Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eccentric straps

+2
Mark the spark
elwood-59
6 posters

Go down

Eccentric straps  Empty Eccentric straps

Post  elwood-59 Sun 01 Jul 2018, 3:09 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on eccentric strap mounting. Have fitted the eccentrics to the crankshft and started to fit the eccentric straps. First one HP forward went on easily turns quite good with only coarse lapping compund so far. Next one was HP reverse - completely different.
Mounting each half dry to check fit I noticed that both straps barely fit, i.e. I can get them on but I cannot turn them, started to look for any binding spots and with repeated appying of lapping compound now am able to barely move each half by itself. As soon as I put them both on even with the bolts just stuck on I cannot move them anymore.

It looks as if the inside diameter of the strap is a bit smaller than the outside diameter of the eccentric. With only the ends on and a small gap still left on the „middle“ part I can turn them but when I press them on by hand they stick and you need considerable force to remove them, but it feels like it adheres only with the oil/grinding paste not as if the parts deform elastically in any way.

Checked with the LP straps and they seem to be the same

Right now I have the crankshaft on my workbench with two v-blocks so I can rotate the crankshaft, but I have no real leverage to keep it from rotating. I was thinking about building a lever to fit to the strap in place of the eccentic rod,

How did you do that fitting? Any trick which helped you to get along.
Spend now around 4 h on that one strap only and it seems to be as bad as in the beginning Embarassed
Thanks

Cheers

Elwood

Last edited by elwood-59 on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remove some typos)
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Eccentric straps  Empty Re: Eccentric straps

Post  Mark the spark Sun 01 Jul 2018, 5:31 pm

I put the eccentrics in my lathe and spun them and slowly tighten them up as the compound ground them in they are all as smooth as silk now

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 01 Jul 2018, 6:18 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this idea, was thinking about that, too, but having no lathe this might not work for me Sad

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sun 01 Jul 2018, 6:33 pm

do not any of your friends have one ? or a local club

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 01 Jul 2018, 6:39 pm

Persistence. It might be just a little bit of stickieness. Do you have some engineers blue to use to find the binding areas that need addressed. You might find it is one little spot and give it a little scrape with a squared off sharp edge.

I used the 40, 60 ,80 and 120 timesaving compounds and got my eccentrics in to good order from totally bound up to silky smooth in about 12 hours of work.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 01 Jul 2018, 6:49 pm

Hi Lynn,

So just 8 h more Laughing
No engineers blue but used a felt tip pen and was looking for high spots.

So I might just have to get on again  Shocked

Thanks

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Mon 02 Jul 2018, 11:16 pm

If it's any help to you, I used a lathe dog to turn my crank whilst lapping in the crank bearings, you could use the same method for the valve eccentrics, on the engine. They are quite cheap, and available in many sizes. I just put a piece of scrap ally between it and the crank when tightening up.

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Tue 03 Jul 2018, 1:21 pm

If they are a long way off fitting it could be a manufacturing error - they do happen.
Ask STW to send you a replacement strap, bit of a bind having to wait for it, but at least the engine will finish up being built to "standard".

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Tue 03 Jul 2018, 1:42 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice.
I would not say they are completly off as such, only they are tolerance-wise on the low side. If pressed on by hand the strap will stick to the eccentric and with some fluid like oil or lapping paste in between will just be „glued“ on. If only the ends of the strap are on the eccentic and there still is a gap of some mm in the middle, I can (barely) turn the strap but if I push a bit more it will settle onto the eccentric and just lock up.
No need to do both halves already as I cannot turn either of them easily anyways and with both on and the bolts just in but not tightened it just locks up.

What I am trying to do (following Mark‘s suggestion) is to build a fixture to be able to turn the eccentric (removed from the crankshaft for more room and easier handling) by hand and steady the strap at the same time with the other hand. Hope this will get me on the right track.

At this moment, with the crankshaft won the workbench I just do not have a lever to turn the strap and/or the eccentric for the needed movement, like roast on a spit. Was even thinking about remounting the crankshaft to the bearings and fit the flywheel for leverage, if my „hand-spun lathe“ is a failure this might be the next try.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 03 Jul 2018, 7:22 pm

Elwood
If you remove the eccentric from the crank, clamp it with a suitably large "G" clamp on the sides and then clamp the "G" clamp spine in the workmate.
You should have enough room around the clamp to fit and turn the eccentric strap at this point.
As for a handle to turn the strap a simple piece of flat bar around 300mm long with 2 holes in one end bolted to the strap using the connecting rod bolts supplied.
Bedding the bearing should be done using a back and forward motion as round and round risks scoring circular grooves in the strap/bearing surfaces.
As Lynn said patience is the key to this part, it took me a couple of good and long days to get spot on but its worth doing properly first time and not having to re-visit later when you find it wont holed oil and hence runs hot.
Just for info my straps had bound up on the internal radius of the strap it went from bad to good all of a sudden and not gradually as I had expected it to.
Don't forget to clean all of the parts thoroughly (I used cellulose thinners) on completion of each lapping to remove all the lapping residue, then trial fit with a little oil before moving on to further lapping or reducing the grit.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Tue 03 Jul 2018, 7:39 pm

Hi again,

Update:
another 2h on HP reverse eccentric strap and, lo and behold, almost done.

Lynn you were right - Persistence - first removed the outer eccentric (HP forward) as this was working already - just to have more room. Covered the V-Blocks with cloth, my hands with gloves and started with one half only, gripping the conrod throw of the crankshaft, After about 1 h I could just about turn each of them, put them together and started to turn again.

This time, and with keeping the straps centered so they would not bind, managed to get the nuts on and to start to tighten the two strap bolts up, 1/6 of a turn each time, adding more lapping compound ever so often until just now the  two straps parts finally did touch and I can still turn the strap, with alot of effort, but I can.

Tomorrow some more and I should have finished 2 of 4 straps with coarse lapping compound, so just another 2 rounds each with medium and fine lapping compound Shocked

Thanks for bearing with me and for all your good advice.

Cheers

A reliefed Elwood.

PS My rule is to buy a tool if I missed it 3 times and was frustrated because of that. 2 times so far I missed a lathe...   Very Happy Very Happy

PPS@ Simon, just saw you post as I was finishing mine. Yes that would have been the next step; I just wanted not to give up and have another try this evening, and, as per above, it worked. Maybe the temperature changed so it loosened up a bit - joking - but seriously the c-clamp - vise fixture or something similar would have been the next step. All day long when off the phone and taking a break, I was sketching along on a piece of paper, let my mind wander to do a one person brainstorming session...

And yes I did as you suggested a rocking motion forward and back all the way around in kind of a pilger step truning. But, again this was only coarse, medium and fine still to come.

Thanks bounce

Last edited by elwood-59 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos again, sorry)
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:21 pm

Update - Feedback
Job done bounce . Persistence was the key word. After about 10 h so far I have 2 of the four straps lapped in with fine lapping compound, 2 more and the big ends of connecting rods need to be done with medium and fine, coarse is already done. Made myself a little strap as a handle just as Simon has suggested, that did the trick.

Thanks to all.

As a in-between I tried to test fit the connecting rods to the crossheads to check sideways position of crankshaft but having trouble to fit the Grudgeon Pins into the cross heads as they are more like a press fit than a sliding fit as I would have assume. Don‘t know how tight or loose the connection should be, will see.

Thanks again

Cheers

Elwood

elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:34 pm

Hi

You need a nice bearing fit on the little end bushes. So I would check the fit there before adjusting the gudgeon pin fit in the cross head. Might just need a polish up with 800 wet and dry
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:39 pm

Hi Lynn,
pin to cross head is tight but manageable by hand, i.e. I can push the pin into the cross head by hand.
Truoble is with the bearing at the conrod, could not ge the rod into little end.

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:55 pm

Hi

Using a fine half round file or a reamer of the correct diameter you can fit the little end bush to the gudgeon pin. The crosshead fit is ideal as you do not want the pin rotating in the crosshead.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

Hi Lynn,

reamer it is then I assume. will have to ask my son if I can borrow a reamer from the company he works at.

Thanks

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 07 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

Hi Elwood
If a reamer is unavailable then an old trick a learned years ago is to use a drill bit of a slightly smaller size than the hole in the bush and wrap the shank with fine-ish wet and dry paper then use this like you would use a draw filing an edge.
don,t forget to clean thoroughly on completion as you do not want carborundum dust in the bearing surface.
Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:38 am

I put a small roll pin into the cross head and a small nick on the gudgeon pin so the pin cant rotate

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Eccentric straps  Empty Job done

Post  elwood-59 Sat 14 Jul 2018, 3:42 pm

Hi all,

Finally I can give you a thumbs-up on that.
Eccentric  and big end bearings lapped in using fine lapping compound.
Checked little end pin dia and came up with 14,00 mm on my micrometer - spot on.
Got ahold of a reamer 14H8 so 14,00 to 14,027 mm nominal.
Used reamer with plenty of cutting oil => pin can be pushed into bushing by hand, but no play whatsoever -just what the doctor ordered.
Still a interferance fit between pin and cross head, built myself a little „press“, using a long M6 bolt and two sockets , one outside dia less than 14 mm the other with inside dia larger than 14 mm so I can press the pin in and out with slide bars and valve gear mounted, at least I hope.

In the end all came together with your help, thanks for that bounce

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down