Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New builder

3 posters

Go down

New builder Empty New builder

Post  andyc Sat 20 Mar 2010, 2:57 pm

Hi,

Having picked up my kits from the factory last weekend I guess I am a long way behind all of you, which I hope means there are lots of you who will know the answers to any problems I come across. Currently I have cleaned up / trial fitted the bits for the first 3 kits and am thinking about starting to put a bit of paint on. After running my Dad's 2" minnie this morning ( a quick check over before it's steam test next week ) a couple of questions came to mind. The perch bracket on the minnie gets very warm and was wondering if people on here have used the normal enamel or heat proof paint on it and also the same goes for the name rings, have people used heatproof on those also ?. What finish of heatproof have people used, I am not sure that gloss would suit an agricultural engine.

I'm sure this will be the first of many times I will ask questions but so far all the bits fit together really well and am impressed with the overall quality.

Regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

New builder Empty Re: New builder

Post  Big Al Sat 20 Mar 2010, 6:52 pm

Andy

Welcome, Have a good build which I am sure you will

I would check alll the 2" forum for tips as they are spread far and wide

Re your query I painted the perch bracket and name rings with normal paint. It does not get unduly hot as the heat goes out the boiler tubes and is drawn up the chimney, the name ring has a deflector plate behind the door, that and the fact that heat rises should mean normal paint is OK

As far as heat resistant paint I used WURTH SaBesto Lackspray heat resistant to 650 degrees and available in Matt black. It goes on superbly and a 400ml can should do all parts you will need - the exposed boiler parts and ash tray. I got the paint from maidstone engineering, well worth looking at as they provide all your painting needs.

If you need help you fill find plenty of it on this site.

All the best

Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 21 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

HI Andy

Good for you and welcome
As Al has said look through I am there .As for my paint for the smoke box it came from ajReaves .

Also look at Cheary paints they are good as well

Hughb
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down