Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unknown builder

4 posters

Go down

Unknown builder Empty Unknown builder

Post  highpressure Tue 05 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm

Found this on Youtube from yesterday. Are you registered on here? Another nice engine running, very smooth.

highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Unknown builder Empty Re: Unknown builder

Post  Graeme81 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:30 am

yes that is me!
that was the first time she ever ran, a couple of issues but we sorted most and hopefully will be in steam this wkend. i will post more video if the weather allows us to steam. we ran her around the yard on air ...even in 3rd and we were most impressed - at 35-40psi she moved in third gear Very Happy
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:04 am

Congratulations and Sneaky. She does sound nice on air. Surprised with the lack of compressor noise in the clip. I am highlandsteam on YouTube
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:23 am

yes i have been watching your youtube videos with interest. am looking forward to all the videos from the coming rally season...
would love to get over to the stw open day this year with the engine but if the irish government keep going the way they are i will be lucky to even get to a show here coz nobody will be able to afford to run one!!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Unknown builder Empty damn waterpump!

Post  Graeme81 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:14 am

went to light up for the first time yesterday but unfortunately it was not to be Mad had everything ready to go but just before I lit the fire I tried one more test. I filled the tanks with water and connected the air hose - just to make sure the water pump was working. soon as I turned on the pump I got soaked. there were some big squirts of water from the pump casting pale upon investigation there were 2 holes in the casting and water was clearing quiet a distance back across the coal bunker. so none the less we didn't raise steam on the injector alone.
I will contact Isabel Monday morning and hopefully will have a replacement by Thursday and it should be fine then. also I don't have the bung for front of the steam chest just below the hp cylinder. if anybody knows the part number for this I would be much obliged - save me rooting thru all the notes to find it. thx
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:19 am

It's just a grub screw with tape on it.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:40 am

Your water pump sounds like one of the untested ones from the first batch, others had the same issue (Lynn inlcuded if I recall) and there were some tests done on the pump castings once it was known there was a fault in some. I took mine back and changed it fopr a tested one before fitting it as I had seen the posts. I also had the water pipe from the pump squirt water, the silver soldering on the union was not complete all the way round when I took it off after applying some heat to it. I cleaned the joint and soft soldered it as it was at the pump end and it worked fine last weekend.

As Lynn said, the hole is just from the cross drilling of the steam passages, a grub screw was supplied that needs fitting with PTFE or other jointing method. mine was leaking a bit which does result in it steam coming out through the hole in the cover that is threaded and intended for use with a bolt to remove a sticking cover, it looked for a while like the cover itself was blowing so make sure it is well sealed. there is another one in the front of the block on the HP side near the blower opening too.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm

been on to Dean and a replacement one is being shipped to me at the minute (i think!) so hopefully full steam ahead this weekend cheers
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down