Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell engine colour

+3
TonyT
tef 20
zzr prid
7 posters

Go down

2" Burrell engine colour Empty 2" Burrell engine colour

Post  zzr prid Wed 09 Dec 2009, 8:59 pm

Hi all

I started my build in october and is going well. But there is two thing's that are always on my mind, the colour scheme and where to get the paint from.

I have two in mind. 1st is racing green with black wheels
2nd is blue with blue wheels.

Which one do you think would look best?

And where would be a good place to get the paint from ?

Thanks for you help

zzr prid

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell engine colour Empty Re: 2" Burrell engine colour

Post  tef 20 Wed 09 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

I would highly recomend craftmaster paints, here is the link http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/ it is a very good paint it is easy to brush or spray and gives a good finish my engine is painted with there paint which is Crimson Lake
2" Burrell engine colour SDC10873

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Thu 10 Dec 2009, 4:29 pm

Hi the paint I've used on my engine has come from Phoenix Precision Paint www,phoenix-paints.co.uk
As for colour that is a very personal thing,I've chosen Burrell Quaker green.There does seem to be a lot of crimson engines out there.
I've also seen Hughb's engine,thats painted blue with blue wheels and it looks very nice.

cheer's Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 10 Dec 2009, 8:45 pm

Hi guys

I see you have the same prob I did .WHAT to paint it .Well ok I now as of today have been told that Burrell did not do a BLUE engine . But my paint is Burrell/Fower blue it came from Phoenix .............

Pluss I did say that I paid for it and if I can fined it I will paint it pink with blue pokerdots

Here are some pics
2" Burrell engine colour Cimg2338
2" Burrell engine colour Cimg2933Boiler is light blue as I mixed but dark blue is for me. Look at the top of the horn plate.
2" Burrell engine colour Cimg2937
2" Burrell engine colour Cimg2895
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  zzr prid Sat 12 Dec 2009, 12:54 am

TonyT wrote:Hi the paint I've used on my engine has come from Phoenix Precision Paint www,phoenix-paints.co.uk
As for colour that is a very personal thing,I've chosen Burrell Quaker green.There does seem to be a lot of crimson engines out there.
I've also seen Hughb's engine,thats painted blue with blue wheels and it looks very nice.

cheer's Tony

Thanks for all your help. Went on to phoenix-paints web page and found a colour i like. The colour i was thinking of going for is CT22 Burrell Quaker Green:D Very Happy.

But I only have acesss to spraying equipment at work, so some of the painting will have to be done at home. Do they sell this paint as a aerosol ?

I did look on there web site,but could not see any aerosols.

Thank you all for your help

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

zzr prid

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell engine colour Empty Burrell Blue

Post  Tim Watson Sat 12 Dec 2009, 9:45 am

Burrells were painted all the colours under the sun, but maroon and green were the most common. The 'official' prototype paint styles look best to my eyes, but I am a bit obsessive -compulsive in this respect. The most famous blue engine is Ex-Mayor (see the DCC thread). Aerosols do not neccessarily give a good finish, especially when spraying oil-based paint.

Whatever colour you paint it, I'm sure you'll have good fun.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sat 12 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

Thought I'd add to this one with some sound advice..

Preperation....Preperation....Preperation.

Spend time getting the metalwork nice and clean, spend time getting the primer coat prepared for top coating and then take your time with the top coat.
I've sprayed mine using aerosol paint. Ford to be exactish. As long as you TAKE YOUR TIME and definitely do NOT rush things, you'll get a cool finish with whatever colour you choose.. Very Happy

Take it easy...

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell engine colour Empty Blue Burrells

Post  Steve Traill Sat 12 Dec 2009, 5:58 pm

Hi, just for the record, Burrells had orders for five engines from the Csar of Russia and they were all painted in Russian Imperial Blue which is a medium to dark blue, not a mile away from the colour you've chosen! They were ordered between 1909 and 1914 through their agents Makeef & Fadeef of Ekaterinburg, they were all single crank compounds and ........................................................road rollers.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 15 Dec 2009, 8:15 pm

LilyJack wrote:Thought I'd add to this one with some sound advice..

Preperation....Preperation....Preperation.

Spend time getting the metalwork nice and clean, spend time getting the primer coat prepared for top coating and then take your time with the top coat.
I've sprayed mine using aerosol paint. Ford to be exactish. As long as you TAKE YOUR TIME and definitely do NOT rush things, you'll get a cool finish with whatever colour you choose.. Very Happy

Take it easy...

LilyJack Cool

HI Lilyjack
I like this As it counts at work pluss ..I and you can say I now have earnd some beers tongue drunken
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down