Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rejoining tryes

4 posters

Go down

Rejoining tryes Empty Rejoining tryes

Post  hudmut Sun 18 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

I went in to work Saturday morning to fit my front tryes. But after fitting one witch i found not to be half as bad a job as i thought i moved on the second one. As soon as i started the fight to get the trye on the rim it split at the joint can any one tell me what glue to use to rejoin it.

hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Rejoining tryes Empty Re: Rejoining tryes

Post  Steam Traction World Sun 18 Jul 2010, 5:59 pm

Hi Stuart

Superglue!

Make sure you get all the old stuff off, even if that means it's a tighter fit on the rim. Normally, superglue works as well on rubber as it does on you fingers. Not this time though!

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm

Thank you for that Steve got it all sorted to day. Its great working it a tool shop its like have a wearhouse in ya back garden hope they dont do a stock take to soon.

But i do sort of have a worry i only put primer on the rim and not on the tyre should i worry about this or just leave it be ?

I should of taken the manual with me to work but i never and have only just found out after reading it to night over a beer that i should have primed the tyre i just thougt it was for when your trying to stick rubber to other stuff so i just did the rim. It seems to have worked i cant move the tyre at all.
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Rejoining tryes Empty Primer

Post  Steve Traill Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:18 pm

The makers of Isoflex recomend the primer however I know of several engines that have had tyres stuck on without the primer and are fine. In fact some people I know reckon it's better without the primer so don't lose any sleep over it! The main thing is to have shiney rough steel rim and rough sanded rubber. As in previous threads I've said that when tyres have let go it's always been on very hot sunny days and on road runs on narrow highly cambered roads. This puts most of the weight of the engine on the inner two tyres which heat up and become very soft. Once a bubble starts on the tyre the weight of the engine traveling along just peels the tyre off. On the rally field or normal two lane roads I've never had a problem hot or cold!.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Rejoining tryes Empty Re-joining tyres

Post  thehawk Fri 23 Jul 2010, 10:04 pm

When I put my front tyres on, it was during winter months and much cooler, so I left the wheels in the garage to stay cool (and small) and brought the tyres indoors to warm up for 24 hours (and expand a bit), this made them more pliable. However they still required a lot of stretch and I got a mate to help me so we use two large screwdrivers as well as the tyre levers provided by STW.
I used the isolflex primer and glue as instructed, such lovely stuff and sticks like **** to a blanket....... me, my hands, my overalls, my mate, the garage floor.... I'm sure you get the picture. I think its my second favourite job after doing up hundreds of rivet bolts in the wheels and the tender!!!
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum