Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

+11
Stork
Millepa
Goliewogs
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
Grier
TheFodenBrothers
jjtjr
mikero
lynnr
Steam Traction World
binghas
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

Post  binghas Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

Ninth to sign up for the new batch of Lykas.
Based in Cleethorpes.
Any prospective builders close by?

Stuart

binghas

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-02-29

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Re: Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:54 pm

Hi Stuart,

Of the nine so far we have:

2 x Australia
1 x Belguim
2 x USA
4 x UK (inc you)

The UK one's excluding you are based in Wolverhampton, Northampton and Leigh so no one close by yet. Very Happy

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Re: Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

Post  lynnr Wed 02 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm

Hi Steam Traction World 

What's the mpg water and fuel?
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 02 Mar 2016, 2:31 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi Steam Traction World 

What's the mpg water and fuel?

Hi Lynn,

Funnily enough the Lyka is almost identical to the Stanley Steamers we have.

Average is 1 mpg water.....range of 6 - 10 miles (around 8 on average) depending on terrain and how hard it's working. On the John O Groats to Lands End run we covered exactly 1072 miles and just over a 1000 litre water container to achieve it.

Fuel is 8 - 10 mpg. Again dependent on hard it is working as only uses the fuel when the burner is running.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Wed 02 Mar 2016, 5:46 pm

So a four seater. with extra tanks, would have a reasonable range.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty new lika

Post  jjtjr Wed 02 Mar 2016, 6:04 pm

mike,
i'm just finishing a 4 seat lika, which is a 20' stretch of the 2 seater, the fuel tank is the same but the water tanks have a total of 23 gals. Which is about twice the 2 seater. I will let everyone know the final results.good to see more likas being made.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Likamobile builder here

Post  TheFodenBrothers Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

Hey Smile

Just signed up for mine! Cannot wait for it to start.

I am in Cirencester (Leigh) but will be soon moving to near Ross on Wye.

I am also just finishing off the 4 1/2 Foden kit from Steam Traction World and have been nothing but amazed at the high quality kits and and service - I think I'm hooked!

TheFodenBrothers

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Grier Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:29 pm

Hey! Does this mean we have ten confirmed deposits? And production is now a go!!

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 05 Mar 2016, 8:26 am

Hi Grier,

Andrew (FodenBrothers) was already one of the nine as he was actually one of the first enquiries we'd had and had asked me to put him down with a deposit to follow. (Which came thru on Thursday)

HOWEVER

We did take a tenth order from a previous customer based in France yesterday......so we will 100% be going in to production. cheers cheers cheers cheers

Not sure of a start date yet as Steve and I are still discussing the changes we intend to implement and the style boiler we are going to use. If we change to a different boiler we would also prefer to quickly fit it in a car and prove it out first.

I'll keep everyone informed as soon as decisions are made.

Thanks

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Sat 05 Mar 2016, 10:50 am

Steam Traction World wrote:
Steve and I are still discussing the changes we intend to implement and the style boiler we are going to use. If we change to a different boiler we would also prefer to quickly fit it in a car and prove it out first.

Now this sounds interesting. I've never been a fan of the Likamobile boiler/burner arrangement, so I'm eagerly awaiting news on this.

Eric

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty boiler

Post  jjtjr Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

It's not the boiler so much as it is the burner, the issues I had, are the 220v burner with heat build up, its operation and purge times and the inverter needed for its operation . I changed to a 12 volt burner and eliminated the inverter. This made its operation dependable.
As for the boiler goes, I had no problems with it, I like the water tube design, if you read the old articles of boilers used in cars it was common to have a stanley type (fire tube)when needing replacement to use a ofeldt type. It could be made of steel or copper depending on the pressures. I have mine safety set at 250 psi.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFodenBrothers Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

Really cannot wait for this kit to start! Very excited to get going and see what Steve and Dean might be changing Smile

TheFodenBrothers

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty new car

Post  jjtjr Tue 22 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

When I disassembled my car for the rebuild after the accident , I was surprised to find many of the bolted steel frame bolts loose. I know some of this could have happened from the accident, but there were areas that it was more from road use. The part I'm talking about is the body frame not the chassis frame.   The car is shipped in many boxes, this makes shipping throughout the world easier. I understand this point. This is what i've done. After you assemble and bolt the car together. The next step is to square the bolted assembly. It is important to use a flat surface like a garage floor.This was done with two tape measure,  measuring the length and diagonals and getting them within a 1/16"  < 2 mm. This is done on all sides of the assembly. Take note that the bolts are not locked down tight, but a little loose so you can move things around a bit, once all is square tighten the bolts down. Then I used my MIG and stick welder and welded the frame at all the bolted joints. There were some areas that I did not weld together. This was done for service reasons  there are not many. When welding be aware of heat distortion so clamp and move around to different areas when welding, a welder will know this, it is important.  I know that you may think this step is  unnecessary, but I found it was, so the body frame will not flexible. In the old days when roads were not like today flat and smooth , cars were riveted together because they wanted the flex, but this was in the chassis frame because welding had not been developed as it is today.  A good example is the ford model T. I like to hear from others on this subject.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty I am the 10th!!

Post  Goliewogs Mon 28 Mar 2016, 10:18 am

I am the 10th to sign up for the new Lycamobile mk2!!! I cannot wait to get started on this very exciting project, which I'm sure is the wish of many others! Perhaps STW can now at least start making and releasing the chassis components (kits) if they are not dependent on any engine/boiler modifications which are being spoken about. I live in France, my name is Greg,  and I believe there is another Lycamobile (mk1) already here in France. I would be very interested in hearing from that owner/builder how they got on doing 'battle' with the French in registering it for road use - assuming it has 'matriculation'!!  If so, what was the solution, what is the procedure please?? Please let me know!!  Many thanks.

Last edited by Goliewogs on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing word!)

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Yet another Lykamobile Steamer Series 2 on the blocks

Post  Millepa Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm

Hello,
I signed up for one of the new batch of Lykas last week.

Based in Aberystwyth.
Just clearing some space in the shed.
I hope to be able to drive her the 5 miles to work before I retire.
Millepa
Millepa

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-04-05

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Another potential owner

Post  Stork Fri 22 Apr 2016, 7:42 pm

Hello from across the pond (Florida to be exact),

I should be #12 or # 13, Just waiting to hear from Dean on Monday. I am a Model T owner (1920 Touring) but I have always had this curiosity for steam cars... Unfortunately, that curiosity took a strong hold when Steam prices went through the roof! So I was happy to see that STW was going to produce another batch!
Very excited to become a kit owner... now to wait.

Stork

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-22

http://www.robertblanchard.co

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty take a look

Post  jjtjr Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm

Stork,
You may be in luck, I go to The Villages in Florida  for the winter and will have my car with me this year. The plan is to drive it around. If you want to see it let me know.

Jjtjr
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Grier Sat 23 Apr 2016, 3:20 pm

Hey Everybody,
Wow! Maybe half the production is sold! I'm curious of where in the USA some of these kits are going. I was somewhere around number 5 to sign up. I'm located in Topsail Beach, NC. Also do we have a production date set yet?

Grier

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty Lyka in florida

Post  Stork Sat 23 Apr 2016, 5:22 pm

Jjtjr, would love to see her! Nothing better than to lay your eyes on something that is built that you eventually plan to build Very Happy Just need to plan around heading up to Disney...

Stork

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty lika yahoo groups

Post  jjtjr Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:27 am

For all lika owners and wannabees, Take a look at this lika yahoo group, its been up and running for quite some time now, it has a lot of good info of changes owners made. Just join so you can post.   When you join  click on more then database then fill out the tables. You can see all the lika owners and locations.  Also look at files and attachments
link   https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Likamobile/info

jjtjr
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty jjtjr... Q (Or for anyone else)

Post  Stork Mon 25 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

I have been looking at your videos... very nice build!

I also saw that you where looking into purchasing an 06 Stanley engine, so here is my question (actually 2) How does one go about finding an 06 Stanley engine? I found a Locomobile in the for sale sections but not Stanley (or does one just have to be patient/know the right people.
Question number 2: Why isn't anyone making the 10hp or 20 hp engines? I see the boilers and burners, I just find it strange that I can't find a machine shop that makes them in the suppliers sections (or do they not advertise)

I have never seen a 10HP or 20 HP in person but it looks like they can be manufactured be a competent machining shop (like STW). Or is there someone building replica engines like STW is doing with the Lykamobile that I have yet to read about. Seems like there would be a market for those that either want to build a replica Stanley, their own Steam car base on Stanley equipment, or better yet those who own Stanley's and don't want to put wear and tear on original equipment.

I have been waiting to ask these questions on the other steam clubs forums but I have yet to receive the activation emails...

Since I am new to the world of Steam cars I am sure I have a lot to learn!

Stork

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty stanley engines

Post  jjtjr Tue 26 Apr 2016, 12:53 am

Answer to the first question is  once you get into steam cars and talk to other guys that's when you find them. I have a friend that selling  me a  stanley engine.   Hershey swap meet located in Pa. is a good place to buy engines. I've seen many when I go.
The second answer is casting parts for stanley engines are still made, like cylinder and other parts. I just sold a day-land casting kit that is a replacement for a stanley engine.
The world of steam cars is a very small group and most guys know each other. once you make the connections with them, it all becomes easier.
Steam cars in the UK is much bigger then the USA. Not quite sure why.
I will be posting more videos on the car soon
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Stork Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:10 am

Jjtjr...
Thanks for the info... Would have loved building an STW H5 and I am sure if built they would have sold many extra engines.
But it didn't happen...
I'll keep a look out at Hershy for a 10hp,
Hopefully you will have your Stanley engine so I can study it to know exactly beat to look for, please take detailed pics for this newbe ...
Anyway, just waiting for instructions from Dean so I can lock in my position...
Okay back to my Model T!

Robert

Stork

Back to top Go down

Post  Stork Tue 26 Apr 2016, 2:11 am

Jjtjr...
Thanks for the info... Would have loved building an STW H5 and I am sure if built they would have sold many extra engines.
But it didn't happen...
I'll keep a look out at Hershy for a 10hp,
Hopefully you will have your Stanley engine so I can study it to know exactly whatt to look for, please take detailed pics for this newbe ...
Anyway, just waiting for instructions from Dean so I can lock in my position...
Okay back to my Model T!

Robert

Stork

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? Empty stanley engines

Post  jjtjr Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:12 pm

I have rebuilt a few stanley and mason engines over the last 3 years. Some times I will change the bearings to modern type, and had to make new piston rings. I will shoot a you tube video next time.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next