Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Control Model at GDSF

+5
craig@STW
Graeme81
Robfishman
Rickster
highpressure
9 posters

Go down

Control Model at GDSF Empty Control Model at GDSF

Post  highpressure Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

Here they are. Looks seriously impressive now and certainly reassures that the next few kits are well and truely under way. Hopefully this will finally silence all those doubters that seem to be forever expecting the worst... Jealously is such a poor trait....
Control Model at GDSF 100_6417

Control Model at GDSF 100_6418

Control Model at GDSF 100_6510

Control Model at GDSF 100_6511

Control Model at GDSF 100_6513

Control Model at GDSF 100_6512

Excuse the 4th picture I seem to have fallen over trying to take a shot of the casting for the genny. Looks very smart though. The drive gears were very well finished and from what I can gather simply fitted on without any hassle. They slipped in and out without any binding at all and are a thing to behold. The casting for the diff housing looks like a back breaker!!! Shocked Not passing any comment on the weyshaft bracket!!! affraid

Roll on the next few months. Very Happy Very Happy

highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Control Model at GDSF Empty Re: Control Model at GDSF

Post  Rickster Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

Wow !! Well done for the pictures. Looks absolutley fantastic. I can't believe there are actually people out there that are doubting this new Company and its products.

The whole thing is nothing short of fabulous. Well done all at STW - as everyone else, I can't wait for the coming kits.

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

Just noticed, even the eccentrics are radiused off as per full size - you don't often see that in any scale !

Superb !

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Looks very impressive indeed, Very Happy Very Happy

Hope you had a good day.

Last edited by Robfishman on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

than you for the pictures - can you please post more! one of the complete engine in the shot
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:57 am

looking at those pics i gotta say that does not represent the true stage that we are at in production. the safety valve and governor are stock items from our 4inch Burrell and a few of the other parts must of been finished as one-offs for the shows. but yes, we do have all the generator castings in and the con rods etc are all done Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:42 am

Craig,

Do you know or can you find out what the output of the generator is expected to be, I assume this will be dc current I was just wondering what the avaiable power output would.
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

Vapor wrote:Craig,

Do you know or can you find out what the output of the generator is expected to be, I assume this will be dc current I was just wondering what the avaiable power output would.

Steve is the one to ask on that, and as he is at the show i won't be seeing him till next week. so if anyone is heading down over the next few days, maybe they could ask him ?? Question
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Control Model at GDSF Empty Lecy output

Post  lynnr Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

110v ac would be very useful
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:10 pm

Lynn

Unless it's an alternator or you fit an inverter then AC is not an option Sad
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 03 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

Not really knowing much about the technical side, I wonder if an alternator could be installed where the exciter sits?
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

But then it wont look like a generator as would have been fitted.
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 04 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

That's Very true.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

Do you know or can you find out what the output of the generator is expected to be, I assume this will be dc current I was just wondering what the avaiable power output would. .

a full size burrell scenic showmans is puttig out about 28,600 watts from the primary and in around 8,900 from exciter, i am not sure what way this reduces in 4inch scale but im sure there will be plenty of useful power available!
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:58 am

Graeme81 wrote:
Do you know or can you find out what the output of the generator is expected to be, I assume this will be dc current I was just wondering what the avaiable power output would. .

a full size burrell scenic showmans is puttig out about 28,600 watts from the primary and in around 8,900 from exciter, i am not sure what way this reduces in 4inch scale but im sure there will be plenty of useful power available!

Graeme,

The figure of 28.6Kw is quite impressive but I am confused about the exciter I assume this must have been separate from the main (or primary) generator one would also assume that this would be for providing the field current for the main generator and not for external power, all the photos only show one generator so I wonder where the exciter is unless it is housed within the main generator?? Does anyone know?

Secondly 28.6Kw is great but that is just the power output and is a product of the voltage X the amperage which does not tell me what the volts or the amps are if you can find out what either one is then we can work out the other.

Ian

Last edited by Vapor on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor grammer :) and spelling)
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Control Model at GDSF Empty What the generator will do

Post  Steve Traill Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Electricity is like weight in that it doesn't scale very well, talking to Steve over the Dorset week the generator at the front will hopefully pump out about 30 - 35 amps at 12volts. This will be enough for some 75 x 5watt bulbs to replicate the lights on Ex-Mayor. (75 x 5w divided by 12v = 31.25amps) The electricity produced obviously depends on engine revolutions so there is a balance to be struck on that. As I understand it, & Steve will have to confirm, the same motor/dynamo will be an additional option to fit in the exciter dynamo therefore doubling the capacity of the generating if something else needed to run from the engine. In standard form it will generate enough to light up the engine like Ex-Mayor if thats what you want. Who's going to be first in fitting a mobile phone charging point on the roof!!! could be a money making service at the rally field judging by Dorset last week.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  FosterGP6NHP Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

A senic engine(full size) has an electrical system that is known as the Ward-Leonard system, basically the main dynamo supplies the ride motors, the auxiliary/exiter dynamo which is separate and behind the chimney belt driven from the main dynamo supplies the rides lights, water pumps etc and exites the main dynamo when required to operate the rides motors. Based upon what Wm. Fosters were using on there 10nhp engines the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P8c, 750rpm 280 amps @ 110v DC. The auxiliary/exiter belt driven from the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P3c,1350rpm, 80 amps @ 110v DC. The 7nhp machines used a P7c which was 200 amps @ 110v DC.

FosterGP6NHP

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

FosterGP6NHP wrote:A senic engine(full size) has an electrical system that is known as the Ward-Leonard system, basically the main dynamo supplies the ride motors, the auxiliary/exiter dynamo which is separate and behind the chimney belt driven from the main dynamo supplies the rides lights, water pumps etc and exites the main dynamo when required to operate the rides motors. Based upon what Wm. Fosters were using on there 10nhp engines the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P8c, 750rpm 280 amps @ 110v DC. The auxiliary/exiter belt driven from the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P3c,1350rpm, 80 amps @ 110v DC. The 7nhp machines used a P7c which was 200 amps @ 110v DC.

Ah at last an answer, I am very familar with the "Ward-Leonard" system of control this also confirms my statment that the "exciter" was controling the main generator/dynamo fields thereby controling the output current of the main generator.

With regard supplying upto 75 12v 5watt filament lamps you could consider using the LED warm white versions which consume much less current and also have a much improved life span this would either allow more lamps to be powered or any other appliances in fact you could fit a 12v to 230vac inverter and even power something that requires 240vac mains Very Happy
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Control Model at GDSF Empty LED's

Post  Steve Traill Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

Good idea if extra power is needed, personally LED's look a bit too modern for me and they don't have the dimming effect you get with a filiament bulb when the engine revs vary.

Yer pays yer money

Yer makes yer choice

as they say
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  FosterGP6NHP Fri 09 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

Vapor wrote:
FosterGP6NHP wrote:A senic engine(full size) has an electrical system that is known as the Ward-Leonard system, basically the main dynamo supplies the ride motors, the auxiliary/exiter dynamo which is separate and behind the chimney belt driven from the main dynamo supplies the rides lights, water pumps etc and exites the main dynamo when required to operate the rides motors. Based upon what Wm. Fosters were using on there 10nhp engines the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P8c, 750rpm 280 amps @ 110v DC. The auxiliary/exiter belt driven from the main dynamo would be a Mather & Platt P3c,1350rpm, 80 amps @ 110v DC. The 7nhp machines used a P7c which was 200 amps @ 110v DC.

Ah at last an answer, I am very familar with the "Ward-Leonard" system of control this also confirms my statment that the "exciter" was controling the main generator/dynamo fields thereby controling the output current of the main generator.

With regard supplying upto 75 12v 5watt filament lamps you could consider using the LED warm white versions which consume much less current and also have a much improved life span this would either allow more lamps to be powered or any other appliances in fact you could fit a 12v to 230vac inverter and even power something that requires 240vac mains Very Happy

From the amount of surviving senic engines being Burrell's a lot of people think that the senic engine was thought up by Burrell's, WRONG, it was thought up by Wm Foster's.
How would the LED's cope with the revs/volts rising?

FosterGP6NHP

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 09 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

Steve Traill wrote:Electricity is like weight in that it doesn't scale very well, talking to Steve over the Dorset week the generator at the front will hopefully pump out about 30 - 35 amps at 12volts. This will be enough for some 75 x 5watt bulbs to replicate the lights on Ex-Mayor. (75 x 5w divided by 12v = 31.25amps) The electricity produced obviously depends on engine revolutions so there is a balance to be struck on that. As I understand it, & Steve will have to confirm, the same motor/dynamo will be an additional option to fit in the exciter dynamo therefore doubling the capacity of the generating if something else needed to run from the engine. In standard form it will generate enough to light up the engine like Ex-Mayor if thats what you want. Who's going to be first in fitting a mobile phone charging point on the roof!!! could be a money making service at the rally field judging by Dorset last week.

That’s my idea of powering a 4" scale fairground ride straight off the engine out the window without a degree in electrical engineering, some clever wizardry and a working exciter dynamo. But i'll not be beaten that easily. Smile
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down