Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

+11
Stork
Millepa
Goliewogs
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
Grier
TheFodenBrothers
jjtjr
mikero
lynnr
Steam Traction World
binghas
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Deposit sent on Friday!

Post  Stork Sun 01 May 2016, 2:43 pm

Looks like I will be #17! My wife's lucky number! Monday is a holiday so I will hear from Dean on Tuesday...

Now to make the garage space (and keep it that way till the parts start arriving) My wife and mother in-law have a tendency to drop off random things in open spaces in my garage (they think a garage is for storage not working on 'mechanical thingies' (mother in-law exact words))

Have a great Sunday!

Robert

Stork

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-22

http://www.robertblanchard.co

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty #17 kit is sold.... to me!!

Post  Stork Wed 04 May 2016, 1:41 am

Spoke to Dean today... very nice chap! We talked a bit about the kit and other things Stanley (including the H5 which I would have loved to have as a kit as well, maybe one day)

So now we are at 17 kits sold.

Can't wait to get that first box!

Have a happy day tomorrow!

Stork

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Its JULY !!

Post  Grier Fri 01 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

Okay its July ! Have we started production yet Smile

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Early steam Locomobile information and stories

Post  Millepa Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:38 pm

Hi, I am, like most of you, waiting for production to start on the Lykamobile Steamer Series 2.
I am not sure but I think mine will be #11 in the new series.
While I am waiting to start I wanted to ask about where I can get some information about the steam Locomobiles of the early 20th century (1897 - 1903).

These are the books that I have found so far:

Oldtime Steam Cars. A 144-page comprehensive but brief history of mostly American steam car builders (Locomobile 3 pages).
by John Bentley.

The early days of motors and motor-driving-steam cars. 34-page booklet features the Locomobile a lot and describes the working principles.
by H Walter Staner.

Light Motor Cars and Voiturettes First published in 1902, 119 pages of helpful advice for prospective car owners (Locomobile 5 pages).
by John Henry Knight

Can anyone suggest some further reading?
I understand that about 400 were imported to the UK. Are there any axamples preserved in museums in the UK?
I have read short pieces about Hubert W. Egerton and his epic John O'Groats to Lands End trip in December 1900 and would love to read more.

Please share your favourites with us all.
Millepa
Millepa

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-04-05

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904

Post  Grier Tue 05 Jul 2016, 9:17 pm

I purchased the following pamphlet from the Stanley Museum in Kingfield, Maine:

The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904 by Donald L. Ball. Its about 55 pages with a fair amount of pictures and technical details.
I can't remember the price, but is was less that $20. I searched on Google and their website appears to be down, so here is their contact information:

Stanley Museum
40 School Street
PO Box 77
Kingfield, ME 04947

Phone: 207-265-2729
email: Maine@StanleyMuseum.org

Best Regard,
Grier

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Early steam Locomobile information

Post  Millepa Thu 07 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm

Thanks Grier,
I will see if I can get a copy of this booklet - The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904 - by Donald L. Ball.

If I come upon any other books/documents relevent to the steam Locomobile I will post information to this forum.
Millepa
Millepa

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Just signed up for the new Lykamobile

Post  Brian B Mon 11 Jul 2016, 1:06 pm

Hi all..Just signed up for the new Lykamobile.  I have wanted one for years but got carried away with Kit cars, making toys  for grandkids and model engineering.  I am located in Doncaster and would be happy to chat with anyone about the cars.
Keep it up

regards.  Brian B
Brian B
Brian B

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-07-11

http://sheddingitall.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904 by Donald L. Ball.

Post  Millepa Thu 28 Jul 2016, 6:55 pm

Millepa wrote:Thanks Grier,
I will see if I can get a copy of this booklet - The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904 - by Donald L. Ball.

If I come upon any other books/documents relevent to the steam Locomobile I will post information to this  forum.

Just recieved the book "The Genealogy of the "Locomobile" Steam Carriage 1899-1904 by Donald L. Ball. " it arrived safely.
The book is $8.95. I checked mailing it and it will be $12.60 for First Class International mailing. Priority mailing was around $36.
Millepa
Millepa

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Signed up on 5th May

Post  AlanD Wed 03 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm

I am in Hertfordshire and signed up for a Lykamobile on 5th May. Must be about 20th in the list. I had some queries and e-mailed STW, with a most helpful reply; I am looking forward to working on the steam car knowing that there is someone helpful available. Several cars seem to be going to UK owners, but we are well spread out to judge by other entries in the forum.

AlanD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-03

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Re: Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

Post  Stork Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm

The best book on Stanley Steam cars... really the bible, is Kit Fosters book "The Stanley Steamer, America's legendary steam car". Worth every penny.... But it is basically Stanley only with the first 5 chapters on the Stanley and early steam cars including the deal with Locomobile/Mobile. After that its all about Stanley Steamers through the years.... lots of pictures and charts on production,type, hp etc.

Stork

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Re: Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based?

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Sat 20 Aug 2016, 9:34 am

Stork wrote:The best book on Stanley Steam cars... really the bible, is Kit Fosters book "The Stanley Steamer, America's legendary steam car". Worth every penny....
Can confirm. It's the definitive book on Stanley Steamers. There's really very little on the subject that's worth knowing that isn't in there. It may even be one of those rare, expensive books that'll keep its value and become a collectors item in a few decades.

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty The Stanley Steamer: America's Legendary Steam Car by Kit Foster

Post  Millepa Sat 03 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

Very Happy Thanks Chaps,
I just got a copy of the book The Stanley Steamer America,s Legendary Steam Car By Kit Foster
from Stanley Museum, P.O. Box 77, Kingfield, ME 04947                      

It was $50.00 for the brand new book and $66.50 to mail it to the UK.
A bit expensive but it looks worth it, from my first impressions.

It would seem that books about the Locomobile Steam Cars are very few indeed.
If anyone knows of any others, please let us know.
Millepa
Millepa

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Hi i'm building the lykamobile 2 i live in weston-super-mare west country

Post  covonia1 Sun 06 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

He Who Must Not Be Blamed wrote:
Steam Traction World wrote:
Steve and I are still discussing the changes we intend to implement and the style boiler we are going to use. If we change to a different boiler we would also prefer to quickly fit it in a car and prove it out first.

Now this sounds interesting. I've never been a fan of the Likamobile boiler/burner arrangement, so I'm eagerly awaiting news on this.

Eric

covonia1

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-07-26

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty The size of the basket over the burner

Post  Swedish mechanicus Fri 09 Aug 2019, 6:02 pm

We are three guys in Sweden who are building Lyka serial two. The plan is to make the body a bit longer over the burner.
If someone who has Lyka serial one would help us with two measurement we would be happy.

How long is the basket behind the body?

How long is the basket under the body line?

If you mail me I can send a photo

Rolf Johansson in Sweden rolf.dodge34@gmail.com

Swedish mechanicus
Swedish mechanicus

Registration date : 2019-07-27

Back to top Go down

Signed uo for the new Lkas, where are you based? - Page 2 Empty Things to think about with new build

Post  jjtjr Sat 10 Aug 2019, 12:02 pm

A few things to think about with a new build. Since I did a build and then a rebuild (accident ) I had the opportunity to study  the assembly of the car after about 2 years of lite road use.  This was the time in my opinion  to make some changes and upgrades

running gear  
This section went together very well, with a few exceptions  brake caliper leaks when the car was not used  brake fluid would leak from the calipers. My fix was to install O rings in the caliper.
The differential (In the USA we call them pumpkins)   when assy is done the first axle nut and lock ring are installed, but there is insufficient space to install lock ring and nut for the other axle. Most guys eliminate the lock ring. What I did was to machine the nut a little thinner. The two halves the differential must be sealed with a Permatex  type sealant or the oil will leak out over time. I use Corn Head grease. This is a grease that is used in farm equipment. When worked its like a heavy weight  oil when it cools, it turns into a grease. Also the way the diff is filled is to remove a bolt which is part of the assy. hopefully you pick the correct bolt. (some guys paint it a red color ) instead I drilled the bolt thru  to install a zerk grease fitting  so no more guessing.
Just one last thing for this part. After driving the car for quite a few years what was found was on start up   the engine fills with water. This water must be removed  before moving or bending rods will occur. Quite a few guys will move the leaver from forward to reverse to let the water out of the engine ( hydro locking ). What is happening is the D valve will try to lift from the cylinder,it doesn't work well and its very slow. what I did was to install cylinder drains. I got this idea from a Stanley guy. In times past 1900 they would jack one wheel off the ground to do this, not always easy or convenient.  I came up with a fix.
I will save this for the next  section. I know this is a bit long but there is a lot of info to exchange, if you want more   let me know.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2