Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Tanks

+2
Kiwiconnection
simonbos
6 posters

Go down

Water Tanks Empty Water Tanks

Post  simonbos Sat 02 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

Hi All
Am thinking of cutting much larger holes in the tops of the two water tanks for better access and then having them hot zinc sprayed inside as corrosion protection but understand they will still need painting inside afterwards as the zinc coating is still a bit porous. I am not keen on POR15 (trying to get it evenly coated inside as the tanks are too heavy to keep rotating) or Isoflex (which I used on my 4" Burrell). Or is another option to cut bigger holes and then brush on POR15?
Has anybody else gone down this route - cutting bigger holes or zinc spraying and can offer me any advice?
Thanks,
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks Empty Re: Water Tanks

Post  Kiwiconnection Sat 02 Feb 2019, 9:01 pm

How about galvanising the whole tank?
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 02 Feb 2019, 9:38 pm

I thought the tanks were stainless.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks Empty Water tanks

Post  Poderoso Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:15 am

Why bother ?

Tanks are seam welded so no leaks to seal unlike a flanged and riveted tender. Surely they should last a year or two,and then maybe replace with stainless.
I’ve not painted mine and I know of  more than one truck that’s running around with no coating on the inside of  their tanks.

Another option if you want to go down the coating route is google paints for water tanks as on narrow boats etc.

As the saying goes “Food for thought “ Very Happy

Poderoso

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Willsy Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

Hi
I’m going to cut inspection hatches in the top of mine and then give the inside of the tanks 3 coats of Apexier no 3 which in my opinion is the best paint to use as it’s suitable for salt water! We have used it before with good results!

Willsy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2014-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun 17 Feb 2019, 10:37 am

Hi All
Thanks for the replies, but after much research have decided to coat inside of water tanks with Apexior No 3 paint which is very expensive but seems to be the ideal product.
Have ordered a 2.5 litre can but think I will only need to use a fraction of that so if anybody is wanting to share a can please let me know.
Thanks,
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sun 17 Feb 2019, 6:47 pm

Hi Simon

I tried apexior No3 on my 4.5 foden and it has mixed results after 2 years untouched my lower tank the upper half was still coated well but the lower half had all gone and the tank is heavily rusted and started to corrode in one or two places, Im not trialing a Isoflex rubber product on them as ive heard its really good stuff and more durable

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down