Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on sealing tender tank

5 posters

Go down

Advice on sealing tender tank Empty Advice on sealing tender tank

Post  simonbos Mon 19 Nov 2012, 7:42 pm

Hi
What is the best way of sealing the water tank in the tender?
Steve suggests Isoflex or POR15 petrol tank sealer. I am thinking Isoflex would be easier to use but how do you go about sealing the top corners of the tank once the lid is in place and do you need to put the paint primer on first?
Any suggestions/ideas gratefully received
Thanks
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Advice on sealing tender tank Empty Re: Advice on sealing tender tank

Post  Flasback Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:30 pm

Simon,

I would do as Steve suggests, when you do por15 place the liquid in the tank, seal the holes all of them (learnt the lesson after the first tender but got the 2nd one right) and get a friend help you turn it around for 5 minutes on all axis, this will cover all the tender and if you have any gaps the liquid will pour through which is a good thing if not too much and seal. Once it's set you can then rub the tender down and bobs your uncle. Make sure you wear gloves and old clothes plus do it outside as its messes. If it helps cover the corners with tape

Once you have completed the task have a nice cold beer, plus give your friend one (drink that is Embarassed ).

Good luck

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:41 pm

Hi

I painted the inside of the tank with the end panels off with isoflex to within 1/4" of the bolt holes. Painted the inside of the end covers to just short of where the lap joint would be. Once dry. Fitted and bolted up then reached in and painted each line of bolts with the working surface in the down position. Paint the oval covers all over. Leave to dry and fit. No fuss and no mess. Worked perfect first time.

I did the same with the water bowser as described in my photo thread. (With pictures)

Tender was done the same way. Left the end panel off (one that faces the firebox) painted everything the same way.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Weston Mon 19 Nov 2012, 8:51 pm

I soldered mine, water tight. Then covered it in a protective layer of rubber tank sealer.

Regards

Ryan
Weston
Weston

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 19 Nov 2012, 11:14 pm

I used POR15, but gave it 3 good coats (by brush) of the stuff and made sure everything was sealed, letting it run along the joints to seal. I found this way I didn't waste as much and it didn't end up everywhere as I did with the bowser. Use some of those cheap brushes though and just bin them after. Also paint the top before fixing.

For sealing the top joint do the same, 3 good coats through the hole. Once done I filled with water and left for an hour to check for leaks. All passed first time.

Did the same with the belly tank but painted all before fabrication and just did the joints and bolts once it was together.

I had a problem with the bowser in that it didn't bond and it failed the water test, when I took the tank apart it had "shrunk" off the metal. So do make sure its rubbed down well first to give a really good key. Brushing also meant I could check it was well adhered.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down