Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steam Test

5 posters

Go down

Steam Test Empty Steam Test

Post  busman Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

Have just started kit 14 , a week ago enquired at local MES regarding having a steam test done when finished which will be early next year. Was told by a member that the biler inspectors wanted to see boiler before anything bolted on, after spending a Sunday afternoon bolting cylinder block on, I am not willing to take it off for anybody! esp as this is brand new with a hyd test carried out. Have read about individual tests being done some with cladding on some off , please give me some advice if anyone else has had this prob put on them, Ikmow this is an ongoing subject but surely there sure be a standard proceure regarding a manufactured boiler of this quality.

busman

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Steam Test Empty Re: Steam Test

Post  lynnr Mon 04 Mar 2013, 6:11 am

First thing. Get the requirement from the inspector first hand! Chinese whispers and all that.
The Steam Traction World Royal Sun Alliance build and hydro test certificate is good enough for a commercial inspector so would be plenty for a club inspector. My commercial inspector was happy if the cleading was still on but I had it off anyway for other workings. He did a visual cold inspection through the bungs with a scope, checked the threads of the flanges for the bungs and fusible plug, inspected the welding on the tube plates. Then asked when I can do the steam test.

If not I would go some place else. As the logic states if he wants to see the boiler before anything bolted on. What happens when he leaves and the next one wants you to strip the engine down to see the boiler again?
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:49 am

you also tend to find that that the cold/hydro and steam tests need to be done within a certain time of each other. usually a month.

something to bear in mind

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

As a boiler inspector....

no requirement to see a bare boiler that has a hydro certificate. If the boiler has had a hydro, which they obviously do have, and especially one that hasn't been steamed, the boiler inspector does not need to see it without cladding for its steam test. To be honest, it doesn't need to be seen until around year 10, and that would only be a cladding off grate out job, certainly not a block off, ever! Ask the boiler inspector personally, and if they say yes they want to see a bare boiler, ask them where in the boiler test code it says that an inspector must see a commercial boiler for test bare. It doesn't. Change clubs if they're going to be like that. Join Rugby if you like!
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:13 am

Well said with the comments above.

There is NO requirement to see a bare boiler that we are aware of. Steve's very first suggestion was change clubs!

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down