Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aspan and steam take off pipes

3 posters

Go down

Aspan and steam take off pipes Empty Aspan and steam take off pipes

Post  T140 Sun 25 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

Greetings,

At last I am making some progress on my engine but I have come across a number of problems.

1) The holes that the ash pan retaining pins align with were out on the pan by 5mm, being stainless steel it took me 2 hours of very dubious grinding to elongate the holes, so now the pins fit. But I am not very happy with the retaining linkage at the rear, has anybody else had problems with the alignment and improved the ash pan fixing?

2) The two steam header pipes from the top of the boiler that feed the water glass and the steam turret on the rear spectacle plate. My rear plate is removed for the moment and I need to tighten the stubs into the boiler, what sealant should I be using? Bearing in mind the crank shaft needs to be fitted and I won't be able to reach these two nuts on the pipes, if there a guide to where the pipes should be, or is there just enough room left to adjust after attaching the crankshaft?

I hope the above makes sense, it's been a couple of frustrating days, any help will be gratefully received!!!

Thanks in advance, stay safe.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Aspan and steam take off pipes Empty Re: Aspan and steam take off pipes

Post  Steve Traill Mon 26 Oct 2020, 8:25 am

I just fitted a third pin near the back on the RHS. keeps it pretty airtight so the fire is controlled by the damper.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Aspan and steam take off pipes Empty Aspan and steam take off pipes

Post  T140 Mon 26 Oct 2020, 10:14 am

Steve,

I was considering that too, removing the stud for the linkage and making a plate that bolts behind the hornplate, then drilling through for another pin, is that what you did?

Cheers.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Aspan and steam take off pipes Empty Ashpan Fixing

Post  hydro9 Mon 26 Oct 2020, 7:38 pm

I agree the ashpan fixing is a little imprecise, but seems adequate, based upon my last 4 years of steaming.

Whatever changes/improvements you make, please keep in mind that if, one day, everything goes seriously pear-shaped you will need to be
able to drop the fire quickly. Sods law says this will occur when you're driving along, way away from your extensive tool box.

When your steaming along that Ashpan and fixings are all incredibly hot. The pins are too hot to pull even with leather gloves.
With that in mind I keep a pair of pliers in the tender to pull those pins at a moments notice.
Not had to so far, but 'when you've got an umbrella it doesn't rain'.

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Aspan and steam take off pipes Empty Re: Aspan and steam take off pipes

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down