Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof design for the showman

+3
Robfishman
Tim Watson
Brian M
7 posters

Go down

Roof design for the showman Empty Roof design for the showman

Post  Brian M Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

Hello STW,

If you have not started the roof design for the showman, can I please ask that you consider an option for a ‘sun roof’ as shown in the thread For all the Showmans builders... Therefore, allowing the drive to sit closer to the engine whilst being able to see the pressure gauge, water levels and so on.

Thanks,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Roof design for the showman Empty Re: Roof design for the showman

Post  Tim Watson Mon 13 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

Mine will be built so that the centre of the roof can be removed right up to the cylinders. I'm not in favour of gynaecological engines and I want to be able look down on the engine, resting with my elbows on the tea/beer counter i.e. roof. We have had conversations about having a remote control for the regulator taken to the back of the cab for convenience in road runs and the like.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

I'm with Tim and Would be looking to have 2/3 of the rear section of the roof removable. so am expecting to have a bit of additional work to do to modify the design if it's not supplied that way. Thinking I would leave the fascia boards and cross members fixed and have removable panels for the roof sections. That way the main structure would not be compromised.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 14 Feb 2012, 7:15 am

If anyone has any pictures of a showmans completed in 2010 by Ian Barker I think his name is from the South west he has done exactly that. The roof is almost skeletal but allows full view of all the gubbins but looks normal from the side. I might be imagining it but I think Old Glory did a spread on him a while back in the miniatures sectiont. A very nice guy, I met him at Powderham castle and a truely stunning engine.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:41 am

Here you go, saw it at Boconnoc in 2010.

Roof design for the showman P1030410
Roof design for the showman P1030411
Roof design for the showman P1030412
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:11 am

Ohhh nice, much better than being covered in. Looks quite a comfortable driving seat as well.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:01 am

My thoughts at the moment are that the Road Loco will be provided with a fairly easy to remove roof, with no cut out or openings for driving. Builders can decide for themselves what suits them best.

The Showmans is a different matter. I’m still keen on the Steve & Tims idea of hinging the roof so it can be moved out of the way for maintenance purposes etc. I probably won’t include any form of standard cut out or removable section(s). Its one of those things that is a matter for personal choice perhaps even being adjusted to suit the physical characteristics of the builder. What ever I was to design would suit some and not others. I will however ensure we order a reasonable amount of spare roof ribs that could be purchased to suit individuals own ideas.

I’m also working on an idea from Tim to remotely operate the regulator and starting button which would make road runs a far more ‘pleasurable’ experience.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Roof design for the showman Empty Showman's roof

Post  Tony King Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Steve,
I'm totally with you on this issue, I personally would like the "minature" engine to look like the full size engine, ie full roof.
I may well design & fit a "sunroof panel" which will help with driving etc, so your idea of being able to purchase extra ribs etc, may well be the perfect answer to all builders, who can then "modify" to their hearts content.
It would be quite a nice way for engines to become very personel to their builders!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

Yep quite happy to carry our a modification, and as above I expected to have to modify this as was aware the roof as standard could be hinged. Option to buy additional ribs would be useful as it will save time and make sure they are all the same, saves me manking all new ones.

Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down