Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steaming again!!

+13
craig@STW
IanL
Tony King
Steve Traill
Steam Traction World
lynnr
sonick45
Tim Watson
Kiwiconnection
bjwlancashire
Rickster
Dan
highpressure
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Steaming again!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Steaming again!!

Post  Tony King Thu 20 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

Hi Kev,
As I just said on Lynns post, really appreciate your passing on your experiances, as it's a great help to us following on behind.
You'll be able to work on your engine in the dark by now!! Very Happy
Look forward to pics.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Hi Tony,

I'm more interested to see how all the rest fair. I cant believe that I will be the only one who has any issues in the early days, but wether any one else will confess to all the various things that happen is another thing. I don't think that it is my ability to assemble that may contribute, although I would admit that attention to detail can be occasionally lacking!! Embarassed Although I have developed better fitting skills and I really understand the engine now especially when it doesnt sound right. I had another issue at the end of yesterdays run and picked it up very quickly and will know if I have solved it when we fire up Saturday.

highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

I have not had many serious issues. Just to be expected running in and tuning of a brand new build. As far as I see you only serious issue was the valves and that was just bad luck I world say.

I think i have been quite honost with my ramblings. It would be nice to hear from others as well.

I may have more problems once Crystal get moving beyond 5 seconds or more than 30ft
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 20 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

Indeed and the valve timing change was due to the hornplates moving due to me NOT putting JB weld on the bolts when first assembled!!!! Evil or Very Mad Most of the leaks have been due to me NOT putting any/enough tape on when putting fittings together Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Learn by your mistakes!!!!

However I am fairly happy most of the issues have been ironed out now confirmed by Saturday being quite stressy and Sunday being a joy and just what I had hoped for, as well as yesterday going smoothly. As I told someone at the weekend despite having had a 4" agri for 3 years and covering many miles in that time I had no issues at all with it so didnt learn a great deal about sounds it makes when poorly. I felt like I learnt more in the two days last weekend than in the last four years of steaming.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Steaming again!! - Page 3 Empty What a superb day!!

Post  highpressure Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

Just to bring everyone up to speed, went to the Kingsfold Vintage rally near Horsham yesterday with The Coleman and my family!! Hoped to have a good day with no issues and had exactly that cheers cheers The engine ran beautifully from 9.30 till 4.30. Used the wood method to get steam up this time and with a slight headwind only took about 20 minutes to get the blower working. Once hot it ran like a sewing machine, the "thunk " noise I had was indeed the main bearing on the LP conrod which was easily solved by the slight thinning of the halves allowing the adjuster to work and taking out the slack. Stayed in first all day and just crawled round the site, getting very used to the regulator as it is now and can run on a whisper of steam at a snails pace. Need to sort out the start button at a point in the future but still have 5 events to go so wont be till late October I expect but if you get the flywheel in just the right place just as the regulator opens it takes up and pulls off with no dramas.

Finally got to a point where it feels like I have overcome most of the teething issues now and feel very pleased that I have been able to identify and resolve noises etc. Now I can look forward to a number of events and really enjoy getting miles in and showing everyone what a wonderful investment and job STW have done in producing these engines.

Said it before and loads of others have said it too and will again THANKS Steve, Dean, Craig, Isobel and all the other STW guys for such a great piece of British Engineering. cheers cheers

P.S. Whens the roof coming out???? Havent had a kit for a few weeks now Razz Razz Laughing
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

Hi Kev
I just wanted to say thank you for the last couple off months letting me drive your new engine it has
truley been a learning experience Very Happy im looking forward to when my engine is finished.

Last edited by coleman on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

I couldnt be happier to have some one who has the enthusiasm to accompany me!! I have always wanted to have a two man seat and when the teas ready it is a right pain trying to steer and drive and drink without spilling it!!! You'll certainly be at ease with yours when its finally running, still got a few more to go yet. Cool
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

Spoke to Isabel on friday fingers crossed hoping for two kits next friday which will leave 15 kits. So still all of next session to learn
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:47 am

I like the avatar Laughing Laughing either thats a big boiler or a small person!!!
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Steaming again!! - Page 3 Empty steaming again

Post  Watts&Son Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:46 pm

Firstly I must appoligise for not posting the progress on our engine, I admire Kevin, Lyn and others for finding the time to post their building progress on the forum. I suppose that is that is the problem, finding the time. Anyway, we have steamed our road loco 3 times, the first steaming about 3 weeks ago was to see how many leaks we had. Fired the engine on wood, got to 30psi injector, whistle, leaking, quite bad with a few minor leaks elsewhere. The second steaming was a lot better. Got to 100 psi injector still blowing through but injector still worked very well, put the reversing leaver foward and away she went! turned over very well, only problem was we could not stop it. With the reversing leaver in mid gear all was well, the double high was letting steam through. I decided to take valve covers off, there was some casting sand deposited in the low pressure port, all seems ok. The injector steam valve was re-seated, whistle valve sorted and as Kevin suggested to blank off the double high valve, I also had the lubricator sorted with the help from a member of our local model engineering club, this was done by making the valve rod 1mm shorter and slightly larger diameter with a not so strong return spring. Last Sunday we had the third steaming, what a difference, injector ok, not blowing through valve. With the double high blanked off, cracked open the regulator and the engine ran perfectly. We raised steam to blowing off, all went well but the safety valves would not shut off completely, there must be muck under the seating. I decided not to use the pump, I have put a spacer between the pump eccentric to clear the valve eccentrics as they seem tight for space, I may have to pack out the pump to bring it in line. I have not fitted the crankshaft gear to drive the pump as I wanted to make sure the engine ran smoothly, so this is the next job, along with sorting gears. There is steam comming from under the lagging. I am sure it is the water soaked into the wadding under the lagging, much the same as Lynn has experienced. Probably steaming again this weekend. Cant wait, what a brilliant engine regards, David Watts.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3