Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank

3 posters

Go down

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank Empty Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank

Post  Bertieburrell Wed 26 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm

Hi guys, looking to pick your brains for advice on the sealing of the tender tank using Isoflex.!
I am building a 4 inch agricultural and have the point where I need to apply the isoflex to the tank in my tender I will of course be applying the isoflex primer first.
My questions are,
What is the best way of sealing up the vacant holes. to protect threads etc prior to application.
The instructions from STW state that you should tape up just above the fixing holes for the top of the tank, and the flanges of the top too.
Will this cause problems when fitting the top as mine is already a very tight fit.
Any advice on how you experienced guys have done this would be very much appreciated.

Bertieburrell

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank Empty Re: Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank

Post  Midwest Steam Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:19 pm

I’ll show you what I did, it’s easier to see everything than it is to explain. I’m more visual anyway, seem to pick things up quicker that way. What I did was use flexseal, the brake tube and top was put on outside the tender since it’s easier to apply that way. All the holes had tape on them and some of the threads did get covered. One way to prevent that is to cut off the ends of Q-tips and plug the threaded holes that way, although I just ran a screwdriver through the hole to get the majority out then use a tap to clear the threads.

The top was so tight on mine it wouldn’t fit properly, however a flap disk and angle grinder took just enough material off to make it a good tight fit. I then assembled the brake tube on the tender and applied flexseal to all the surfaces to make it water tight, leaving the top 1/2 inch unsealed. After putting the top on I went in with a brush with the handle cut off, it’s easier to get all the edges that way, and sealed all the edges. Can’t say it’s watertight as I haven’t tested it yet but I’m confident it shouldn’t leak

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank F61d8910

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank Ffb82610

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank B30c0410

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank A1393d10

Hope this helps!
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank Empty Re: Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank

Post  Bertieburrell Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm

That's great thanks a million I obviously misread the instructions I see that you have taped off for the top plate just below the holes and that you have taped off the flanges too, mine fits but there's no gap around for the isoflex, the cut off paintbrush is an excellent idea too.
Thankyou Midwest, much appreciated.

Bertieburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Wed 26 Feb 2020, 11:48 pm

My pleasure! Yes I did tape everything off just short of where the top and side, the isoflex should be able to fill the gaps quite easily.

2 more tips as well,

Pull the tape before the isoflex dries completely, usually about 30-45 minutes is just right, otherwise the tape won’t be easy to remove. The next tip is to use some gloves when applying the isoflex, I use rubber gloves because they’re cheap and can be thrown away. This makes it easier to clean up and won’t get that sticky stuff on your hands, it takes a lot of scrubbing to get it off! When reaching into the tank through the access hole you will get some on your hands, it’s just easier to take off a pair of gloves at the end of the job
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Bertieburrell Mon 02 Mar 2020, 3:59 pm

Thanks again for the advise job completed.

Bertieburrell

Back to top Go down

Advice wanted ref sealing the tender tank Empty Weighshaft bracket.

Post  Bertieburrell Mon 02 Mar 2020, 4:02 pm

It's me again, do I need to put foliac under the weighshaft bracket?

Bertieburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 03 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

Hi

No. Foliac is just the cylinder block. The bolts for the weighshaft bracket will need thread sealant though as they do pass in to the pressure vessel.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Bertieburrell Fri 06 Mar 2020, 8:51 pm

Thankyou Lynn, much appreciated.

Bertieburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down