Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blast nozzle

2 posters

Go down

Blast nozzle Empty Blast nozzle

Post  Andy m Thu 02 May 2024, 7:37 pm

Hi all last year I  bought an allready built burrell agri.ive just had my steam tests done where the inspector commented on the blast nozzle doesent seem to draw on the fire as he would expect.he suggested making up a smaller nozzle,this got me thinking about what I've read before. My engine started with early kits  under modelworks, where a smaller chimney was supplied. Now it does have the more common  chimney as supplied now.so I've got to thinking has the nozzle sizes changed ?I'd me most interested to hear if anyone has experimented with the nozzle size and what results were obtained, cheers

Andy m

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2024-05-02

Back to top Go down

Blast nozzle Empty Re: Blast nozzle

Post  LiveSteam Fri 03 May 2024, 8:00 pm

Can only comment that I own Modelworks engine No 1 which also has the bigger chimney fitted dont think the blast nozzle was changed.

Dont have any issues with draw, BUT do make sure the chimney throat is kept clear, I do remember in my early days of ownership on my 6th or so rally it really struggled to make steam, thought it was coal issues all kinds of thing.
Once home I shone a torch down the chimney and realised there was only about a thumb sized hole left in all the crud to let the fire smoke out Embarassed
Chimney off, gave it a good clean and the throat area, popped it back on and it was a good as new, I now tend to give that area a good clean every 6mths or so.

Worth checking.

TBH I find the hardest thing on my Agri is trying to stop the dam thing making steam Laughing Laughing Laughing

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Andy m likes this post

Back to top Go down