Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foden wheel alignment

2 posters

Go down

Foden wheel alignment  Empty Foden wheel alignment

Post  gwr1475 Fri 15 Jul 2016, 2:35 am

Hi all,

Thought I would share last nights work on the Foden.

I have often thought that the Foden wheels were not in correct alignment, which was causing a considerable amount of power to be wasted for the wheels. Instead of simply rolling on the ground they are continually being pushed sideways, causing excessive friction. I had eye balled the front wheels a few times in the shop and it looked to me that they were not parallel to each other, and seeing a video of the Foden running it really looked in the video that the Foden was ''crab walking''. So.... I put the steering in mid position and measured distances a and b. My eye was correct distance b was 1/2'' greater than a. An adjustment was made to the rod that connects to two wheels together to bring the wheels parallel to each other. I than measured the distances c and d to test if the radius rods are correctly adjusted. I also measured the length of the radius rods. Measurement c was 11/16 smaller than d, the radius rods also confirmed this. Corrective Adjustments were made and the result is the Foden now rolls a lot more freely in the workshop.

Foden wheel alignment  IMG_1035_zps2wb2bwwo

hope all is well in your workshops

Mark
gwr1475
gwr1475

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Foden wheel alignment  Empty Re: Foden wheel alignment

Post  Steve Traill Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:10 pm

I had a friend who had an XJS Jag with the same problem, wore tyres out pretty quickly!

Turned out he had a cut & shut and the car had to be scrapped
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down