Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVLA VIN Number

5 posters

Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty DVLA VIN Number

Post  spiritofkent Mon 05 Oct 2020, 5:47 pm

Just heard back from DVLA with my VIN No. and list of forms to fill in etc. All very achievable in principle but less so in practice -

Says I quote "Under regs whapity whap the VIN must be marked on the bodywork and on a plate attached to the vehicle ( traction engine) Un quote

That means as I read it in TWO places

also says quote " The VIN should be stamped/embossed on the offside of the vehicle in a clearly visible and accessible position, should be hammered or stamped in such a way
that it cannot be obliterated or deteriorate and that it  should also be stamped/embossed on a plate which is attached to the vehicle un quote

Anyone tell me where they have stamped the VIN and where they have affixed a plate with the VIN on it please!?

I was thinking of the plate being affixed to the tender.  For the stamping I have seen someone stamp the VIN on the smoke box itself around the circumference on the face that the door
seals up against...... The stamping has to be visible which it is not when the smoke box door is closed....

Dilemma ....

Thanks!

spiritofkent

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-05-07

Back to top Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty Re: DVLA VIN Number

Post  lynnr Mon 05 Oct 2020, 7:58 pm

Hi

On the hornplate in front of the wheel down near the foundation ring would comply and not be in every picture taken.

Lynn
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  spiritofkent Mon 05 Oct 2020, 8:11 pm

Thanks Lynn
You wouldn't by chance have a picture of exactly where you mean without me going to where the Engine is stored for me to work it out!!!

Kind regards

spiritofkent

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 05 Oct 2020, 9:33 pm

Hi

Sorry but no. On my engine, being the showman, has the belly tank mounting brackets on to the horn plates. You would be in the same area but on the horn plate itself.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

spiritofkent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Wed 07 Oct 2020, 9:32 pm

I stamped it on the top edge of the Hornplates beside the water pump, it's 5mm steel and I used a set of 4mm numbers & letters. It's visible but doesn't show in pics, also you are stamping an unstressed part and you haven't got to contort yourself to see it.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty Vin Number location

Post  spiritofkent Wed 07 Oct 2020, 11:03 pm

Thanks for your suggestion which is greatly appreciated. You only get one chance at getting this right. All thoughts I had meant being a contortionist which makes getting the number in a nice straight line very difficult!

spiritofkent

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant Wed 14 Oct 2020, 12:00 pm

I stamped the inside of the door of the smoke box where it is not visible at all normally. I also added a brass plate with the VIN number engraved and attached it to the top of the coal bunker where it is normally hidden by coal.

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty DVLA VIN Number location

Post  spiritofkent Wed 14 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm

Very many thanks indeed for that information. Presumably when you got this inspected there was no come back from DVLA. Did you just get the required paperwork signed by a Garage and/or send photographic evidence? It is not clear when they ask for photographs if DVLA just was a pic of the engine or the VIN ....

spiritofkent

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant Wed 14 Oct 2020, 3:39 pm

A local garage viewed the VIN numbers and signed a form. I also sent pictures of the engine showing clearly where the VIN was stamped and that it was readable. A few other people have had the smoke box door accepted from the DVLA as well, to me this was a better option as the hornplates were powder coated and painted.

The brass plate is just stuck to tender and could be prised off probably leaving no damage. I glued a couple of screw heads in place to make it look like it was bolted on and thus a more permanent fixture.

I also had to send general pictures of the engine from different angles showing exactly what was being registered.

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty Vin Number location

Post  spiritofkent Wed 14 Oct 2020, 10:53 pm

Thank you Alan for your kind response. I am almost certain now I will go for the smoke box stamping. I am having a brass VIN plate being made up as I write and this will be affixed on the tender

in a place'not staring in your face' so to speak. I intend fixing it on with tamper proof screws in 4 mm threaded holes. The DVLA requirements are really aimed at registration of motor vehicles and so their requirements

are based up such vehicles. Chassis /Frame are not actual parts of a steam engine as we all know. The closest to Frame are the Hornplates........

Shall be so glad to get this physical ID bit done so that can get the paper work submitted. The DVLA must be credited for a very quick response to an e-mail I sent them asking to register for road use my traction engine. I heard back from them within a week! Acceptance of my submitted forms and evidence may perhaps take longer.

spiritofkent

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 15 Oct 2020, 8:07 pm

Why they dont let us use the boiler number (like mine is) beats me, you'd think that would be the best option as a boiler change is massive work, compared to pinging off a little brass plaque Wink

I know that apparently my V5C is wrong as it has the boiler number as the VIN but unless the DVLA actually ask me to change it then it will stay that way Smile

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

DVLA VIN Number  Empty Update on Registration with DVLA

Post  spiritofkent Thu 15 Oct 2020, 8:58 pm

Could not agree more that the given unique Boiler Number is the most sensible option for a steam engine but when does sense come easily into the equation! As a little luxury instead of fitting the supplied generic
brass plate that affixes to the cylinder, that STW supply with the same number 1836 or similar, I commissioned STEAMPLATES do me another with my 'actual boiler number' on it. Job done then if this had been the rule!!!!

STEAMPLATES are doing me a brass VIN plate to affix to the Tender in a suitable place but still have to overcome the stamping somewhere else. Around the outer circumference of the smoke box door face itself is looking my likely place ...unless anyone can persuade me otherwise. I shall make sure that if the stamping raises the surface in any way it is filed back so as to maintain a good seal when the door is closed.

spiritofkent

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down