Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

to gasket or not to gasket

3 posters

Go down

to gasket or not to gasket Empty to gasket or not to gasket

Post  andyc Mon 13 Dec 2010, 3:00 pm

Hi,

Finally got to get my hands dirty again today after what feels like months of painting and cracked on with the cylinder kit. I have cleaned the valve chest cover and mating face up and was going to try it without the gasket. I was wondering if this had been succesful for others or whether the gasket is the way to go ?.

I was also wondering what the general concensus was for the hornplate fixings. JB weld seems a bit too permanent. I can remember foliac being mentioned but didn't know what others had used.

Regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

to gasket or not to gasket Empty Metal to metal or gasket

Post  lynnr Mon 13 Dec 2010, 3:07 pm

Hi

Having been around father for years as he inspected pressure vessels of all shapes and sizes. You never see metal to metal. The joint always have a gasket of some sort even if it is a sheet of paper with wax oil pored on.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

to gasket or not to gasket Empty Re: to gasket or not to gasket

Post  andyc Mon 13 Dec 2010, 3:46 pm

Hi,

That was probably me being unclear. The instructions give the choice of a gasket or foliac and i was going to try with the foliac.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 19 Dec 2010, 8:15 pm

Hi Andy

I had this same thing from some mates in the club ..In the end I used the gasgit...But Exclamation and here
is the thing that is good just one of them said to use both the folic past on both sides of the gasgit .
I found this to be best and not had a prob .I do not however know if this is what is intended Question ..
Good luck and do say how you get on> Very Happy
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down