Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

steam breakdown !!!

3 posters

Go down

steam breakdown !!! Empty steam breakdown !!!

Post  STEAM KNUT 1 (Anthony) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

Hi guys
Just to let you know that my engine has been running for a month now.
Yesterday went to a rally in my town. My engine steamed well, and ran my miniature baler very well.
But after a few hour stop turning over !
So I took the slide valve cover of and discovered that the slide valve had broken of the rod.
I am planning to make a stronger one by reinforcing the thread with a gusset on either side.
Just wanted to know if any one else had the same problem.

Cheers
From the sunny South of France Ant
STEAM KNUT 1 (Anthony)
STEAM KNUT 1 (Anthony)

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

steam breakdown !!! Empty RE Steam Breakdown

Post  thehawk Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

I had a similar problem. The cap that holds the spring on the slide valve managed to slip off the retaining ring and jammed the slide valve breaking off the threaded piece that connects with the valve gear. The problem turned out to be too much clearance between the cap and the steam chest cover slide allowing it to jump off the slide valve. STW made me a deeper cap and since then all has been fine.

Having had this experience it is well worth everyone checking the clearance between the spring cap and the steam chest cover plate to make sure the cap has enough overlap on the slide valve retaining ring.

regards
Paul
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

steam breakdown !!! Empty Re: steam breakdown !!!

Post  AlexinSuffolk Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:19 am

Yep we had the same problem, on the very first steam up! started to ran well then jammed solid and dropped the fire out quick as possible, we have remade the valve buckle and all seems well when last steamed, although currently awaiting a new brake band and leadscrew from STW as this has sheared (something to watch for if you have a Mk 1 batch MW Burrell).

Cheers
Alex

AlexinSuffolk

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

steam breakdown !!! Empty Re: steam breakdown !!!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down