Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!!

+2
lynnr
forge
6 posters

Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!!

Post  forge Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

three pics taken of her finished, before she gets dirty with smoke etc at the weekend!Very Happy cheers king
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0010
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0011Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0012
Now let the fun begin....
Jon...

oh, are there any deals on a DCC road loco? lol!
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Congratulations

Post  lynnr Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:33 pm

Hi Jon

Gratz on completing your engine. Looks very nice indead Very Happy
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Re: Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!!

Post  forge Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

Thanks Lynn, it has taken a bit longer than i first thought but i am very pleased with the result.
Now trying to decide if i can afford or can budget for a 4" DCC.... Question
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Re: Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!!

Post  Robfishman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

Looks great welldone Jon
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty First steaming

Post  Tony King Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

Hi Jon,
Your engine looks really good, well done.
Best of luck at the week end with the steaming.............. hope you can find time to get pictures of the "action", then bung em on the forum for us all to see!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

Thanks Tony, I will try to take a few videos while she is running for all to see... watch this space....
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

Hi Jon,

Have a great weekend at the rally.

Engine looks great, you should be proud.

All the best,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty First attempt to light a fire...

Post  forge Sat 06 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

Lit a fire for the first time today.
here are a few pics
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0110
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0111
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0112

I found the best way to get the fire alight was to place a lit fire lighter in the ash pan below the grate.

First problem was with the water gauge cover. the plastic melted while i had the firebox door open!
But my addition of the rear indicator plate helps to see the water level.
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0113

I got as far as getting a good fire going and the start of some pressure, only for the whistle to fail ie" start whistling non stop" so had to drop the fire.
Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0114

looks like i need a stronger spring in the whistle...
Also the water valve feeding the injector is leaking.... i get a slow drip from the injector drain pipe with everything turned off. is this normal and if not how do i stop it?

will try to sort these few problems tomorrow and try to raise some real pressure. But for my first try at lighting a fire etc i am very pleased with progress...

Now for a few questions for all those who have been here before....
how much water should i have in a cold boiler when i start "1/2 or 3/4 up the gauge" and how much steam will i get before i need to add some more water... I could not stop the whistle from leaking so did not build enough pressure to turn the engine over although there was enough to run the blower.

HOW DO I KNOW IF THE INJECTOR IS WORKING? now much water does it pump into boiler and what pressure does it require?

if i can stop the whistle valve from leaking, i hope to be able to raise enough pressure for the engine to turn over when i try again in the morning!
This steam thing is getting addictive!!!
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Congratulation and Celebrations

Post  lynnr Sat 06 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi

Gratz on the first steam Brian. Few teething problems but not surmountable.

Nice set of UPS batteries used as a end stop.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Sat 06 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

Thanks Lynn, i will try again in the morning as the whistle is now fine after a bit of adjustment. i wonder if it will leak when she heats up tomorrow.
and i have another question,
my mechanical lubricator empties its contents of oil very quickly. how much oil should it be pumping?
i had a large oil puddle in the smoke box after my test today, and i only turned the engine over a few times to check the pump was pumping.

I was using the ups batteries to power a small water pump for filling the boiler and will try an old 12v fan to draw the fire tomorrow.

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Img_0115
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Oil consumption

Post  lynnr Sat 06 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm

If your drain cocks are open you may draw a lot more oil through the clyinders and since your scale is 2" you have about 200th the capacity of oil held with possibly higher rpm than the full size. This could explain the high oil pumping.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Sun 07 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

well i had another go today...
managed to get 20psi on the gauge, think i need better / hotter coal, just used some charcoal in the end but it did not burn not hot enough and the ash blocked up the grate.

i still have a small leak on the whistle, the Lubricator non return valve is letting steam back into the oiler and the injector water valve is leaking. apart from these few problems i think i should be able to raise some good pressure if i can get the fire hotter and burning well...

What type of coal is best and how much should i put into the fire box?

I will upload a link to a short video later. waiting for it to upload to youtube.
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty First steam test video!!!!

Post  forge Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

Enjoy...

will be a couple of weeks till i can try again....
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty Coal

Post  lynnr Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:12 am

Hi

Retail charcoal for BBQ has cement powder in it to hold the small quantity of combustible material together so could be why you got blocked bars.

Deep mine Anthracite beans or peas from http://www.the-coalman.co.uk/products.aspx?sca=2 appear to be a good bet on a good bed of kindling soaked in paraffin overnight. Some suggest a fire lighter in the smokebox to help with the drafting at first, also kinder on the boiler than a fan.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty i have managed to get the fire to light etc...

Post  forge Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:08 pm

Very Happy quick video.
sorry for the lack of in scale turning when i ran out of garden! Embarassed

First question, how do i keep the water level within the range of the glass gauge. i think the water level is dropping too low and i am having difficulty getting it back up, even though the water in the tender is dropping.But very pleased i can light and keep a fire burning. One step at a time... cheers
Jon
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Jonathans 2" Burrell engine and Wagon, it's finished!!!! Empty First running

Post  lynnr Wed 17 Aug 2011, 8:20 am

Hi

First turn was rather unorthodox. Certainly can not do that with a 4".
Are you blowing down you sight glass to make sure it is clear of obstructions? or hopefully you have not forgot to open a valve some place.

But Congratulation on the next step forward. She, I take it the engine is a she, runs on her own steam. Rather nice chuff sound as well.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  forge Wed 17 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

Lynn, thanks for your reply.
I have been blowing the gauge down. I did have a small leak on the bottom feed pipe so i wonder if that would effect the water level in the glass.
I also has a small leak on the output side of the water pump so that may explain why i did not pump enough water into the boiler. but and her is a good question
does water spray in the chimney or should i say water spray from the chimney in my face, mean i have too much water in the boiler?

does anyone know of a good set of instructions which explain the steam side of a traction engine? I think i just need to sort the few leaks out then have another go....
Oh will have to respray the cladding over the winter as i now have a few paint bubbles caused by hot oil splashing onto the boiler...

Jon
forge
forge

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sat 20 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

forge wrote:Lynn, thanks for your reply.
I have been blowing the gauge down. I did have a small leak on the bottom feed pipe so i wonder if that would effect the water level in the glass.
I also has a small leak on the output side of the water pump so that may explain why i did not pump enough water into the boiler. but and her is a good question
does water spray in the chimney or should i say water spray from the chimney in my face, mean i have too much water in the boiler?

does anyone know of a good set of instructions which explain the steam side of a traction engine? I think i just need to sort the few leaks out then have another go....
Oh will have to respray the cladding over the winter as i now have a few paint bubbles caused by hot oil splashing onto the boiler...

Jon

Bonjour n all that european twaddle, firstly, PUKKA JOB OF THE ENGINE OLD BOY!!! It's bloody brilliant when you first get a fire lit in them aint it Very Happy

I have to cast me mind back a bit here but water will splatter out of the chimney if there's too much water in the boiler (carry over), but also, as your engines cold when you first light up, there's a lot of condensation going on in the cylinder which has to go somewhere (in your case, straight outta the chimney), just a thought but try just havin the cylinder drains open juuuuuuuuust a wee bit so they dribble until you've got good heat n pressure right throughtout the engine, mine does the same when she's cold but once nice n warm, mainly a bit of splat here n there but nowt worth mentioning, and besides, no point in runnin a steam engine if ya not prepared to get ya mush covered in crap Razz . My claddin bubbled a little bit after a good few steam ups, I found the VERY gentle use of T-Cut and lottsa polish afterwards brought it all back up to a really pukka shine again but obviously it's only temporary, once being used, it soon all gets crapped up again..

You'll get the hang of water levels versus steam pressure versus cold water chuckin in versus keepin a good fire versus having time to open a cold one drunken

Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down