Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registration plates

+7
Tufty
FosterGP6NHP
Steve Traill
Waterways
highpressure
IanL
lynnr
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Registration plates Empty Registration plates

Post  lynnr Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Hi All

Just ideally thinking. What stage in building could we feasibly start the process of getting registration plates?

Does DVLA need a full road insurance hence steam test or as the build form shows. Boiler serial number.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Registration plates Empty Re: Registration plates

Post  IanL Mon 24 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm

Lynn,

When I registered the cars in the past you need to have valid road insurance before they will issue a registration number. Not done this with a steam loco so may be different but I would guess not. Just hope we do not have to put the engine through a full IVA test that cars now have to, before applying for a registration mark.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:44 pm

You wont need a steam test to have valid road insurance, when I got the last engine registered they didnt ask to see the steam ticket just the reciepts for proof of maker and to actually look at the serial number plate. You could just as easily get it registered before its finished but probably wait till it looks almost complete to be safe. Walker Midgley are one of the good one to get miniature steam cover. When I did mine I filled in the new vehicle form and they requested it to b e taken to the local DVLA, the guy opened the door of the trailer looked at the plate on the boiler, said thats fine and he'd seen three of them so far that year (May 09) and we could be on our way. Took about 20 mins.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:51 am

When i registered mine Aug 10 they needed to see all invoices to prove it was brand new. They wanted to give me an 09 plate as that was when the boiler was made but filling in and signing an extra piece of paper they gave me a 10 plate all areas of the country seem to have different ideas. I had to book a appointment for the engine to be inspected but when it was inspected he said if he had been around on the day of registration photos would have been satisfactory. The main thing is to fill in the form correctly. e.g fuel is steam not coal.

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

Registration plates Empty Number plates

Post  Steve Traill Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

To get a number plate from the DVLA everything else needs to be in place (or it was down in sunny Cornwall) The engine had to be complete, have a valid steam & hydraulic certificate along with the insurance certificate for the coming year, all purchase invoices for the kits were needed to be seen by the official at the DVLA office and I took a couple of photo's of the engine for good measure. (Some offices require sight of the engine for inspection). If you want a 'blue' disk for your engine (part of the NTET system to make it easier for rally organisers to tell if engines are insured & tested) then you need to send off copies of your steam & hydraulic certificate before a 'blue' disk is issued free of charge. I have inverted the 'blue' as recently the disks have been all colours except blue but it is called the 'blue disk scheme' as that is the colour they started off with. I think they change the colour again to make it easier for rally organisers to tell a currant one from last years one.

So as far as getting a number plate for your engine it's pretty much going to be the last thing you get for the engine. I guess technically you could get a steam & hydraulic certificate as soon as you have the safety valve, two means of putting water into the boiler under pressure, and a pressure gauge working however the safety valve is usually in one of the last kits anyway!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  FosterGP6NHP Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

Blue disk? every body, the NTET included call it the NTET disk.

FosterGP6NHP

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Hi Lynn,

Just trying to complete the form for registration and cant fill in number of boxes and the "Helpers" on the phone dont know what is what and I'm fed up listening to 20 different options which dont cover my enquiry. What did you put in box 11 Type approval/ Certificate of conformity? Also what did you put in for Make Model etc?

Ta Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

Hi

Type approval N/A as below 8mph

Make STW Burrell SHowman/Roadloco

The below 8mph is a BIG help on getting through. They will also want valid road insurance. I have Walker Midgley (or something like that) At home, away and RTA insurance policy including tools.

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

Oh forgot to mention on this thread..

Got my number plates back in last November. Very Happy Very Happy

Registration plates EOS5DMarkII09319
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

I cant seem to find a box for the speed?? I realise you no longer have a form in fornt of you but do you know where you put that info??
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 15 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

Further comments I think
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tufty Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi

Type approval N/A as below 8mph

Make STW Burrell SHowman/Roadloco

The below 8mph is a BIG help on getting through. They will also want valid road insurance. I have Walker Midgley (or something like that) At home, away and RTA insurance policy including tools.

Hi Lynn

Does the insurance mentioned cover boiler protection once you have your steam certs? or will you have to take out another policy when it's 'ready to rally'. If they do add in boiler protection is it going to cost anything to amend it

Cheers

Tufty

Tufty

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:37 am

Hi tufty I have Walter midgley insurance with RTA, boiler and public liable stated on it. DVLA should only.be interested in the RTA aspect. I got the whole lot last may as the engine has been to shows and as you unfortunately know little johnny will even try and fall off something he should not be on or get hurt by trying to pull some part off.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tufty Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi tufty I have Walter midgley insurance with RTA, boiler and public liable stated on it. DVLA should only.be interested in the RTA aspect. I got the whole lot last may as the engine has been to shows and as you unfortunately know little johnny will even try and fall off something he should not be on or get hurt by trying to pull some part off.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I assume the boiler cover is void as you don't have your steam ticket yet though?

Cheers

Tufty

Tufty

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

Build insurance only at moment and test duration.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

For those new to registering a steam model for the road here is a helping hand.
You will need to fill out two forms from the DVLA. You will also need insurance before you submit the forms.

V55/4
V627/1

Below is an example of what to put in the boxes...

V55/4
Only boxes completed are listed. All others are left blank.
2 Tax class: steam vehicle
3 Period of tax applied for: 12 months
6 Make: name of prototype maker, STW Burrell.
7 Model: model of prototype, Road locomotive.
8 Type of body:steam tractor
9 Wheel plan: 2 axle rigid
10 Colour(s): as appropriate
11 Type approval number/catagory: n/a
28 Date from which tax disc is to run: date of registration
29 Type of fuel: steam
30 VIN/Chassis/Frame No: boiler number
31 Engine number: boiler number
32 Cylinder capacity: n/a
45 Partial postcode of purchaser: first part of your postcode
Back of first page:
46 Name & address of vehicle keeper: your details
47 Date of birth: your details
sign & date

V627/1
http://shirevillageinns.co.uk/register/rmte.htm

To get a 12 plate you need to fill in an extra declaration form which they supplied with just name and address and signature, else they go on when the boiler was made. They booked me in for a inspection on monday which he just checked the boiler plate and recieved all documents back very quickly with tax disc.

hope this helps

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

Yeah Thanks Nick!!! That really helps as I put mine in the post yesterday afetr debating for two weeks which boxes to fill and which to leave blank!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I have done one before but it was three years ago and most of the boxes you have listed there were as I had done them although there may be differences between make model etc. Not familiar with the other form?? What is that one??? I expect I will get an 11 plate as I havent submitted anything else. I also expect to get called for an inspection so I will kepp you all posted of the outcome.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

The 627 form is for the inspection and depending on your dvla office using this form and providing photos could negate you having to either take you engine to the dvla office or arranging an inspection. Just make sure you take your receipts for the kits with you too.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Ahhh the wonderful world of beaurocracy... Got the paperwork back for the local DVLA this morning to find that it is not registered as they want to see the boiler cert, a "new vehicle" doc and the boiler plans!!!! Steve very kindly sent this and I also downloaded the form above "build up declaration" just to cover all bases. I fully expect to get some other glitch here too or a request to see the damm thing at the local test centre. What with this and the news on the boiler tests its quite tedious getting this all stuff in place again. At least once its all in place its wont need to be done again.

Keep you posted..

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Registration plates Empty YES YES YES YES

Post  highpressure Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

After going back and forth a few times I get home just now to a thick pack on the door mat. Expecting to be called for an inspection I open it up to discover a shiney new reg certificate for HX12 A**. Now on the road all official like Very Happy Very Happy If only boiler certs to allow running were that easy... Shocked

Kev
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Congratz.

Hummph You got a 12. I only got a 11 as year of boiler manufacture.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

12 only came out 1 March 2012
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Registration plates Empty Registration

Post  thehawk Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm

Repeating my post on forum late last year (4" Burrell - Up and running):

I filled in the DVLA form, following the instructions from other wise ones here on the Forum. I also sent in the public liability and motor insurance certs, the STW pressure test cert, the STW safety valve cert, the receipts, the boiler certificate of conformity doc, boiler inspection certificate, plus my driving license, a utility bill and the three photos shown in my previous posting. My "local" DVLA office is Bournemouth.

I received an email from the DVLA Vehicle Inspection Officer within three days saying it looked good and implying he was satisfied with the evidence. Yesterday just 12 days from receiving my application the DVLA issued my registration certificate and a 12 month tax disc. So no further inspection required and a pretty efficient turn around by the DVLA. Yippee!!

BUT REMEMBER................

Once you have received your registration number you must go back to your insurer (WM in my case) and let them know. I forgot to do this and got a snotogram from the DVLA threatening a fine as I seemed to have a registered vehicle without insurance. Your insurance company needs to pass the registration number to the "Motor Insurance Database" (MID) - this has to be been done to stop uninsured drivers - so the thought of a DVLA man coming round to stick my engine in the crusher soon had me on the phone to WM!!

There is also one other issue with registration. Legally speaking the number plates can only be of 2 sizes both of which are too big for a 4" scale model steam engine - so you have to weigh up the risks and make a decission with fitting a smaller, say 9"x3", plate which looks right but is not legal! Of course on a public forum I'm not going to say what I actually did!!!

It's worth the effort as driving a couple of miles or more on the open road is great fun!

cheers,

Paul

thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Welldone on getting road legal so quickly Paul, a great achievement

I thought of the problem of plates (I think when I saw Lynn's photo of her plates) and think I will have two sets made up. One full size road legal magnetic and one to scale for the rally field in black and white probably signwritten if I'm feeling confident.

Looks like I'll be sending the paperwork to Bournemouth then as even on full size engine Portsmouth are a real pain to deal with.

To add to the problem this end I want to move the reg number from the car to the engine unless I find another before then....a separate application me thinks to keep the paperwork simple.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

Just for your information Rob I also went to Portsmouth as opposed to Brighton which is the one the DVLA recommended and apart from not sending the right docs first time and then sending a photocopy of the STW cert there were no issues and got the plates without request for inspection in about two weeks, so it might be worth you reconsidering pompey. Just remember to include all the docs listed above including new build and you should be OK.

I would be very surprised if any police actually stopped you for having a scale plate, most of them would be more interested in discussing the engine. I only ever had small plates on the first Burrell. I would say just dont go on major roads just stick to local residential estates.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next