Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoke Box Door Hinge

3 posters

Go down

Smoke Box Door Hinge Empty Smoke Box Door Hinge

Post  T140 Sun 15 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

Evening,

Almost finished Kit 3 but for one thing, fitting the hinge to the smoke box door as the instructions that I have don't mention how this is achieved. Firstly the 3.5mm rivets were very tight in the hinge and door holes so I have relieved the holes slightly. So once I insert the rivets what next, do I clout them until they round over because if so they are tough little blighters as I started to do this earlier and they are far too long to simply mushroom?

Advice please.

Many thanks again.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Smoke Box Door Hinge Empty Re: Smoke Box Door Hinge

Post  Simon B Mon 16 Feb 2015, 2:08 am

Hi Richard,

I had the same issue, the rivets were tight the first time I tried to fit the hinge it just bend, so I eased the holes a bit so that the rivets passed through. The next problem was that the rivets were very long so I cut them down until they were about 3mm proud of the back of the door then hammered them flat into the countersink, if you don't get them flush with the door then it won't shut properly.

On the outside I used a small rivet snap held in the vice so as not to damage the outside rivet heads.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Smoke Box Door Hinge Empty All done

Post  T140 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 9:21 pm

Cheers Simon, did just as you said and all worked well, luckily the hinge stayed nice and straight to so the pin just pushes in and out.

But there is always something else, I need to remove some material from the hinge posts that are screwed to the box ring, at the moment they sit high and there is a gap between the door and ring, not much work needed to right this so I'm happy.

Best wishes.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm

Hi

Remember the dart will pull the door in somewhat when tightened up.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down