Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with metal fabrication

4 posters

Go down

Help with metal fabrication Empty Help with metal fabrication

Post  highpressure Thu 28 Jun 2012, 5:49 pm

Can someone point me in the right direction to find out how to fabricate the following. In my quest to become an organ builder I have launched a website recently and made several busker type organs which have been received very well, however they are made mainly of stopped flute pipes due to violin types being rather tricky to make. I have however persevered and have today managed to get the right sound. However in order to get the right sound they use a harmonic freign in the windway and this is a very important component to achieve this. I need to find someone who can punch me out the shape so I can drill and fit them myself, I have tried to make something like this but my metal work skills are simply non existant due to a lack of patience and tools/equipment. I am thinking of perhaps them being punched out or water cut but dont know who to contact or which would be best. This is a couple of shots of professional freigns in place and the one I am experimenting with.

Help with metal fabrication Img_0023

Help with metal fabrication Img_0025

Thanks Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Help with metal fabrication Empty Drawing of part

Post  highpressure Thu 28 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

Not being able to use any sort of CAD this is about as good as it gets for the dimensions of the part needed. I would need at least 24 just to make the experimental unit and then who knows depending on pipes in the organ and numbers of organs

Help with metal fabrication Img_0026
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Help with metal fabrication Empty Re: Help with metal fabrication

Post  hudmut Thu 28 Jun 2012, 10:53 pm

http://www.modelengineerslaser.co.uk/

The place above would be able to help you with your cutting if needs be and i could do a little drawing for you in Cad no bother at all so you can get them cut. As for bending id look at a little fly press and some thing like a V block to get you going once your set up you could fire them things out 100's a hr

I use laser cutting alot its a great tool but cutting brass that thin not many do it but the site above do lots of kits in brass of all size's so should be very accommodating in you needs

Just let me know if you want the drawing
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 29 Jun 2012, 1:01 am

Kev

Hudmut beat me to it, I can recomend Malcolm at Model Engineers Laser, I do know him and he has done some 7 1/4" gauge stuff for me but he does do a lot of garden railway scale locol kits in brass and steel to so this would be no problem for him. He would convert to CAD your hand drawing for a price or you can ask Hudmut to do it for you.

He is based in Doncaster but travel around a lot so could met you somwhere or he will post them to you. He does a lot of lectures on the topic at shows and clubs so you never know where he might pop up.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri 29 Jun 2012, 7:25 am

Thanks Hudmut, looks just like what I had in mind, if you can do the drawing for me so I can send it to him. I suspect looking at the website he will be cheaper than any firm. If you want a copy of the picture of the drawing I can send it to you otherwise just take it off the forum.

Thanks Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:09 am

Hi Kev

I am guessing to maintain tone the radius on the fillet to the tab is also critical? You have not stated the size there.

Just a thought. I may be talking complete bovine by-product.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:22 am

Hi Kev

Ill do that for you no problem at all but im sorry to say you will have to wait until Monday until I can do it as im going to be away this weekend at a show but if you send me your email ill get the file set over to you.

What I would like to ask is how many do you want because some time's you are better of joining a few items on what would be called tab's it my sound daft because you pay for every time the laser is turned on or of and if you can join a few items up you can in fact cut the cost down on the work you are having done for you are switching that laser on and of a lot less.

As a side not you could dream up a tool/block that could be used to bend them all so and have that cut at the same time in steel and as your a wood type try and imagine having dove tail joints so the hole thing just slots together then there is no welding and you have your bend just how you want them just use your pillar drill as a press.

I can do a rough drawing on this to so you can get a better under standing of what im trying to say all I need is the angel of the bend you after.

Stu
hudmut
hudmut

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri 29 Jun 2012, 8:44 am

Hi Lynn,

Radius is irrelevant, the tone is affected by the straight edge in the windsheet stabilising its flow and reducing harmonics in the air colomn in the pipe body... Sounds very flash eh!!! but I am beginning to understand pipes and how they work.

Stu,
If each freign were joined together side by side on the edge that measures 10mm at the top they could come out as a long line and I do have the use of a shear at the local ME so could cut them up. The leading edge ( 22mm ) dimension is the one that needs to be clean and square so that cant be joined. I want at least 25 to try them out on my organ and then would want probably at least 100 for srock purposes. One organ could have two rows of 12 pipes or possibly two rows of 22 pipes depending on the spec. I would need to experiment with different arrangements of pipes to find a sound I think is suitable. The angle of the bend is not critical and something I could even do with pliers, the shape is what I cant do. No worries about the drawing next week I woouldnt have expected anything this side of the weekend, I too am out at the Sussex Steam engine club Wiston Rally.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Tue 03 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

Hello Kev

Do you still want me to do a little drawing for you if so can you please PM you email so i can send you the file when done

Stu
hudmut
hudmut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down