Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed with injector

+8
lynnr
elwood-59
parador
Kevster
LiveSteam
Will@STW
Simon C
Schteamer
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Help needed with injector - Page 4 Empty Re: Help needed with injector

Post  elwood-59 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 7:44 pm

Hi,

thanks but, yes, tried before at lower pressures, but did not work either.

Cheers

Elwood

elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 30 Aug 2020, 8:45 pm

Have you checked the hole through the clack valve to boiler is clear ,also is the ptfe insert still in one piece and not blocking the passage or the valve tap is in the shut position?

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 8:51 pm

Hi Kev,

thanks, but, yes it was (and I guess) still is ok, and i can blow air into the boiler, so steam into the boiler also should not be a problem. Means both insert is ok and the mark I put on the valve spindle is the right way around  Very Happy .

Thanks

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Help needed with injector - Page 4 Empty SUCCESS

Post  elwood-59 Fri 25 Sep 2020, 4:24 pm

Hi all,

Just to let you know after 269 days since first steaming today I finally got the injector to work.  bounce  bounce

Last weekend Lynn posted a video on Crystal‘s end of steaming. I noticed that on Crystal the pressure slowly drops while the injector works, while on Pied Piper as soon as you open the injector globe valve the pressure drops considerably. We discussed that and she suggested to look for a restriction between boiler and steam head. When I fed water into the boiler to steam head pipe the water only slowly dribbled into the boiler. I found that the elbow at the boiler was bad, i.e. there was only a small bore instead of full diameter, which you can only see with a torchlight down the elbow.  affraid

Help needed with injector - Page 4 C7658d10
Before  pale

Help needed with injector - Page 4 E8076a10
After  Very Happy

After drilling both sides with a 6,5mm drill to open it up, now there is no restriction anymore and the injector is fed with full boiler pressure instead of being fed only with reduced pressure due to restriction (orifice) in the elbow.

In hindsight it was easy to notice and I should have been able to diagnose it quicker, but then again in hindsight EVERYTHING is easy. Anyways it‘s working now, which is the main issue. Lession learned.  jocolor

For all of you still at assembly, it is a good thing to doublecheck pipes , connectors and elbows before mounting. The access to the elbow was very easy when I mounted it back then but now with the crankshaft in place it is a job I do not want to do again, the space for to get to the elbow is very limited, to say the least.

For all of you who have made valuable suggestion, thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Cheers & Stay Safe

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

LiveSteam, Will@STW and GeorgeTB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Sun 02 May 2021, 9:33 pm

Air leaks on the suction side of the injector will stop it from picking up.
I open the water valve fully - I replaced the injector water valve with one from LSM.
Open the steam valve a full turn - I replaced the valve with one from R.A. Barker
The injector starts to pick up but splutters, close the water valve a little then open it until the injector picks up, then once it starts feeding open the steam valve a little more.

https://youtu.be/TArXl0g1cxA

The Youtube link above shows how a properly engineered injector will lift water AND operate even when hot.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4