Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the Road!!!

2 posters

Go down

On the Road!!! Empty On the Road!!!

Post  highpressure Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:23 am

Went to the Sewards do yesterday as the weather was lovely, not a cloud in the sky, about 16 deg and a light wind. Very relaxed and engine friendly, I forgot something so had to go back home and left my highly capable assitant ( The Coleman ) doing the light up. By the time I had returned we had a full head of steam and all was under control.

The road run was 2 oclock so we headed off to the entrance to join a 4" Foden, a full size Wallis tractor and a full size Burrell Showmans and set off. Their route was about 14 miles around the local town of Peterfield, and whilst I felt confident that we would survive 14 miles was a bit daunting so we opted for the shorter route which we measured on leaving at just a shade over 3 miles.

The engine behaved beautifully, no dramas, no unexpected noises, bags of power and a very comfortable speed in third without thrashing the motion, certainly a brisk trot trying to keep up along side. I would estimate 5 - 6 mph. Andy had a go a driving as did I and we both commented about the prospect of 10 miles on Steves. It would actually go by quite quickly. On the return journey we encountered several rollers that had decided to go out too and got a couple of shots.

Heading out at the beginning.

On the Road!!! Img_0410

Pulled over for a midrun oil round.

On the Road!!! Img_0411

Andy at the helm!!!

On the Road!!! Img_0412

On the Road!!! Img_0413

In the setting afternoon sun after a quick clean ( so much easier when the oils still warm )

On the Road!!! Img_0415

On the Road!!! Img_0416

Definately feels like I have got past the "bedding in, sorting issues" stage and can enjoy some serious hours of running and get some miles under the belt. I had intended to fit a bike speedo from the start to keep a record but havent got round to it yet. Hopefully over the next few weeks. The motion is now very smooth and ticks over with virtually no boiler pressure at all when shutting down. Another excellent day with a very happy owner and thanks again to Andy, makes the whole experience much nicer with two and the setting up and break down so much easier.

Delivered to centre organ to the Stearnes who were positivley bursting with excitement when it started to play. They have nearly finished all the horses and have very kindly named one of them Gemma after my daughter and as she is Unicorn mad have given it a horn too!! Looking forward to seeing it in its trailer and some shots of it insitu.

On the Road!!! Img_0417
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

On the Road!!! Empty Re: On the Road!!!

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 02 Oct 2012, 9:16 am

Well done Kev, good to hear you had a good run out without leaving any parts on the road, you must be made up now aftwer the last few weeks of teething troubles.

Did you see the Meerkat Centaur on the gallopers?

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Yes indeed both Sergie and Alexander, and mentioned the connection via the build.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down