Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damper Pin Position

5 posters

Go down

Damper Pin Position Empty Damper Pin Position

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:56 am

Steve

I was looking at the damper postions with the damper pin in the third fixing position down on LH side of rear specatacle plate. It seemed to be way out when playing with the damper on the control model at the weekend. I know you answered lots of questions from us all but I do not remember if I asked about this.

In the current position (as also stated in instructions), the first notch on the damper rod has the damper already fully open

It looked to be in a better position if it was in the lowest hole while playing around with it, maybe needs some trial and error before final fitting.

Also, the damper rod seems free to bounce around and drop behind the pin as you go along, is there any way you could make some sort of guide? MAybe a strip of 4mm x1 mm steel fitted to the end of the pin and bent at 90 degrees towards the hornplates 20mm or so forward of the pin centre and then bent 90 degress the otherway (Z shaped) and fixed to the hornplate. It may need a new damper pin with a threaded portion on the end if it is to small to drill and tap the end for a small bolt but just an idea. I may make one myself to make sure it stays put.

Once again, great weekend and thanks for putting it all together Dean.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Damper Pin Position Empty Re: Damper Pin Position

Post  IanL Mon 03 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

Hi Brian,

I have recently fitted the ashpan to my RL and also noticed this with the damper rod, have you had any feedback or tried moving the pin to a lower hole?

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 03 Dec 2012, 5:19 pm

You will find the damper will either be fully open or fully closed. I have also found the rod drops off the pin while driving. So need to modify mine to hold better.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Mon 03 Dec 2012, 6:12 pm

I agree with Lynn - either full open or fully closed. I haven't had my damper rod drop off the pin yet but i did make a more defined "slot" with a small round file, in effect deepening it, so maybe there's something in that. I have bounced the engine down a few really pot holed lanes recently. This was one thing I was concerned about, but it has been faultless in this respect.

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Mon 03 Dec 2012, 6:24 pm

To close my damper I need to ignore the three slots in the damper rod and leave it loose the three positions are somewhere between half open and full open not really going to make much difference in flow of air to the fire. But good to hear that it probably is not going to matter. Although the rod dropping off the pin may be so I will try to file a slot deeper .

Many thanks for the replies

Ian

Last edited by IanL on Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 03 Dec 2012, 6:34 pm

It does make a difference to the fire when the door is fully closed, normally for me by taking it off the pin also but it can still be a struggle to stop the safeties lifting, but generally just the first position is sufficient air.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down