Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog

4 posters

Go down

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog Empty Lykamobile Series 2 Blog

Post  Grier Wed 18 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

I have created a BlogSpot as have some others who are building the Series 2 Lykamobile. Although I have not received any of my kits (1-7), I chose to have my kits batched for shipping economy to the USA. Nevertheless, I have been busy finding accessories etc. for the build. My BlogSpot is: www.210doghouse.blogspot.com

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog Empty Re: Lykamobile Series 2 Blog

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 19 Oct 2017, 2:51 pm

Good luck with the blog and the build Grier. Hope it goes well and brings you a lot of pleasure,

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog Empty Thank you for the blog!

Post  Stork Tue 13 Mar 2018, 2:47 am

Hello Grier,

Thank you for taking the time to produce a blog on the Lyka build. I finally made time to start working on my kit and I am going to follow your advice on switching to stainless steel (since I live a mile from the bay in Miami). I have already put together my chassis and luckily everything fit as it should. No real adjustments except that I had to straighten on of the threads that got bent during shipping. Steve told me to place a nut and strike it back into place and if anything happened they would replace the part. Great customer service! Tomorrow I am taking apart and cleaning for primer on Wednesday then once my rivets arrive I'll be doing the hand brake. Next week I deal with the diff (thats going to be fun but I set aside 2 days to do the work)
Keep up the post! Already signed up for notifications on your blog.

Robert

Stork

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-22

http://www.robertblanchard.co

Back to top Go down

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog Empty Stainless Steel USA Source

Post  Grier Tue 13 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

Hi Robert,
I'm glad you contacted me, hopefully we can meet up someday. I frequent Key West occasionally -- so who know?
Anyway, I should have put in my blog my source for Stainless Steel fasteners. They have some of the hard to find parts, like the left hand thread jam nuts for the steering linkages etc. And their prices are reasonable too. Here is the website: www.belmetric.com
Best Regards,
Grier

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Stork Tue 13 Mar 2018, 9:03 pm

Hello Grier,

Thanks for the link! Didn't get around to doing anything today, so tomorrow is prep and rusty primer for the welds... I just received the rivets, just waiting for the model A rivet punch to arrive, which should get here in a few days (I have a model T so the rivet lunch will eventually come in handy when (if ever) I need to change the bands... I also am trying to make a leather tool roll and those rivets will com in handy Very Happy
Best regards,
Robert

Stork

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-22

http://www.robertblanchard.co

Back to top Go down

Lykamobile Series 2 Blog Empty to bolt or weld

Post  jjtjr Sat 05 May 2018, 11:38 am

After a build and rebuild with 2 years between the two, Some things have been discovered,The lower running gear is bolted together and needs to flex for the road. But I found that the upper chassis (body part) bolting is not the best solution, yes I know it was designed to go together that way. It was done for shipping and ease of assembly, but the upper frame is always working when driving the car and no matter how tight you make the bolts things will loosen over time. After finding this, I decided to weld most of the upper frame to prevent this from happening. The frame was accurately aligned then welded, but not all members were welded, this was done for future service. There was only two sections that were not welded this was done for boiler removal. The car drives more stable and the average speed is 20 mph so far, it was driven with a top speed of 25 mph. This is something to think about when doing a new build.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down