Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple of thread sizes

2 posters

Go down

Couple of thread sizes Empty Couple of thread sizes

Post  highpressure Thu 03 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

The windermere kettle is under way making use of an old 3" shell case which has a good heavy base to help keep it upright which is also sealed so lends itself to make a quick and simple kettle body. After measuring I have found the blower pipe is 3/16" which just happens to be the size used for copper brake pipe so any motor fators carry it for a cheap price ( £2.80 per M ) I was going to connect directly to the blower outlet but two things have caused a change, somewhere to stand the kettle itself which will now be on the top of the tool box and dont want to constsntly undo the union as it will cause it to fail. So I am going to make a small adaptor piece to locate a 90 deg globe valve before the lifter valve which will fit the bill nicely.

I would like to know the thread on the blower valve as I will need to tap the hole in the adaptor to this size and the thread for the lifter union as I need to fit the adaptor here with tapped hole one end for the valve and a thread on the other end to go into the cylinder block. I know they are both ME but still dont know how they ascend in size & t.p.i. Mad Metric is so much simpler!!!
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Couple of thread sizes Empty Re: Couple of thread sizes

Post  highpressure Sat 05 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Found out the threads, 5/16 x 32 ME which I have a tap for and 3/8 x 32 ME which I need a tap and die for to make an adaptor. Thanks for the replies, help was invaluable Neutral Rolling Eyes
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 06 Jan 2013, 1:34 am

Sorry Kev, should have replied, but was a bit confused as to what you were trying to achieve. I now have the extra bits for plumbing in my Windermere kettle.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down