Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tender water taps kit 8

+3
Steve Traill
Tim Watson
eng14110
7 posters

Go down

Tender water taps kit 8 Empty Tender water taps kit 8

Post  eng14110 Mon 20 Dec 2010, 8:48 pm

Hi All,
Having just unpacked kit 8 and admiring the quality of the castings I have noticed that the tender water level taps do not appear to have been drilled. Is this an oversight,is it just mine or are they not functional ?

Colin
eng14110
eng14110

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Tender water taps kit 8 Empty Re: Tender water taps kit 8

Post  Tim Watson Mon 20 Dec 2010, 10:37 pm

Have you ever used the ones on your current engine? I fiddled with the ones on Madeline and cross pinned them to stop the nuts undoing: I've never used them, so being dummy is no issue by my reckoning. Not sure where to put the water indicator float, however, as the brake shaft may interfere.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Tender water taps kit 8 Empty Dipsticks

Post  Steve Traill Mon 20 Dec 2010, 10:57 pm

You can't beat a dipstick, simple & effective, low maintenance and used on the full size engines! santa santa santa
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  greystones Tue 21 Dec 2010, 8:44 am

HI
If its any help I put my taps one facing up and one down and connected them with a piece of clear plastic pipe between.

I have a water level gauge which can be turned on and off as required. Cost zero and no extra work.

Just checked my taps , same as yours no way through.

Mike

greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 21 Dec 2010, 5:00 pm

The level taps on the side of the tender are meant to be decorative only. We did start off with making them functional but we couldn’t prevent the solder blocking off the pipe. Therefore there was little point in putting the through hole in the tapered plug. I wasn’t particularly worried about it because there is a much better way of determining your water level. You can isolate the belly tank from the tender tank, so once your tender is empty you can open up the isolation tap and let the belly tank water fill the tender. The only problem with this approach is that the belly tank water will be quite warm which will probably affect the operation of the injector so you’ll be reliant on just the mechanical pump.

Once you’ve emptied the belly tank, you’ll know that its time to start thinking about getting fresh water supplies.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 25 Dec 2010, 6:48 pm

My tender taps arrived on Christmas Eve as a separate delivery. Look a bit like horse's willies. I think I'll need to do something about them...

The other castings in the tender fittings kit are superb.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 27 Dec 2010, 6:08 pm

All I can say is you must have some rather odd looking Horses in Bucks then!!!!! affraid affraid Very Happy

Have a good new year and lets see some Photos when you get around to some lining. Going by Madeline it should look really special from you.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Tender water taps kit 8 Empty Modified taps

Post  Tim Watson Tue 28 Dec 2010, 9:07 am

After a day in the workshop, I have modified the taps to look more like the ones on Ex Mayor. I turned off the copper pipe and exposed external screw thread, counter-bored the round valve body with a centre drill and then made a solid brass extesion with a spigot to locate in this counter-bore. This extension was annealed and then bent through ninety degress. It was then silver soldered to the valve body and the shape of the tap carved out with stones iwith a dental engine. The top of the tap handle was also modified to make it more discrete and the handle shortened by 4 mm. Finally, I ran a 5/16th 40 die and tap through the screw threads to make them work better.

Result below:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/14/59/25/36/photo_10.jpg

The engine I am doing will be equivalent to Edward V!!, in terms of type, but will be finished in the livery of William V. If you go through the Steam Scenes gallery of Burrell showmans, that is the best painted engine in terms of closeness to Burrell specification - although there was huge variety between showmen of course in what thay specified.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  eng14110 Wed 29 Dec 2010, 11:54 am

Hi Tim,
What can I say - what a superb job. but will they work ??? !!!
eng14110
eng14110

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Wed 29 Dec 2010, 8:50 pm

No, see above!
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Back to top Go down

Tender water taps kit 8 Empty Water taps

Post  Rickster Fri 31 Dec 2010, 11:15 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the mail on the water taps, I then decided to have a go. I cut the copper ends off, faced the tap and centre drilled right through the valve as well with a 2mm drill.

Machined back to then put a 4mm thread on the outlet side and now making up some brass tube to fit over and bend to shape. The taps now actually work, well they don't flow air when shut off so should be ok now.

Also been busy making the rollers and pins in stainless, just the two smaller pins to go now, so no rusting problems, and looks really good.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down