Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment

5 posters

Go down

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Empty Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment

Post  Phil Uridge Sat 02 May 2015, 4:55 pm

Just test fitting the Perch Bracket to the Smokebox and place a rivet in two corners as suggested in the instructions but the other front hole is out of alignment by half a hole.
Looking closer and the right side rivet holes are inline but the left side are all out of alignment apart from the from one (top left).

Has anyone any suggestions on how I can rectify.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Empty Re: Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment

Post  IanL Sat 02 May 2015, 10:35 pm

Have you painted the smoke box and perch bracket?. If so the thickness of the paint may have altered the alignment. If not then I am out of ideas.
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Empty Re: Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment

Post  Phil Uridge Sun 03 May 2015, 8:54 am

Ian,  

Thanks for your reply. I have painted the smokebox but its not very thick.

I am attempting to post a picture if it works you can see the next hole is very near inline. I think I will need to contact STW on Tuesday. Not sure if its the smokebox or the perch bracket that is out.

Phil

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Perch%20assy_zpshvyaqaba[/url]

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Empty Smoke box/ Perch brecket

Post  chas12154 Sun 03 May 2015, 9:55 am

Can I ask, did you try them together before you painted smoke box?

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Sun 03 May 2015, 10:46 am

No afraid not. I have only just received kit 2, the Axle and Perch assy. I received the smokebox some time ago and thought it won't hurt to give it a coat of paint. :/

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Sun 03 May 2015, 4:20 pm

You got kits out of sync then. Ive just finished my front wheels and hopefully getting kits 2 next.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Sun 03 May 2015, 5:58 pm

Phil the photos show the holes arel close and since the parts are on a curve even a thin coat of paint can make quite a difference. Suggesting scrapping the paint off is not easy but it may be the best solution. As trying to ease the holes will make the smoke box sit lopsided, which would then make the chimney lean not a good look!
I made similar mistakes with my build and became quite good at scrapping off paint I had spent ages getting to look good😥
Best wishes with the build.
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Sun 03 May 2015, 9:14 pm

Oh blimey, I'm getting worried now. Have removed the paint but there is no visible difference in the hole alignment. Still half a hole out but I must admit I had to check.
I have put two rivets in the left side of the Perch and it looks inline with the chimney base but if remove them and put two rivets in the right side it looks like the hind leg of a donkey. I will check it all with the chimney fitted tomorrow. What worries me is if I get this all inline and the boiler holes are off center I'll be back to square one pale

I wonder if Fred Dibnah had these problems Very Happy

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 04 May 2015, 7:23 am

Hi Phil, my advise would be to contact Steve, at STW, get him to look at pics. One set of holes may have drilled in wrong place.
When I was constructing my front wheel, I has one spoke B, that had the counter sink on the end, that goes in to hub, put on wrong side of spoke. Mistakes happen, cont Steve and let him see what he thinks.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Mon 04 May 2015, 12:22 pm

Charlie,

Many thanks I will do.

Thanks all for the support. I will keep you informed and looking forward to my first steaming.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 04 May 2015, 12:28 pm

No problem Phil, we all need help along the way, so many here to give it

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Mon 04 May 2015, 6:15 pm

Aren't some of the rivets false ones just for asthetic look rather than holding perch to smoke box?
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Mon 04 May 2015, 7:32 pm

Yes the second hole in is for the blanks on each side but its the fixing holes that are the problem. On the picture the one with the arrow is the main culprit, its half a hole out. Some of the others are not much better.
I have emailed Steve so hopefully get a replay later in the week.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 14 May 2015, 12:12 pm

Hi Phil, have you heard back from steve about your perch bracket holes?

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Thu 14 May 2015, 3:03 pm

Hi Charlie,

Sent the smokebox and perch back to STW just waiting to see what the fix will be. Should know by the end of the week.

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 15 May 2015, 7:01 am

Phil, thanks for replying to me. Hope you get back to you build soon

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment Empty Smokebox/Perch Bracket Hole Alignment

Post  its-me Tue 07 Jul 2015, 8:33 pm

hi , I got my smoke box kit a few days ago and I have realised I have the same problem pale , I removed paint and still no difference . how was yours fixed ??
thanks
its-me
its-me

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Wed 08 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi,

I sent it back to the factory but when it came back it was still out of line so I put a couple of bolts in holes that were inline and tighten them. Then drilled the nearest inline and put a bolt in. Then the same with all the rest. The worst one meant drill through the smokebox ring but that was no problem.

All is now well.

Hope this helps

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  its-me Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:02 pm

hi Phil ,
thanks I will do that then , got worried when I first saw it hehe
thanks
jamie
its-me
its-me

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

Hi, I had similar problem with mine too. The two holes that go though the smokebox/smokebox ring, where slightly out of line with perch bracket. All I done was to elongate so rivets blots fitted. You cant see them when together and it fits perfect now.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:43 am

Its Charlie again, should of said, "elongated the holes", just read back what I wrote, didn't make much sense lol!

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down