat floor tile with emery paper oil stuck to it. Glass mirror tile will also work. Figure of eight motion and rotate part 90 every minute or so. 
Radius edges cross filed with a very fine new flat file or half round. Finish with emery stuck to it. 

If in doubt? Shout out. The answer will come quickly. Backup from Steam Traction World is also excellent.

Btw I started 9 months behind but easily caught up. Few evening hours week nights. Longer sessions usually every weekend.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

Having built five 4" engines from the STW stable I can put your mind at ease over your worries. 95% of the kit bits just go together straight from the box after removing sharp edges. 5% need a bit more fettling which with the very good instructions, half an eye for detail and patience you will have a superb engine.
Although the kits are monthly don't expect a regular delivery as material delivery to STW can delay things but you usually find the overall timescale is right.
A kit a month is a nice timescale to work too and easily achieved, I saw an engine that the owner said (proudly)he had built in 3 months (4" agricultural) It looked like it too!!! awful, just thrown together in a rush with sharp edges & machine marks everywhere. Take your time, enjoy the journey and join the happy band of STW engine owners.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm

Steve Traill wrote: I saw an engine that the owner said (proudly)he had built in 3 months (4" agricultural) It looked like it too!!! awful, just thrown together in a rush with sharp edges & machine marks everywhere.  

I've heard about the 3mth build engine but never seen it, is it really bad Shocked

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 11:57 pm

Hi Mark

In addition to above and as someone who has just started his built:
Just finished putting the rivet bolts into first rear wheel, second wheel already test-assembled with hex head bolts; still to do inner and outer cover and painting. So far I've worked on it some 40h, could have been quicker by taking some shortcuts or spend much more time by fiddling even more. I choose a middle way (I hope).

I use only normal tools & cordless drill and angle grinder, no lathe nor mill, hope not to need it, as I do not have them. All parts went together with some TLC and some sweat, blood but no tears.

So far I ran into no major issues only one thread had to be cut, no big fuss. All questions I had were quickly answered by Steve or I found a answer to my question and a solution in this forum (thanks to all for that!)

So in the end it boils down to what you expect and how far you are willing to go. The base material is excellent and with careful preparation and assembly you can and will end up with a beautiful engine - it's all up to you.

Hope this helps

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  gwr1475 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will talk to dean some more.

Mark
gwr1475
gwr1475

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down