Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perch Bracket Lubrication

3 posters

Go down

Perch Bracket Lubrication Empty Perch Bracket Lubrication

Post  Rosss Sun 17 Apr 2022, 12:57 am

Hi People,

I'm back with more questions! Progress to date, Kit 1, both front wheels 95% complete apart from paint (might wait until I complete the front axle before starting painting, the axle will be easier to remediate if I mess up my first foray into painting). Kit 2, front axle, hope to start it at the end of this week. Kit 3 turned out to be Kit 4 LH rear wheel (spokes again 😂)

My question relates to Kit 2 lubrication. I done a forum search and found all the threads on the subject. I'm still mulling over the options, easy one is to grease and forget, 'hard option' (for me) drill and fit grease nipples. If I decide to drill, what is the standard/common/best nipple size and type? (There are more varieties than I thought)

Whilst sucking up all the STW builds on the internet I came across a few that show the perch with a drilled hole and a supplied nipple, possibly agricultural models? A question for STW I suppose, why do some models have ' built in' facilities for lubrication and others, the DCC, not?

Happy Easter

Regards

Stewart

Rosss

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-02-08

Back to top Go down

Perch Bracket Lubrication Empty Re: Perch Bracket Lubrication

Post  elwood-59 Sun 17 Apr 2022, 10:23 am

Hi Stewart,

Don‘t know about the Agri, my DCC came without holes for grease nipples. Wanted to make it easy to grease the steering head so I drilled and tapped both the perch bracket and the pivot for M6 (as I had them laying around anyways). The nipple for the „vertical“ part of the pivot I drilled through the hole in the rear of the bracket, whereas I drilled vertically into the flange of the pivot also at the rear. In both cases I used a small grinder on the dremel to make a small circular groove from the hole all around the part hoping this will ease the grease to reach all the circumference.

After test fitting I used my grease gun and saw grease coming out between the surfaces all around. So I think it works. Had the same grease „collar“ also when I regreased after first year, so job done.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 17 Apr 2022, 10:25 am

Hi

The DCC actually has. The big hole in the back of the perch, just add some oil on top of the pivot and it will make its way down. 10 years and thousands of miles never had a problem.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 17 Apr 2022, 10:50 am

Ha,

here we go again, oil vs. grease.lol!

I personally just did not like to oil the pivot, so I modified. Oil might have been working also, but for such type of „connections“ usually grease is used, I learned.

But again, everyone to his taste and as one has past experience.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosss Sun 01 May 2022, 12:10 am

Hi Elwood, Lynn,

Elwood, I searched the forum before posting and viewed all your posts explaining your mods, quite interesting.

Lynn, I seen your posts as well re oiling. What oil would you recommend from your experience?

I'll have a long think about it, no general consensus, builders/forum seems split on the subject.

Thanks people for your opinions.

Stewart

Rosss

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down