Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell in running mode

+6
LilyJack
TonyT
Big Al
Steve Traill
hughb
malcolm
10 posters

Go down

2" Burrell in running mode Empty 2" Burrell in running mode

Post  malcolm Thu 23 Apr 2009, 6:53 pm

To all 2" builders.

I thought I would try to give you all a little bit of encouragment and let you know that today I have had my engine running on compressed air. With the valve timming set as instructed in kit 20 as soon as the valve on the air line was opened the engine started to run and operates satisfactorily in both foreward and reverse mode.
I am using a Clarkes Tiger compressor with an output of 6.3cfm and the pressure at present set down to 60psi and this copes well, eventually I shall up the pressure to 100psi and see what happens.
I would encourage other builders to try this as it is a great feeling to see 18 months of work come to life.

Malcolm

malcolm

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell in running mode Empty Re: 2" Burrell in running mode

Post  hughb Thu 23 Apr 2009, 9:20 pm

Hi Sounds good .... Shocked .As I was taking to a work collage about running my engine on air and when ,can he and a mate be there, ..But I have a number of holes in my Clynder block ??
Well done Laughing Smile
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell in running mode Empty Running on air

Post  Steve Traill Thu 23 Apr 2009, 10:13 pm

Good idea to run it on air first just to check all is well & it's easy to shut down and alter anything. One word of warning though when I first ran my 4'' (which was built in the lounge on a sheet of ply) on air it sprayed oil up the chimney all over the ceiling. Everything was assembled with plenty of oil on it. The splatters are still there four years later !!!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell in running mode Empty Re running on air

Post  Big Al Fri 24 Apr 2009, 7:19 am

How do you manage to get it running on air with all those holes in the boiler and missing bits from the cylinder block?

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Fri 24 Apr 2009, 8:50 am

Thats great news Malcolm Very Happy

Steve,are you and Dean going to supply the blanking bits to run our engines on air Question Not all of us have workshops to make parts,personally I'm working out of a 6x4 shed,the kitchen table,and outside when the weather allows sunny

cheer's Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 24 Apr 2009, 9:22 pm

Ho yes blanking plugs . I did not think of that . May be I am going mad Shocked as my mates say .HUM
cyclops
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Fri 24 Apr 2009, 11:18 pm

Evening Big Al,

I discussed that today with Dean mate, and yup, blanking plugs is the way forwards on this one and they're going to see about placing a link onto this site with regards to suppliers for the items (plugs) which evidentally be cheap as chips ( they're only bloody bolts after all )..
It'd probably be an easier way like this as you might find a mixture of ME threads, metric fines, metric course, bsp and allsorts so at least we'll be pointed in the right direction from STW.
Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sat 25 Apr 2009, 9:03 am

Hi Guys,

Steve had the day off yesterday to get a steam ticket for his crawler. When he is back on Monday i will ask him to do me a list of the blanking plugs needed. I will then contact Arthur at www.steamfittings.co.uk and ask him to put a set of plugs together and add them to the website for you guys to purchase. The only thing 'cheap as chips' are chips but i'm sure they won't be expensive. Very Happy

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 28 Apr 2009, 11:58 pm

Hi Guys

Well my crawler passed. Dean was a bit miffed that I needed to take the day off to get it done. Mad

Anyway, all the bits to get your engines running on air will be supplied in the next kit. All you will need to supply is a 1/4" BSP male adapter to connect to your air line.

There will be 5 Blanking plugs, plus plates with gaskets to block off the Safety Valve and Governor mounting faces. The 1/4" BSP adapter will screw into the SV plate. All this for no extra charge, that's got to be cheaper than chips. Sad

Also included with the kit should be the pressure gauge, water pump and clack valves. Very Happy

Fingers crossed that there are no production or supply problems.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 29 Apr 2009, 7:24 pm

Hi htanks looking forward to it
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Wed 29 Apr 2009, 9:12 pm

Steve/Dean

Thanks in advance for the free plugs I feel sure all the guys will be most happy with STW'S generosity Very Happy

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Wed 29 Apr 2009, 10:04 pm

THANKS STEVE

BRUCE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Thu 30 Apr 2009, 12:20 am

Cool sounds like fun i wonder how hard i'd have to blow to get it all turning round.. Very Happy

Steve you must know the awnser to this question.. why is there a big plug needed in the front tube plate? was this used for making the boiler as it wont be used fo anything other than pugging up with the plugs in the next kit will it?..I was just wondering thats all Very Happy

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Thu 30 Apr 2009, 3:01 pm

Steve Traill wrote:Good idea to run it on air first just to check all is well & it's easy to shut down and alter anything. One word of warning though when I first ran my 4'' (which was built in the lounge on a sheet of ply) on air it sprayed oil up the chimney all over the ceiling. Everything was assembled with plenty of oil on it. The splatters are still there four years later !!!

This sounds just like my build aswell Steve.. built in the dinning room well re named "work shop "and i'v managed to wreck my nice cream carpet Laughing O well never mind all part the fun..

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 01 May 2009, 11:10 am

Hi Jo

The tubeplate plugs main purpose is for internal inspection. It can also be used to fill the boiler with water, but there are other ways.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down